Extracting Hashes And Cracking SAM Files

kidstar64

So i work for a little computer shop and getting passwords is a pain and sometimes doing the little safemode trick will not work for various reasons. so i want to find the most efficent way to crack them. i know cain and abel will but it need either a wordlist of rainbow tables. anyone know what size rainbow table would cut it or any good word lists.

Note: Most all password i see are not secure.

Well, since most people cant remember i cant simply ask them. How big of a LM rainbow table would i need?

No, most people do remember.  If they forgot, lift up the keyboard on the back there will be a nice sticky note with the password on it.

anyway.... i have the ranibow tables but their extention is .lzma and when i try to use 7-zip  to extract it comes up with a message saying that its not an archive. Any ideas?

It would generally be best to make the largest set possible unless you have a specific need to fit the tables into a limited amount of space. The only reason I could see to limit the size of the tables would be a requirement to store them on a more mobile than a USB HD. If its just going to be a spare box sitting in the corner...

But, if they have forgotten  there password, there are also other methods. Linux live CD to pull off the personal data, resetting the administrator password with a boot disc, reinstalling XP over the previous instillation while leaving the data intact. I know for a fact that even if you generated a full set of tables using the all charset, it wouldn't get my passwords.

It would generally be best to make the largest set possible unless you have a specific need to fit the tables into a limited amount of space. The only reason I could see to limit the size of the tables would be a requirement to store them on a more mobile than a USB HD. If its just going to be a spare box sitting in the corner...

But, if they have forgotten  there password, there are also other methods. Linux live CD to pull off the personal data, resetting the administrator password with a boot disc, reinstalling XP over the previous instillation while leaving the data intact. I know for a fact that even if you generated a full set of tables using the all charset, it wouldn't get my passwords.

the correct way in helping someone who has forgot there password is to reset it, not to find it out.

Its not a hypothetical question. I need to extract .lzma archives. 7-zip will not work. I have vista, is that the problem?

Yeah, we have no idea whether this is an archive you're supposed to have access to. There are ways, Google knows them. Some are more effective, some are less. If you want to do something like this you'll have to do your own research.

Do people read the posts or do they just glance at them?

Anyway, to extract lzma archives you need to use a CLI extracter available from the 7-zip website.  It's called the LZMA SDK. 

And for those who don't know, if he needs to recover passwords he can't just overwrite them.  If he did he world lose access to any encrypted files on the hard drive.

Ok, I might've misread bits of this thread, it's not hard to do when you're so bored of people trying to crack shit...

Regardless, he never said whether anything on the hard drive was encrypted, providing that's not the case changing the password works just as well.

Anyway, as I've said, I've seen people ask this question too many times to care, there's a zillion sites out there with tutorials about how to break Windows passwords and if people actually put effort into finding/reading them perhaps it'd be a little easier.

ok so i tried extacting the .lzma file VIA the CLI and im a little confused on the usage. There are 5 LZMA named

lm_alpha-numeric#1-7_4_2400x40000000_all.rt.lzma.md5sum
lm_alpha-numeric#1-7_4_2400x40000000_all.rt.lzma
lm_alpha-numeric#1-7_3_2400x40000000_all.rt.lzma
lm_alpha-numeric#1-7_2_2400x40000000_all.rt.lzma
lm_alpha-numeric#1-7_1_2400x40000000_all.rt.lzma
lm_alpha-numeric#1-7_0_2400x40000000_all.rt.lzma

so when i specify the input file, how do i get it to extract from all 5 archives. and the output file, what do i name it. *.rt or something diffrent.