Network-attached Storage with RAID

larynx

I have a Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo Edition 1.5TB and I'm looking to buy a (reasonably inexpensive) network-attached storage device that supports RAID 0 (and if possible RAID 1). I looked at the Linksys NSLU2 but it doesn't support RAID with the factory firmware and I'm not looking to install any of the unofficial firmware (e.g. UnSlug, OpenSlug, etc).

Does anyone know of any solution?

Thanks in advance.

With that amount of data you should be looking for RAID5. The Drobo (automatic non-user interactive easy plug it in and it works) had a NAS extender (the Drobo it's self is purely USB 2) that plugged in to the Drobo via the USB port at CES. Don't know if it's available yet.

I haven't looked at whats available in a while but a place like newegg, tiger direct or CDW would allow you to easily narrow down your requirements. I can personally vouch that the Buffalo Terastations are crap. Their performance is horrible, stay far away. Leo Laporte often answers this question so I'd check the Tech Guy show notes wiki.

Oh and there's always building a freenas. We just built a new one at the hakhouse and its running great!

I''m running  FreeNAS on a old AMD Athlon 800MHZ system with a Promise FastTrak TX2 card with two 300GB HDDs in Stripe, I also have two 750GB Drives setup individually for more storage, as the TX2 won't see the full size of the drives, even though the card is 48-Bit LBA. But it works like a charm, and has been running for months now, no hiccups, nice ans smooth operation. So I would recommend FreeNAS if you have a older PC laying around that could be utilized for something like this.