laptop acting up again

shadow1100mfp

sometimes when i don't have time i use the power button on my laptop; and every month or so it screws up and says its missing the system file and once i run the setup disk (repair... chkdsk /r) it freezes, i shut it off for 5 minutes because it gets really hot, turn it on and its fine. is there something that will fix this? i use the power button because i don't have time to hold my laptop until it shuts off because the fan never stops and the laptop over heats if its set on a surface  (so whenever i use it i have to prop it up on something to get alot of air flow, which doesn't exactly make it easy to use)

and another question i had about my laptop is an error (ill attach a picture) it says:

the procedure entry point getprocessimagefilenamew could not be located in the D/L/L PSAPI.DLL

and the title bar says something about smartbridge... it isn't really bad as far as i can tell, its just annoying to have to click ok everytime i start my laptop.

any help is greatly appreciated  :-D

sometimes when i don't have time i use the power button on my laptop; and every month or so it screws up and says its missing the system file and once i run the setup disk (repair... chkdsk /r) it freezes, i shut it off for 5 minutes because it gets really hot, turn it on and its fine. is there something that will fix this? i use the power button because i don't have time to hold my laptop until it shuts off because the fan never stops and the laptop over heats if its set on a surface  (so whenever i use it i have to prop it up on something to get alot of air flow, which doesn't exactly make it easy to use)

and another question i had about my laptop is an error (ill attach a picture) it says:

the procedure entry point getprocessimagefilenamew could not be located in the D/L/L PSAPI.DLL

and the title bar says something about smartbridge... it isn't really bad as far as i can tell, its just annoying to have to click ok everytime i start my laptop.

any help is greatly appreciated  :-D

Buy a fan setup for your laptop. They have ones that sit under the laptop and use USB to power them. They really do help, although most are made poorly and the power chords seem to go rather quickly.

As far as the dll problem, sounds like it might be a conflict with another peice of software or the file is corrupt. You can run system file checker to see of there is a problem with it, but I suspect another program is causing it issues. There are quite a few links on google about people having the same problem with PSAPI.DLL file. It is a system file that should not be disabled. Maybe search through microsoft for a solution:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?m...mp;x=9&y=10

thanks; so it isn't the power button thats causing the issue? because i only started using the button a year ago and it started about a month after that... the only soft ware i have on the computer is like the stuff that comes with the laptop, itunes, limewire, bit comet, bit tornado, google video, daemon tools and the sims 2. nothing EXTREAMLY out of the ordinary, that would cause this problem is it? (its pretty stripped down i just use this laptop for internet and sometimes some music and videos)

what do you mean by using the power button?

i hold the power button until it shuts off, instead of start> turn off> shut down

If you do that all the time your doing the equvilant of pulling the power cord out of a desktop pc.

what do you mean by using the power button?

i hold the power button until it shuts off, instead of start> turn off> shut down

If you do that all the time your doing the equvilant of pulling the power cord out of a desktop pc.

or pulling the battery out while the laptop isn't plugged in. The end result is usually bad sectors on the hard disk.

Go into the power control panel and see what the Notebook settings are. Some laptops only put it into sleep mode when using the power button. If th ebattery dies after that, you lose any settings that were not saved becaus it wasnt truly powered off, only put to sleep and saved in ram. Make sure it says power off when using the power button and not sleep or hibenate.

Buy a fan setup for your laptop. They have ones that sit under the laptop and use USB to power them. They really do help, although most are made poorly and the power chords seem to go rather quickly.

As far as the dll problem, sounds like it might be a conflict with another peice of software or the file is corrupt. You can run system file checker to see of there is a problem with it, but I suspect another program is causing it issues. There are quite a few links on google about people having the same problem with PSAPI.DLL file. It is a system file that should not be disabled. Maybe search through microsoft for a solution:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?m...mp;x=9&y=10

is there a particular cooler setup you reccomend? i've seen a few for like 30 bucks and some for more than 80. I don't want to spend too much on it, because i soon have to buy a laptop for college, at which point i won't use the old laptop much.

I have an Antec, but the power cable broke shortly after purchase, so I would stay away from them if possible. Maybe just a defect in the one I got, but the one I have only had two fans and was noisy. Here is a link to a few others. Dont use them for price guids, as you can get them as low as $10.00 in some places, and online, just use it to see the different types. Search google for better deals if you want, but newegg usually has the cheapest prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php.../Laptop_Cooling

I would go with one that has aluminum tops and multiple fans, and stay away from any that are all 100% plastic so you can get one that stays cooler and doesnt warp over time from the heat. The usb cable is the part I would be most concerned with though as you do not want it breaking on you. The only way to know about that part is read some reviews and see what the quality is on them. Newegg usually has good reviews on things like this.

What Brand and Model of laptop are we talking about? Laptops generally do run hot - prehaps yours just needs to be cleaned (Physically remove dust etc)

I don't understand what you mean by 'using the power button' are you forcing it to powerdown by holding the button in for 5 seconds, or are you just closing the lid of your laptop and letting it hibernate / stand by, I have seen problems with brining laptops out of stand by and hibernation - my current laptop (An ASUS F3J running Windows Vista) is a real pain!

If you are tavelling alot I would invest in a Solid State HDD

What Brand and Model of laptop are we talking about? Laptops generally do run hot - prehaps yours just needs to be cleaned (Physically remove dust etc)

I don't understand what you mean by 'using the power button' are you forcing it to powerdown by holding the button in for 5 seconds, or are you just closing the lid of your laptop and letting it hibernate / stand by, I have seen problems with brining laptops out of stand by and hibernation - my current laptop (An ASUS F3J running Windows Vista) is a real pain!

If you are tavelling alot I would invest in a Solid State HDD

it's a gateway; its about 4 years old now maybe? i don't know the model or anything. i know laptops do run hot, but this is insanely hot; hot enough that i can't hold it, and its not just the laptop its the power cord too; its a brand new cord and it gets just as hot. It probably does need to be cleaned/get a new cooling system; but i don't want to tear apart my laptop to clean it, right now this is the only computer i have that supports itunes and works. how much would it cost to get the cooling fixed, rough guess?

and; instead of shutting down the proper way, i hold the power button until it shuts off and then i close the lid. sometiems i have to leave really quick, and the computer doesn't always shut down all the way but goes to sleep instead, so to make sure it shuts down i hold the power button. usually though i do shut it down properly; but it's just been screwing up over and over again and id like to find out how to fix it if i can

if you hit the power button on a computer it shutsdown but its the exact same as start shutdown and um if your laptop over heat in the 5 second you shut down you got cooling issues

it doesn't over heat in those 5 seconds; but if left running while sitting on a surface, it will within 10 minutes guaranteed, and sometimes it doesn't shut down all the way when i do start/shutdown but goes into sleep; and everything is still running while it is in sleep it just shuts off the screen (same thing with the desktop i have that burned out). it doesn't over heat while i use it because i prop it up on my leg so it gets alot of air flow; im going to circuitcity this week to buy a cooling stand for it because im sick of it over heating.

Does your battery take a full charge, or always charging?

Try running it without the battery and just use the power chord when your not away from a plug. Batteries can make the thing hot too if they are always charging. My laptops power supply gets hot when charging the battery and the battery gets hot while it charges. Unless your running off the battery, remove it. It only adds to the heat. Also, disable all sleep and hiberbate modes and just tell it to shutdown at instead.

Also, a can of compressed air can fix built up dust in two seconds and make things run A LOT COOLER, but you dont want to blow it directly into the back of the fan area without taking it apart first, or your just going to lodge it further into the machine and create more insualtion for heat build up.(make sure yoru grounded before working on the insides) You will notice a big difference once its cleaned. And dont take it in to curcuit city or best buy  to have them do it. They will just raid your hdd and copy all yoru files for their amusment, and probably not fix it anyway. I wouldn't trust them to do any work on a computer, let alone clean one properly without breaking it or causing ESD damage in the process.

Does your battery take a full charge, or always charging?

Try running it without the battery and just use the power chord when your not away from a plug. Batteries can make the thing hot too if they are always charging. My laptops power supply gets hot when charging the battery and the battery gets hot while it charges. Unless your running off the battery, remove it. It only adds to the heat. Also, disable all sleep and hiberbate modes and just tell it to shutdown at instead.

Also, a can of compressed air can fix built up dust in two seconds and make things run A LOT COOLER, but you dont want to blow it directly into the back of the fan area without taking it apart first, or your just going to lodge it further into the machine and create more insualtion for heat build up.(make sure yoru grounded before working on the insides) You will notice a big difference once its cleaned. And dont take it in to curcuit city or best buy  to have them do it. They will just raid your hdd and copy all yoru files for their amusment, and probably not fix it anyway. I wouldn't trust them to do any work on a computer, let alone clean one properly without breaking it or causing ESD damage in the process.

i wouldn't haha. a coworker of mine also runs a home computer business and he would do it for free; but i do run it with the battery, and it takes a full charge (the battery and cord wore out a couple months ago at the same time, so i replaced both). but the heat is generally coming  from the back left corner, and the battery is in the lower right; that part keeps somewhat cool but the back and especially the left corner get really hot. i don't think this will help; but i notice that my fan isn't very stong; it hasn't decreased in proformance (it wasn't any stronger when it was new) but my my other gate way laptop's fan is much much stronger and quieter (you can barely tell its running), and that stays rather cool, it's about 2 years old now.

Ok as mentioned holding the power button for 5 seconds is basically pulling the plug... not good... help Windows out by letting it shutdown properly.

Have a look at your power options, when you close the lid tell it to shutdown.

I tottally understand about not wanting to rip your laptop apart ;) I bought a laptop of eBay (same model as my current laptop) all that it needed was a new CD drive... not a tough task now is it... somehow I've managed to destory the laptop tottally  :lol: Have a look for local laptop repair companys (If you live in the UK I know of somewhere that is very good and reliable) I am sure they can service it for you.

Ok as mentioned holding the power button for 5 seconds is basically pulling the plug... not good... help Windows out by letting it shutdown properly.

Have a look at your power options, when you close the lid tell it to shutdown.

I tottally understand about not wanting to rip your laptop apart ;) I bought a laptop of eBay (same model as my current laptop) all that it needed was a new CD drive... not a tough task now is it... somehow I've managed to destory the laptop tottally  :lol: Have a look for local laptop repair companys (If you live in the UK I know of somewhere that is very good and reliable) I am sure they can service it for you.

there isn't an option to shut down when lid is closed; only hibernate and sleep/standby.

now; if i use the power button but don't hold it down (ie just press it and letting go) and windows goes into the shut down steps, is this any better for it? because it's still going through the shutdown procedure but it's forced into it quickly instead of stopping processes, shutting down programs, etc....

I belive - Start :-> Shutdown and Pressing the Power button once are the same thing

I am not on my laptop at the moment but will have a look at my power options (I assume its XP?)

you assume right. like i said before though (or i think i said) i only press and hold the power for 5 seconds when its really hot (like when editing videos, watching videos, editing music, or just taxing the laptop pretty hard) usually i press it for a second or 2 and let it go, because it's always shut down when i use the button but sometimes it screws up when i do start>shutdown