I need software to play DVD's?

grs

I have Gom player but it can't handle DVD's I also have VLC but there seems to be a problem with it, if images are moving fast very small horizontal lines appear around the moving part of the image, any idea why this happens?

What other programs are there that can run most file types?

grs

I'll be shot for suggesting it but if you're on Windows then Windows Media Player will happily play DVDs (with suitable codecs, see KLite Codec Pack or as Deveant suggested, CCCP). VLC works fine for me though. I personally tend to avoid commercial solutions like PowerDVD because they're heavy, bloated and altogether redundant.

Power DVD came with my Laptop, I didn't like it. Windows Media Player won't run DVD's since I took Power DVD off, where would I get the codec to run DVD's in WMP?

Install a codec pack like KLite or CCCP as we've said, those have MPEG2 (DVD) codecs alongside just about every other codec you could ever need.

The lines your getting are because it is interlaced video and you need to have it remove the interlace during playback. I dont use vlc, so I am not sure if there is an option for this, but PowerDVD has the option to play back smoothly and handle the interlacing(which liiks like horizontal scan lines tearing the images at the edges of objects during fast scenes).

Power DVD 5 and 6 were the best in my opinion. 5 was light on resources and didnt have a lot of bloat and other settings to worry about. It got the job done and allow syou to play dvds in many other players since it installs the fiels needed for Mpeg-2 decoding. Alternatively, you can llok for MPEG-2 decoders or active-x versions of the mpeg-2 decoders that also make it so you can edit mpeg-2 video in things like Virtual Dub, etc.

Go and download Analog.5 Issue # 02. I did an article on copying dvds using Virtual Dub(if your interested in that sort of thing). In there, there are links to mpeg2 video and audio filters for windows xp. The only ones in the pack you will need for decoding are: Multiple_MPEG2_Source.ax, Mpeg2Parser.ax and Mpeg2Decoder.ax

http://faminet.uni.cc/Analog5/Analog5_Issue002.txt

http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Analog5

At the moment in Gom Player, there is a Deinterlacing heading under Video with the following headings:-

Disable

Blend

Bob

Discard

Linear

Mean

X

at the moment its set to Disable, I'll try the othere to see what results I get.

I've just run through them and I'm sure what the difference is between them! but I've set it to Blend and it seems better. There is still something happening but its hard to see.

What do you guys use for 1080p video.

I have a

AMD X2 4200+.

2.25gb's of ram.

7600GT with aftermarket zalman and super cyclone blower.

But it still lags on real 1080p, 720p is played perfectly.

I have tried VLC and WMP and many others, I have tweaked settings etc.. but I guess my PC can just not handle pure 1080p.

My Current specs:

ATI Raedon HD 2400 XT 512 Meg

19inch HPw1907 LCD

AMD Phenom 2.2ghz (Quad Core)

3gig ram

Windows XP MCE2005 32-bit

(XP Pro 64-bit will be here in a few days, plus more ram :))

No lag on my part so far. Only time things seem to get slow is when I record full screen video at 1920x1088 pixels from my Pinnacle HDTV USB Stick in Default format. If I use 720x480 DVD format, it comes out clear and no problems at all recording.

All playback has been smooth at any size. :)

My Current specs:

ATI Raedon HD 2400 XT 512 Meg

19inch HPw1907 LCD

AMD Phenom 2.2ghz (Quad Core)

3gig ram

Windows XP MCE2005 32-bit

(XP Pro 64-bit will be here in a few days, plus more ram :))

No lag on my part so far. Only time things seem to get slow is when I record full screen video at 1920x1088 pixels from my Pinnacle HDTV USB Stick in Default format. If I use 720x480 DVD format, it comes out clear and no problems at all recording.

All playback has been smooth at any size. :)

Probably because of your gfxcard, that series ATI is known for delivering great HD playback.

What do you guys use for 1080p video.

I have a

AMD X2 4200+.

2.25gb's of ram.

7600GT with aftermarket zalman and super cyclone blower.

But it still lags on real 1080p, 720p is played perfectly.

I have tried VLC and WMP and many others, I have tweaked settings etc.. but I guess my PC can just not handle pure 1080p.

again i suggest CCCP (See my other post for link) the player uses lil to no system res for the actualy player, just for the play, therefore ur running ur system at its highest potential, though a nice GFX card that openly says it supports HD helps.