I think I've burnt out my PSU.

grs

I have an old Fujtsu/Seimens Scenic XL (if that means anything to you!!) which I've beening using as a storage server with FreeNAS and two 500GB HDD and one 10GB HDD for the OS.

I came home this evening I tried to access it with no luck, the yellow pilot LED was on on the front but when I press the power buttom nothing happens.

However, if I unplug the mains and reconnect it then try the power button the PSU fan and power LED flicker to life for a fraction of a second.

I stuck my head around the back and got a faint burning smell, opened it up and neither the mobo or PSU have any obvious sign of damage.

The power connection to the mobo has a standard 20 ATX plug but also a thin, flat 8 pin connector, any idea what this connector is? So long as the HDD haven't been damaged I too bothered, I was going to change the mobo anyway.

grs

Take the PSU out and take its cover off. If it smells in there but no where else in the pc case, then its the psu. Plus, you would be able to see a burned out component or burn mark of some sort. All of mine that went left a nice big black mark insice the PSU on the board where they burned out.

just don't TOUCH ANYTHING in there...also if you don't how to unscrew it properly..I wouldn't reccomend it and just smell by the fan if you smell burnt anything..it's probably fried.

Yeah, I should have warned that, even if unplugged components can still hold a charge large enough to hurt if not kill you. Just a visual inspection would be good though to be sure, as fans can pull in any smell from the pc case or outside the pc. You will be able to tell pretty much right away though when you remove it.

I've thrown it out. Is there any chance the HDD have been damaged?

I'm going to make up a new NAS system but I want to use the drives from before to get the data off them, is it easy enough to install a drive with data already onto it into FreeNAS?