Some questions about the USB Hacksaw.

grs

In the section about the USB Hacksaw they say you need physical access to the target computer but does the person have to be logged on to the computer to load it?

I'm just wonder, at the school where I work our server is not in the most secure location (staff keep leaving the room unlocked) any pupil could access it.

Can you log onto a Windows Server 2003 machine with a user account or only the admin account, I've never actually tried it!?

Also can it be loaded remotely, if so how and how would I stop or notice this happening?

If your the admin then try logging in as a user as most admins never login as an admin to do simple stuff and login as a simple user this way if anything tries to format a drive you would need admin rights when its not you formating the drive (background task).You can just plugin the USB Hacksaw but with a little program saying "If you can read this then you know your not safe :-P" (but modify the bat file from starting the other programs this way it cant do much harm)

If you had bothered to read me post properly you would know I'm staff not a student.

I'm not the main admin I just help with the computers from time to time, we only have a small setup. Physically it's not the most secure setup but it has all the standard software security.

In the section about the USB Hacksaw they say you need physical access to the target computer but does the person have to be logged on to the computer to load it?

I'm just wonder, at the school where I work our server is not in the most secure location (staff keep leaving the room unlocked) any pupil could access it.

Can you log onto a Windows Server 2003 machine with a user account or only the admin account, I've never actually tried it!?

Also can it be loaded remotely, if so how and how would I stop or notice this happening?

I'd say the best way to test this is to setup a 2k3 install on a spare box and see what happens. You can't actually log onto a DC itself, and I doubt most  of the hacksaw stuff is setup to work on a domain. You could also apply a GPO to the servers which stops the USB slots from working.