basic wifi question

sideboom

I know that wifi has its limits and also know that it hates metal. but i was wonderning how thick the metal can be before there is a problem with connections. also if any one knows if dirt has any affect with the signal..

If any one can help me please post or pm me thanks

Could you drill holes in the metal at strategic locations to allow the wave through?

You would probably have to cut a hole so there is a 'line of no metal' between the wireless devices. You could drill holes of correct size for the 2.4GHz spectrum to pass through but, unless you drill many holes, there would not be enough of the signal left for it to be usable.

You may be SOL.  Are there any options of running cables?  You could install another AP on the other side of the metal?

Can you offer any clarifications of exactly what type of environment you need this in.  I am used to metal covered buildings.  The school I work at  has tons of metal lockers and metal windows which equals shitty wifi coverage.  We have had to install AP's to almost every room that needs coverage (we have a large tablet pc with projector program) which means that we spend a shit load for our limited wifi.  You are lucky to get a few mb connection in a room next to an AP.

If your considering drilling holes to allow wireless, then drilling 1 hole for a wire and sticking another AP on the other side would definitely be a better plan.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just run a wire for an antenna above the dirt. LMR 400 is cheap enough.

If your considering drilling holes to allow wireless, then drilling 1 hole for a wire and sticking another AP on the other side would definitely be a better plan.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just run a wire for an antenna above the dirt. LMR 400 is cheap enough.

Well... yes. lol

Plasterboard wall 3dB

Glass wall with metal frame 6dB

Cinder block wall 4dB

Office window 3dB

Metal door 6dB

Metal door in brick wall 12.4dB

source: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1431101

Soil will have an affect on the signal. It depends on the composition of the soil (trace elements, moisture, etc). Are you using a directional antenna and aiming it at an embankment? Typical wifi's have omnis so the signal is traveling in all diretions.

I wouldn't go drilling holes as you'll weaken the structure, since you probably don't know whether your signal is vertically or horizontally polarized.