WRT54G - Which custom firmware?

buzzinh

I have a WRT54G v2 and am thinking about upgrading to either DD-wrt, open-wrt, or tomato....but i can't decide which one to go for?!

Does anyone have any preferncs / advice on which one has the best features etc.....

I have done a hell of a lot of reading on all different firmwares and need you guys to steer me away from the lesser good ones.

cheers

BuzzinH

Personally Ive used DDWRT on my V2 and cant keep an active connection over wireless for anything. Once I start hitting on it trying to stream here at home it crumbles.

BUT, making use of Tomato its never once dropped. Downside... Tomato doesnt support v6,7 or 8 WRTs and I cant get it to make use of the SDcard mod :-(

I have a WRT54G v2 and am thinking about upgrading to either DD-wrt, open-wrt, or tomato....but i can't decide which one to go for?!

Does anyone have any preferncs / advice on which one has the best features etc.....

I have done a hell of a lot of reading on all different firmwares and need you guys to steer me away from the lesser good ones.

cheers

BuzzinH

your username is buzzinH as in, buzzin hennesey? I was just wondering...

sorry if this is too personal of a question? :?

Personally Ive used DDWRT on my V2 and cant keep an active connection over wireless for anything. Once I start hitting on it trying to stream here at home it crumbles.

BUT, making use of Tomato its never once dropped. Downside... Tomato doesnt support v6,7 or 8 WRTs and I cant get it to make use of the SDcard mod :-(

I've been running dd-wrt on a wrt54g v2 and a wrt54gl for some time now, nearly 3 years in the case of the wrt54g. And i've never seen the wireless problems your speaking of. I've never streamed video out to the net, but I have used vlc to push video around the house with it, and Ive never seen that problem.

Pretty much as soon as a new one came out, I was using the rc and beta builds before v23 but since v23 sp2 I haven't upgraded the firmware on either. Currently the GL is being used as a router and the G is being used as a client bridge for my machines downstairs. But, having said this I'm going to religate the GL to purely function as a wireless AP and switch the routing and firewall over to a box running PFsense. As good as they are, I need a more substantial router at this point, especially when it comes to firewalling. But, the wireless has yet to fail me.

cheers

BuzzinH

Sorry i don't know what that means??? It is derived from BuzzinHornets which was used by Jordan F1 team years back in countries where they could not use tobaco advertising (their sponsor was Benson & Hedges)

cheers

BuzzinH

Sorry i don't know what that means??? It is derived from BuzzinHornets which was used by Jordan F1 team years back in countries where they could not use tobaco advertising (their sponsor was Benson & Hedges)

I seeeee, well I just assumed buzzin hennesey like, you were buzzing > off of hennesey

like the liquor but w/e thank you for showing how wrong I was? not that this even matters lol