net work oh so sluggish

shadow1100mfp

i've got a wireless home network, with (i think anyway) 6 computers connected to it.

my problem is that whenever i do any downloading (bit torrent, limewire etc) it slows down the entire network past the point of dial up. i have dsl but using an internet speed tester (i forget the site) it says i get speeds of more than t-1. is this just a typical event with p2p applications? and if so is there away to set up "two" networks from one dsl box, one for p2p (left on almost 24/7) and one for regular internet/games? if anyone helps me with this ill be eternally thankful

You need to A: Set your router to allow a huge amount of connections (4096) with a small timeout period (ie 90-60 seconds), and B: Setup some Quality of Service rules that prioritizes stuff like HTTP over bittorrent traffic. Without this, it will eat your bandwidth and latency thus starving out everything else. If your router doesn't let you do these things, upgrade it.

My AG241 has a sort of strange DoS vulnerability. if you flood it continuously with DNS requests nothing will work. Can't even get to the web interface. Almost like it priorities DNS requests above every thing else. It's not really a major issue though, just some thing note worthy, but it's a easy way for a single computer to take out the Internet if 'it' wanted to.

I only have this problem when bit torrent it unthrolted

go ahead and set you max UPLOAD speed at 75% of what it seems to max out at

To true, a badly configured bit client is like a mini-dos attack all on its own. I personally don't have more than 1 torrent going at once, even if its only doing 1kps down, having 20 of them running at once kills your connection.

I only have this problem when bit torrent it unthrolted

go ahead and set you max UPLOAD speed at 75% of what it seems to max out at

To true, a badly configured bit client is like a mini-dos attack all on its own. I personally don't have more than 1 torrent going at once, even if its only doing 1kps down, having 20 of them running at once kills your connection.

I have 3-4 working (downloading or seeding) at any given time but even with just one it will max the system

some routers suck at handling multiple connections

i had a old dlink di-604 a long time ago and it really sucked with bit torrent

50 connections and nothing moves

even if the downloads  going at 10KB/s

later on, my isp sent me a actiontec dsl modem/router which worked a little better once i replaced the custom firmware the isp used (the one verizon used would crash every hour or 2  with heavy usage and the router would have to be restarted, but with the stock firmware from the actiontec site,  i only have to restart it once or twice a  week)

currently looking for a wrt54g v4  (after v4 their routers  went down hill with  antennas that you cant remove and lots of other  things to cut production cost and not passing those savings onto the customers )

Get a router that allows you to install 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT or openWRT (just less user friendly imo) and use that over whatever crap your ISP ships you or, just use something like PFsense which is far better.

• 2 weeks later...

i've got a linksys (the kind they used  for power over ethernet).  and when i only have one going (if is anywhere from 1 to 100... 100 seems to be the max alloud) it isn't so bad, but usually i set 3-5 going and either go to school, go to the store, work, etc. but alot of the time now im doing work on the computer and i need the internet for that. i already set up bittorrent (its set for 75% max download and 1/3 max upload). sorry for the long delay in response, i was swamped with finals :?.