Hacking Math Class with the Ti-83 PLus

sablefoxx

Let me first say that THIS IS NOT CHEATING my AP physics teacher actually kept some of these to give to future students.  DO NOT use these to solve problems, use them to check your answers!  If its a half-way decent math class you'll get graded on your work not the answer.

Anyway ever have a hard time remember all those pesky equations in math?  Or just don't want to do all the work yourself?  Or just want  to check your answer to make sure its right?  Well the Ti-83 Plus is the greatest thing ever for this, most people think calculator programs are just for fun games, but you can also have it do a lot of the number crunching you don't want to!  PLus its easy to do yourself, if you do have questions about the c0de just post them!  Feel Free to post your own codes too!

Here are some example programs i have made to cut down on busy work, with the added bonus of being able to use these while your taking the test itself!

EQUATION:  x=(-b±?(b^2-4ac))/2a

*UPDATE*  Made it so the program tests the user's input, working on version that can handle i's (not sure if its possible yet)

goto 1
QUAD v1.1
Lbl 1
ClrHome
Disp "     INPUT"
Disp "----------------"
Input "A:",A
Input "B:",B
Input "C:",C
If A = 0
goto 4
(b^2-4AC)->X
If X=<0
goto 3
?(X)->W
-B+W->Y
-B-W->Z
Y/(2A)->G
Z/(2A)->H
goto 2
Lbl 2
ClrHome
Disp " Answers,"
Disp "          +B",G,G>Frac
Disp " Answers,"
Disp "          -B",H,H>Frac
pause
goto 1
Lbl 3
ClrHome
Disp " ERROR! NONREAL"
Disp "    (-B+-4AC)!=",X
pause
goto 1
Lbl 4
ClrHome
Disp "ERROR!   A!=0"
pause
goto 1

NOTE: to get the '->' use the 'STO->' key above 'ON' the '>FRAC' is found pressing [MATH] [1]

and you do not type out commands you must choose them from a menu, most can found in the CATALOG open by pressing [2nd] 0

Slope Finder (Y1-Y2)/(X1-X2):

goto 1
SLOPE FIND v1
Lbl 1
ClrHome
Input "X1:",A
Input "Y1:",B
Input "X2:",C
Input "Y2:",D
(B-D)/(A-C)->E
ClrHome
Disp "Slope=",E
pause
goto 1

I dont know if this counts as a 'fun' game but here is K1u's Guessing game on the Ti-83+

goto 0
GUESS v1
Lbl 0
ClrHome
DelVar X
DelVar Y
randInt(1,100)->X
Disp "I am thinking"
Disp " of a Number"
Disp "Between"
input "1 and 100: ", Y
goto 5
Lbl 5
If Y=X
goto 1
If Y>X 
goto 2
If Y<X
goto 3
Lbl 1
ClrHome
Disp "You Win it Was", X
pause
goto 0
Lbl 2
Clr Home
Disp "You Are Wrong"
Disp "It is Lower then", Y
pause
goto 4
Lbl 3
ClrHome
Disp "Wrong! Guess"
Disp "Higher then", Y
pause
goto 4
Lbl 4
ClrHome
DelVar Y
input "Guess Again: ", Y
goto 5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/ More to Below /

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Your Own Too!  And if you want one made for a certain equation post the equation and i will do my best to help you out!  Be sure to share them with a friend!  Knowledge is Free!

In Scotland (Dont know about anywhere else but it will probably happen) before the Exams, it is Mandatory to Empyt the Calculators memory before entering the Exam Room. Sorry to burst your Bubble Slightly.

Not here, the teach actually said we could use them if we wanted, but if not archive the programs, this will save them even if the memory is wiped, then unarchived them during the test (but i do not encourage cheating)

Alternately install 'Mirage OS' this hides any installed program (in the archive as well so emptying the memory wont erase them) unless you type in a password

@ DarkBlueBox

same here with my old school, do they check your program list or do they only check to see the "cleared" screen.  Because if it is just the screen all you need to do is archive the program and it won't be deleted.  Then Un-archive when you need to use it.  Not that I would ever condone cheating. . . . .

the quadratic solver doesnt work  no matter what problem i enter in it says

ERR:NONREAL ANS

and  if i go to goto

it takes me to the line

?(b^2-4AC)->X

edit never mind, it only seems to do simple ones and not the ones we normally get in class

Yes that is normal it is possible to have non-real number answers with the quadric because you cannot take the sq. root of a negative number.

So its basically the program only works (and the calculator for that matter) if:

?(b^2-4AC)->X

Where b^2-4AC does NOT equal less then 0

New Programs, dont know even if anyone is using these but they're kinda fun to make  :D

Distance Equ

Goto 0
DISTANCE EQU v1
Lbl 0
ClrHome
Disp ""
?((C-A)^2+(D-B)^2)->X
ClrHome
Disp "DISTANCE=",X
pause
goto 0

Mid-Point of a Line

Goto 0
MID PNT v1
Lbl 0
ClrHome
Disp "  MIDPOINT EQU"
Disp ""
(A+C)->E
(B+D)->F
(E/2)->X
(F/2)->Y
ClrHome
Disp "X-PNT:",X
Disp "Y-PNT:",Y
pause
goto 0

B-Find in the equation y=m(x)+b where (y,x) and m are known (those problems where its like "What is the y-intercept of a line with this slope and passes through this point")

goto 0
B-FIND v1
Lbl 0
ClrHome
Input "X:",X
Input "Y:",Y
Input "M:",M
Y-(M*X)-B
ClrHome
Disp ""
Disp "B=",B
Disp "      or ",Ans>Frac
pause
goto o

root -1 = i :P

Working on one that can handle i's, but for the time being it cant

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I remember righting stuff like this. 

For those of you who have your calculators wiped. . .  Some place there is a program that works kind of like virtual PC/VMware for the calculator, so that it only formats a portion of it.  Don't remember where to find it, but if you really wanted that little bit of advantage (as opposed to, you know, going out and studying instead of spending the time writing this stuff/finding it online). . .

• 1 month later...

You know, its much easier than that.

I wrote one just recently for the quadratic equation that was simply:

PROMPT A
PROMPT B
PROMPT C
DISP (-B+?(B^2-4AC))/(2A)
DISP (-B-?(B^2-4AC))/(2A)

If A=0, then you get a divide by zero error.  If the answer is imaginary, it will display if your calculator is set to display imaginary numbers (Go to MODE to set those settings). 

You know, its much easier than that.

I wrote one just recently for the quadratic equation that was simply:

PROMPT A
PROMPT B
PROMPT C
DISP (-B+?(B^2-4AC))/(2A)
DISP (-B-?(B^2-4AC))/(2A)

If A=0, then you get a divide by zero error.  If the answer is imaginary, it will display if your calculator is set to display imaginary numbers (Go to MODE to set those settings). 

This only works on newer TI-83s, older ones you need to do it step by step

• 1 month later...
Hello i saw your thread on programs for Calculators.

I need the following:

A program that gives me (DX+E)(FX+G) when you enter the numbers for variables A,B, and C into the equation AX^2+BX+C if D x F= A and E x G= C and E+G=B.

Pretty much, in my 10th grade math class, we are simplifying trinomials. I failed our last math quiz and would like to bring my grade back up on Wednesday when we have a test. I have a TI-83 Plus.

The best thing you can do is study for the next test a program is only helpful for checking your answers to keep that in mind. Also, you won't learn anything if i give you the program straight up, so here is some sudo code, try to work through it and look at the other examples for help. If you get stuck post the code and we will try to help you out.

Anyway from your description you'll need to do something like this:

ClrHome
Input "A:",A
Input "B:",B
Input "C:",C
AX^2+BX+C
if D x F= A
goto
if E x G= C and E+G=B
goto
disp (DX+E)(FX+G)

I have to say I passed math class only because of these programs. they saved my life. Also my friend and I had program offs to see who could make the best program to do certain problems. I got really good at it I even made a few simple games.