[MERGED] Website blocker through hosts file

sc0rpi0

Yeah, noticed that this morning, he double posted it. Aside form the point that a "HOSTS" file in windows has been around since the OS came with it....  :wink:

Topics merged. Please do not double post again.

Please accept my sincere apologies. I generally post all my stuff in the usb hacks forum.

After posting, I noticed that this doesn't really go under the category of usb drive hacks,

so I posted it in "Hacks and Mods" which I thought was a better place to put it.

Sorry again if this caused any inconvenience.

having some trouble with the unblocking part though lol, oops?

I guess my little sisters sure is gonna be mad at me for blocking barbiegirl.com

I am working on a better unblocking part of the program. For the moment, I just have the HOSTS file you need to edit pop up.

As stated by another member of this forum, when the file pops up, just delete the bottom line and save the file.

Please mention any simpler methods of unblocking a site.

Here's an example of how the bottom line might look if you replaced the barbie site with hak5:

74.208.74.96 www.barbiegirls.com

its not that serious... and anyways I have restarted

browser &still nothing, didnt feel like restarting the whole

OS because I had other processes running and flushdns

I didnt even think of that o.O

For some reason, sometimes when I close my browser, it stays open in the processes, making the change not possible. kill ie.exe in taskmanager. If this doesn't work, restart your computer. If neither works, boy, something is downright wrong with your computer.

Make sure that the changes to the hosts file were saved and that an av didn't block you re-editing it.

Sorry if this has caused you any trouble.

its not that serious... and anyways I have restarted

browser &still nothing, didnt feel like restarting the whole

OS because I had other processes running and flushdns

I didnt even think of that o.O

For some reason, sometimes when I close my browser, it stays open in the processes, making the change not possible. kill ie.exe in taskmanager. If this doesn't work, restart your computer. If neither works, boy, something is downright wrong with your computer.

Make sure that the changes to the hosts file were saved and that an av didn't block you re-editing it.

Sorry if this has caused you any trouble.

A. I'm offended that you assumed I was using ie

B. I always kill processes in task manager just because its seems to close things alot more swifter than the "red X" method

C. Any changes that I make to the host file effects all users of the system, correct?

first IE is a perfectly good borwser so get of your high horse

second ever wonder why it takes longer when you use the red x? it's because it allows the program time to clean up and exit nicely ending processes in your way is bad for you the program and can be bad for the computer (but you knew that by the warning that pops up)

and yest host files affects the entire system