IPTV Archive Project

moonlit

The best way to preserve theĀ  IPTV Archive would maybe distributing them as torrents.

Another way if a server with enough bandwidth is avalible would be making a new site, width a web-player, this could still be done with in the divx format with the divx web-player, unless DivX removes their web-player now that Stage6 is dead, but then there are a lot of replacemnets, another player solution would be a flash player, Action Script 3 supports H.264 video playback in a MP4 container, it's way better then .flv and you can go full HD as fare as I know havn't tested it yet.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shinmaryuu, we'll have to see if we can't figure something out. :)

Zalzer - The problem with torrents and material that isn't hugely popular is that they die. People stop seeding eventually, and even if they didn't there'd still be very few people active on the torrents in the first place. If bandwidth wasn't a problem then an FTP server or HTTP downloads/streaming would be idea, that's what made Stage6 perfect (along with the quality, the hosting of the original file, etc).

My idea was a website with tabs for each show and then under each tab would be a flash version/High Quality MP4 Download curtsy of Blip.tv and then slowly (250MB a month) a libsyn mirror plus any other personal mirrors we could acquire. I'd be happy to host/design the site and get a URL to point to it as well as supply the libsyn backup hosting. I can also do the MP4 encoding on my Mac with Visual Hub it's fast and easy and i pretty much have it setup since i been doing the same to all of my media. With the site i could also toss in a RSS feed of all the shows added as well.

So there is my offer :)

Many of these video's are also on the internet archive

http://www.archive.org/index.php

The only problem I have with archive.org is their bandwidth, but other than that, its a good place to find things.

My idea was a website with tabs for each show and then under each tab would be a flash version/High Quality MP4 Download curtsy of Blip.tv and then slowly (250MB a month) a libsyn mirror plus any other personal mirrors we could acquire. I'd be happy to host/design the site and get a URL to point to it as well as supply the libsyn backup hosting. I can also do the MP4 encoding on my Mac with Visual Hub it's fast and easy and i pretty much have it setup since i been doing the same to all of my media. With the site i could also toss in a RSS feed of all the shows added as well.

So there is my offer :)

that sounds interesting. My problem though is that I'm not very good at doing anything that takes a sustained effort, I have an idea and I burn out on it, then end up with another idea (which is especially easy when something out of your control voids the effort you'd put in up to that point)...

I really do want to help share this stuff, it's too cool to lose, but I'll request a bit of a back seat for now... when the infrastructure's in place I'll be more than happy to upload anything though, so I won't be completely useless. :P

Sounds like a business venture would be in order, just for this sort of thing. Open a website dedicated just to archiving and sharing freely available IPTV shows and take on money from investors and advertisers to sustain the site itself. Find a way to make revenue with the site, not off of the videos, but with ads or something, so that it can pay for bandwidth and storage for the footage. Then, get the other shows still on the air involved to advertise for it on their shows and have them help with the cost of storage to archive their current shows as they come out so they have another means to promote their shows in the process, thus giving them a chance to make more money for themselves as well. Give them an incentive to help with the site.

Im not good at coming up with a business model that works all of this into something that can self sustain itself, but it only makes sense to have a site dedicated to just archiving IPTV shows much in the same way you were using Stage6 to do the same thing. It just needs someone who can handle the business side of things so that the site can pay for itself while keeping these shows alive and not trampling on he rights of the people who created the content. Maybe even make it semi subscription based(voluntarily of cousre) and find a way to give some of that revenue to the people who made the shows in the first place. This way, people have a reason to support it and want to take part in it since they can benefit financially for having their content on the site. Still, make it released exclusively under a creative commons license where all the shows can be downloaded and shared as they would normally, but also make it so it can pay for itself and pay the contributors for their shows and any new work they may have to contribute. Hell, it might inspire some of those people to come out of retirement and start filming some new material to contribute.

Like I said, I am not good with the business side of this, but I am sure that there is a way it could work into a self sustainable site with the right people involved. And since its dedicated to just IPTV shows, it fills a niche that things like YouTube dont do. Decicated content that isnt 30second ramblings of incoherent crap. YouTube is good for the short attention spans that kids have today and when they want a quick little video snippet, but there isnt a site dedicated to just regular programming with full shows. There are some of the big TV network and things like Hulu.com and Joost, but these arent dedicated to independent IPTV shows. I think there is a market for just Indie IPTV shows, especially Tech shows. Instead of these people all trying to keep their main sites going, if they combined to form a large network of their own they have a greater chance of reaching a new audience since they have one centrally located site for all of their shows which can work in conjunction with their main sites. Add a forum with sections for each show and you then add that social aspect to the site. Add a flash section for each video download page where users can add comments and you also get direct feedback for each show, sort of like YouTube, but with the option to download the video in High Quality formats as well, such as DiVX, MP4, H.264, etc..

Fair Ratings 4 All is interested in providing an area for past, present, and future iptv shows to be hosted at.Ā  We wont limit the content type nor will we restrict the file sizes of shows.Ā  We will even have it so the shows can be watched right there on the website.Ā  According to the rules I'm not supposed to link so I'm just going to write out that you can visit our site at fr4a. org.Ā  For those who previously mentioned they have files that can be uploaded or anyone who wants to help out in the future please write to us at fr4a@fr4a. org.

• 2 weeks later...
I would quite like to revive this, but am stumped.

Blip TV. Up to 1 gig uploads and can make it so no ads on the videos, plus it will play in flash and whatever you upload it in can be dlownloaded in the format by default as well. Paid accounts can have them make the shows in multiple formats for you, but I just upload them in different formats myself and save the money. So far, their service seems pretty decent but I only started using it for about a month now.

http://blip.tv/

I went with stage6 so I wouldn't have to be bothered by flash.

No, it makes a flash version for you, but gives you the option to download the original file as you uploaded it as well. Any format you upload in, it will create a link to download it in that format, but it also is nice because it will make a flash version to play from their site.

Also, If you upload a .divx file and you have the divx plugin installed, it would play it from their site the same way you would from stage6. Upload a wmv or quicktime, you can play the file with those respective plugins as well right in the browser!! -OR- You can download the shows as the file type you upload it in. Blip gives you more options than you had with Stage6 alone.

If you upload 6 different file types for the same video, they all play from the browser, but they are also all downloadable from the page in those formats. Hope that makes more sense now.

I see, I thought it only lets you download in flash.

After you go to the shows archive page, there is a drop down button to view it in other formats and links to download in other formats depending on what you uploaded it in. :)

• 10 months later...