Automating and Remote Controlling Your Computer

Phylix

I'm fascinated with automating repetitive tasks and using my computer when I'm not in front of it and I was wondering what, if any, computer setups some of you may have to make your life easier so that I may "borrow" your ideas.  I'm thinking of stuff like just a simple remote control for your computer, automatically downloading your favorite podcasts/television shows, using VNC with a domain name, or anything else that just makes life easier for someone with a computer on all day.

Here's what I've done so far, and I'm sure many others have done this too:

-Use Girder to map buttons on a remote to do whatever I want from my bed.

-Use RSS feeds and BitTorrent to download podcasts and television shows

-Set up a domain to point to my dynamic IP address through ZoneEdit and use it for VNC, hosting games, and other stuff.

-Create an alarm that plays music in the morning that slowly increases the volume up to a point so I can wake up more comfortably.

Now that I look at it, it really isn't very impressive...  What I'd like to do is make a phone call to connect to my computer and have it wait for a key combination to run a program or invoke an event for a program like Girder to handle.  And since the phone is already there, allow it to do stuff like schedule calls, text message, and whatever other fun stuff I can't think of right now.

I know this can be done with most phones already, but I'm cheap and don't want to have to pay for a data plan.

Eventually, when I build my own house, I'd like to have one computer in a hidden room to be my home's control center to automate whatever I can, create logs, and control things with voice commands or a small remote.  Yeah...  That little X10 device from season one really got me into this.

So, if any of you would share what you've done or ideas, that'd be great.

• 1 month later...

slacker.com

pandora.com

my fav automated task is the full update of snort script I made

* uses PHP/CURL to download the latest sigs  from snort.org

* adds sigs from www.bleedingthreats.net

* cleans up conf and rule sets

* fixes rule triggers to alert snortsam.net IDP

heres the script ...

http://rmccurdy.com/scripts/snortupdate.sh.txt

http://rmccurdy.com/scripts/snort.php.txt

its a total hack job but it works ..