Fun prank at CES

SmoothCriminal

Hilarious prank Gizmodo did up at CES:  http://gizmodo.com/343348/confessions-the-...modo-did-at-ces

The device they used (TV-B-Gone) also looked like a good way to get your feet wet in soldering like the Herby Mouse.  I am looking forward to going to best buy or fry's and trying out the remote.  I don't really like what they did to the Motorola presenter though, he could get in trouble for that one.

journalists my ass

And the sad thing is they will be invited back next year.

LOL I spoke to soon:  http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9849168-7.html%22

Awesome. Serves 'em right. Granted the 13 year old boy in my finds it hilarious while the hacker in my finds it eye rolling obvious but Seriously that prank makes the rest of us new media types look bad. It's one thing to try this at DEFCON but CES, come on! Especially interrupting motorolla's press event. I really hope nobody got fired over that. Call me a prude, this is just how I feel.

I want to try to make a software version of tv b gone for pocket pc's  (would be really good to have :) )

I don't have a link but I think that already exists. Not sure of compatibility because Pocket PCs are usually IrDA and consumer electronics work on different frequencies but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

I want to try to make a software version of tv b gone for pocket pc's  (would be really good to have :) )

I don't have a link but I think that already exists. Not sure of compatibility because Pocket PCs are usually IrDA and consumer electronics work on different frequencies but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Yeah, it does exist. Not sure about the multi device tv off code thing but at least a basic remote control has been done for pocket pc. I first saw it back in 2002. The problem is that the IR leds in the PPCs arent very powerful. Maybe with a little modding.

the ir in my pocket pc (ipaq rx3115 has a pretty good range but the built in remote software is not the best)  i mainly have my pocket pc remote (nevo) to control the tv, sound system and  dish network dvr.  since it allows you to record commands, i can have it automatically, change all sound settings and volume to the levels that i like them in the morning  and after doing that it will turn everything off.    it also allows  tb b gone type function but it is too slow as it  has a built in delay  and it will take weeks to record a long enough command for it to cycle through all 300 codes  and the l second delay between remote codes also makes it hard (it is like they wanted to make sure people cant use it for this)

the range seems to be around 50 feet  (tested it in an store by turning a tv off and back on ) (the only problem is that since the led is hidden behind the plastic,  it's effects are not as wide )

if i could remove that 1 second delay when cycling through remote codes, i would take the time to  have it cycle through all 300 of them

Totally agree with VaKo.. I hope they will be banned from the event for life..

I wont even call it a prank, when they do it that much.. Damn.. I would more call it vandalism...

A prank is the one clip in which they turned off the TV the guy was playing Guitar Hero on. Do that a couple of times and its a prank. The rest of it was taken too far and now they'll pay the price.

What kid doesn't go crazy with new toys? You have to do it until you get it out of your system.

If they had only showed themselves doing it once, would you still beleive that they only did it once? I think they probably did it more than they showed on the video, which makes it more annoying.

Same goes for people sniffing wifi and bluetooth. Cell phone jammers, etc. You know who you are people....you know who you are....  :pirate:

At a TV store in your local mall maybe, but at a fucking trade show where they gave you a press pass?... Really makes Internet journalists look like a serious bunch of professionals doesn't it...

I am not saying they arent douche bags for over doing it. And like I said, I think there was probably a LOT more of them doing this than what they showed in the video. I just think they are like any little kid with a new toy. And if you read the Gizmodo blog, these are not "professionals" in the sense of conservative journalism, but are "professionals" when it comes to pure adolescent behaviour. Look at some of the images they post for their headlines. They always have some added caption which is usally offensive or NSFW. It's pretty much expected from them.