Pandora Timeshifting App: Main Discussion Thread

irieb

Hey there mrmath,

first of all - thanks for helping us all improve pandora. I too have created a split since I saw no one was really working on keeping stuff up to date on the 7.4.0 branch and no source-repository was available.

second, bugs... adding features is great but what about solving bugs? does your version still have the "&" bug that's in 7.4.0?

now for the rest of the comments...

I think we should work together instead of in parallel, my version is available on sourceforge, you are more than welcome to join the project and contribute. there are even a few open bugs.

here are my comments about your version, this is just my opinion and thoughts - nothing more:

- Changed the save format form Artist-Song.mp3 to Artist - Song.mp3. This is just my personal preference.

My version supports arbitrary file name format with custom string %a/%a-%t and so on, I think that's much better.

- Added pandora.db file.

by preventing files from being re-ripped you indeed avoid ripping files that you have deleted - but what if a file was ripped but under the wrong name? you're stuck with it.

In addition - take a look at my mp3md5 (both local and online modes) feature - this is my way of fixing (though not completely) the wrongfully named tracks problems

I think a good solution would be to fetch all the info needed and combine it into the already saved files. actually there is even an open bug on SF that says we should never overwrite a file with a smaller file if they have the same first few kilobytes (as that would mean it is the same song but it got stuck before it finished downloading), I guess that when fixing that I could apply the solution presented here.

- Added exclude.db file.

great feature.

- Fixed the album art

great!

- Added a preference to save the file in a directory with the artist's name.

- Added a preference to save the file in a directory with the station's name. Won't have any affect if you set it to NOT save it in the artist's name directory.

again, it is much better to enable the user to enter a generic string for the file path.

- Added a preference to use as a default genre.

- Made it use the Pandora Radio station name as the genre. It takes the part of the name before the " Radio" and makes that the genre. If, for example, you had a radio station called "Country Radio", the genre would be "Country". If this doesn't work, or you're listening to the QuickMix station, then it uses the default genre.

the default genre sound nice, though from my experience pandora does not really play a single genre no matter how hard you try to make it stick to one type of music. my solutions was just to enable the user to use the entire station name as the genre, I also offered a "mapping file" to map a station name to a certain genre - but that was unpopular.

- This one won't be popular, I'm sure, but I needed to do it for me. Pandora is supported by ads. The ads pay the royalties. By not showing the ads, ...

I think this will be popular. I really don't mind having a look at the ads, they're quite easy to ignore and the service it totally worth it.

p.s.

If you'd like me to store your version on my server for everyone to download - let me know.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know Pandora's Jar had a SF project. I'll be able to contribute when I have the time (have to settle into my classes first). No homepage yet (or maybe this is for a reason...).

it's not really a 'pandora's-jar' sourceforge project, more like "pandoar's jar CF branch".

www.sourceforge.net/projects/pandoras-jar

I'll upload a homepage when I have time to do so.

second' date=' bugs... adding features is great but what about solving bugs? does your version still have the "&" bug that's in 7.4.0?[/quote']

I knew I forgot to mention something. Yes, I did fix that. Thanks for reminding me.

now for the rest of the comments...

I think we should work together instead of in parallel' date=' my version is available on sourceforge, you are more than welcome to join the project and contribute. there are even a few open bugs[/quote']

That requires an actual commitment, and doing work that's assigned to me, right? I'm just doing things that come to mind, and I got to the point were I felt it was worth sharing... I guess I'm too lazy for a real project such as yours. Who knows. Maybe I'll change my mind.

here are my comments about your version' date=' this is just my opinion and thoughts - nothing more:[/quote']ALWAYS WELCOME! Thanks!

- Changed the save format form Artist-Song.mp3 to Artist - Song.mp3. This is just my personal preference.

My version supports arbitrary file name format with custom string %a/%a-%t and so on' date=' I think that's much better.[/quote']

You're right on that count. Much better plan!

- Added pandora.db file.

by preventing files from being re-ripped you indeed avoid ripping files that you have deleted - but what if a file was ripped but under the wrong name? you're stuck with it.

In addition - take a look at my mp3md5 (both local and online modes) feature - this is my way of fixing (though not completely) the wrongfully named tracks problems

pandora.db is a plain text file. You can remove a song from there and it will re-rip if it comes up again.

- Added exclude.db file.

great feature

- Fixed the album art

great!

Thanks!

- Added a preference to save the file in a directory with the artist's name.

- Added a preference to save the file in a directory with the station's name. Won't have any affect if you set it to NOT save it in the artist's name directory.

again' date=' it is much better to enable the user to enter a generic string for the file path.[/quote']

This does make my prefs kind of useless.

p.s.

If you'd like me to store your version on my server for everyone to download - let me know.

You don't have to, but if you can, that would be great!

I did comment all my code with "Modified by Rick Seiden", so you can feel free to go through the code and pick my code out. Maybe I'll change my mind about joining the CF team. Who knows.

1)

My version supports arbitrary file name format with custom string %a/%a-%t and so on, I think that's much better.

You're right on that count. Much better plan!

I think it was you who suggested that feature in the first place :-P

2)

I can't seem to download the file, I get the following message for a few hours now:

You are currently downloading too many files at once. Multiple simultaneous downloads are only permitted for Premium Members.

I will send you an e-mail, please reply and attach a copy.

3)

I did comment all my code with "Modified by Rick Seiden", so you can feel free to go through the code and pick my code out. Maybe I'll change my mind about joining the CF team. Who knows.

join the team, I promise not to assign anything to you... just being there will help with attracting more developers - and the code you check-in will be tagged properly in CVS (if you'll decide to add a feature or fix a bug). even if you're not going to actively take on bugs or features - at least we will not be creating endless branches, at the end the users must select a single package and there's really no use in having two versions if none of them is perfect.

Cheers,

mrmath, I was able to download your file (finally).

notice that your default.properties file comes with the following line uncommented!

mp3.archive.path=C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/MYDOCU~1/MYMUSI~1/Pandora

I'll fix that and post the file for download on sourceforge, please send me the few lines of description you want to appear next to the link.

cheers,

I had some problems getting it working at all. Turns out having noscript setup to block *.swf files causes pandora jar to fail inexplicably, even after you manually reload the page. The 'cruise' routine hangs and the grabtitle routine reports it can't find the song title or artist name and then the write function complains about trying to write null.

Anyway, I got that sorted, but it seems that albums aren't getting tagged with the id3 data. Is there some setting I need to change?

I'm using your latest release (CF7) with firefox build 2.0.0.1 and flash 8 r34. I used foobar2k to check the metadata, it seems they're only being tagged with artist and track info. Their is nothing wrong with that, I was just under the impression it tags album info as well when available. I was fiddling with the settings last night and i changed the md5 sum setting to online and most stuff has been album tagged sinced then.

album tagging should be fetched from CDDB,

if there's any relation between the album tag working/not-working and the mp3md5 settings - it is a bug.

I'm glad that album info is working for you now.

album-art should be fixed soon and available in CF8, (a week at most).

Cheers,

I noticed that the flash 9 plugin for internet exploder does create temporary files for the .mp3s in the cache and they are stored as strings of 19 characters plus some cache stuff ie does ([1], etc.).

hmm5uh.png

It looks like the routine in utilProcessMp3.java checks to make sure each file is in fact an mp3 before storing it. Calling the File.listDir function on %USERPROFILE%Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5 will give you the cache dirs, the other routines are capable of solving the problem given some relatively minor changes.

By filtering out files with extensions you can easily get a small list from each dir.

I think we should work together instead of in parallel, my version is available on sourceforge, you are more than welcome to join the project and contribute.

I totally agree! I would love to see the different great features joined together into one CF/mrmath-release! :-)

Especially the albumart-function is a feature I miss...

I think having two (or maybe more versions in the future) will be really confusing!

So where can I test it?

And will there be problems with foreign language Windows versions?

Because in %USERPROFILE%Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5

the "Local Settings" is different for other language versions!

edit:

I did some research and there doesn't seem to be a variable like %USERPROFILE% to get to the Temporary Internet Files or at least to "Local Settings" (in the right language)... Maybe you can make an option in the config file to adapt that string!

edit2:

Okay, the following would solve the issue, but I'm not sure if the ..-thing is possible within Java. I hope so!

%TEMP%/../Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5

(some apps need %TMP%, so try out what works better)

I downloaded the mrmath version and it doesn't seem to work. Every time I run the app I get this message: "HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found Date: Mon Jan 22 19:35:41 EST 2007 Content-Type: text/html Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate, max-age=-1 server.Server: Pandora's Jar Connection: close file not found". I know I'm a n00b and don't know shit about computer programming (yet) but I love PJ and now it doesn't work. I tried downloading an older version and it told me that I needed a new version of Flash Player, which doesn't make any sense since I have Flash 9. Someone please help!

Not sure if this affects only me, or everyone - but if there is a special character like a quote in the artist or title name, the CDDB lookup is screwed up and the album name is not detected.

I add the following at CddbLookUp(22):

artist = artist.replaceAll("[^ws]", "");

title = title.replaceAll("[^ws]", "");

and it works for me. Not sure this works in all cases, so i'm not checking this into cvs, just thought i'd throw it out there... :P

I am new to this forum, but I have read through the posts and can't find the answer to this particular issue. I play a song and click 'grab this track' while the song plays it says that it is fetching ID3 info and tagging. When the song is over the message changes back to 'MP3 ripping set to manual...' but I can't find the song anywhere so I don't think it downloaded. Help anyone???

Where can I find mrmath's version of PJ? (That's the latest version right?) The link is expired, and I don't see it on CF's sourceforge page.

To all of you working on improving PJ:

I thank you all wholeheartedly for devoting your time and efforts, but is it possible to start a new sticky post (like the noob post) and devote it solely to updates on new versions and available downloads? As the PJ project expands and new branches are created, it's becoming increasingly difficult to locate the appropriate files.

Can someone at least respond? "Yes, I can show you where to find the files."...."Sorry, we want to help, but we don't know the answer"....."No, we hate you, go away and figure it out yourself".....ANYTHING!

......This is becoming somewhat disheartening.