Pandora Timeshifting App: Main Discussion Thread

irieb

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone that is actually able to use this program and get everything to work like it’s supposed to? If so what did you have to go through to get it to work, and what are you using?

I've read in this thread and used pandora's jar since it exists...

and i thought it was time to register now! ;)

I'm a lucky one, who got PJ running...

But first I must say on my PC (nearly the same system, except WinXP pro instead of home) I couldn't get it running anymore after a quite long time of no problems. I than tried it out on my Medion Notebook and since then it's working perfectly, more or less!

My notebook's system:

Windows XP (Home Edition)

latest Java installed (runtime, not the SDK)

Firefox 1.5.0.6

Flash 8 Plugin (from this thread)

Pandora's Jar (7.3.4) is configured like this:

CDDB lookup - on

last.fm add tracks - off (as it made some trouble since 7.3 or so)

itunes add tracks - off (as i don't use nor have itunes)

lyrics lookup - off (as it didn't work well, needed lots of time to load the lyrics and couldn't load most of them)

email/username for Pandora.com typed in

And it works like a charm (both, manual grab and cruise control) EXCEPT

- it won't capture the first track, as mentioned before in this thread (well i got the feeling that it sometimes will grab it)

- it will get confused with the naming if you

a) add a song or an artist to your station

b) switch between the stations (here as well it seems to work sometimes)

so if you change anything on your stations, IMMEDIATELY reload localhost in firefox!

by the way: I used to run a self-compiled version that would name the files "artist - track name" instead of "artist-trackname" (with spaces before and behind the "-" because I'm used to that) but as my pc is broken and i only have the java runtimes on my laptop, I'm using the pre-compiled at the moment. If you use your self-compiled version and have trouble, try out the pre-compiled one, as the archive might not have the latest source code with it.

edit: oh, as I'm speaking of file-naming... wouldn't it be possible to give the option to adjust the file format? something like %artist - %title - %tracknumber - %whateveryouwant? I can do minor changes like the naming in the source but I'm not a java-adept...

So long, and... whatever ;)

Same a Zoltan

PandoraJar works fine for me.

There have been problems in the past (when Pandora change things there end) but each new version has resolved them

I use the same settings as Zoltan except the last.fm Data setting is enabled for me.

I experience the same issues with tracks not saving correctly when switching stations (and sometimes when skipping tracks) but refreshing the page remedies that.

Guest t3chn0b0y
I experience the same issues with tracks not saving correctly when switching stations (and sometimes when skipping tracks) but refreshing the page remedies that.

Have any of you having this problem tried changing the 30 for

the refresh down at the bottom to a lower number say 10..? Might be

a bit extreme but maybe that would help...

Im really puzzled of why so many people are having these problems,

a problem i havent had in such a long time.. I begin to wonder if any

of the individuals experiencing this issue with the tagging, and naming

have not hacked up their registery, modified the services.. just a thought.

With flash 8 installed an the most recent java updates, whenever i load pandora the player doesnt load, i get plugin missing puzzle piece and am prompted to install flash player 9,.......Im also not able to load the player when i go to pandora.com, anyone else having this problem or know the remedy?

EDIT: Did i mention that im using firefox 1.5.0.6 and that the player loads in IE.

Java version : Runtime enviro 2 build 1.5.0_06-b05

AHHHH! Okay, BIG breakthrough for me.

For those of you who are having problems with Firefox prompting you to install the Flash 9 plugin, first make sure that after downloading the Flash Player 8 archive bundle, you are installing flashplayer8r22/24_win and NOT flashplayer8r22/24_winax. The ax version is for Internet Explorer (ax standing for Active X), while the non-Active X version is meant for Netscape (and subsequently, Firefox). Otherwise, if you installed the ax version, Firefox WILL NOT recognize it.

And if that doesn't shut Firefox up, go into your plugins directory (usually C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxplugins) and delete the file npnul32.dll, otherwise known as the Default Plugin. Doing one or both of the above should force Firefox to accept Flash 8.

That being said, I'm still trying to get mine to work....

Hey guys. Don't mind me, I'm just one of the guys on the show. I'll just pop my head in here real quick and make an offer.

It might be helpful for you guys to maybe have the latest and greatest pandora info on the hak5 wiki.

http://www.hak5.org/wiki/index.php?title=P...amp;action=edit

Just throwing that out there. Hope everything is going well in here. Ok, I'm off to do the show. :)

--Darren

I'm running 7.4, Firefox 1.05.06, latest Java, Flash 8...

When I load localhost in Firefox, all I get is a blank white section where the player should be. It's not the missing puzzle piece, because I have Flash 8 installed successfully. My player looks like this:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7103/untitleduk9.jpg

Please help! I'm trying 7.4 because the only other version I can find is 7.3, and the filenames are always screwed up. Anyone post a link to a working 7.3.1 version? Thanks!

I'm running 7.4, Firefox 1.05.06, latest Java, Flash 8...

When I load localhost in Firefox, all I get is a blank white section where the player should be. It's not the missing puzzle piece, because I have Flash 8 installed successfully. My player looks like this:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7103/untitleduk9.jpg

Please help! I'm trying 7.4 because the only other version I can find is 7.3, and the filenames are always screwed up. Anyone post a link to a working 7.3.1 version? Thanks!

I fixed this problem, sort of. Turns out that the .swf player that was being called from pandoraGrabber.html was being grabbed from www.pandora.com and no longer exists. The current player name is https://www.pandora.com:443/radio/tuner_7_2_0_2_pandora.swf, so I changed the embed tag to that location in my html file and it seems to have worked fine. Huzzah!

(I am still sometimes getting "unable to rip MP3 null" errors, but I'll work on that next.)

Hey guys

So I got this tonight and I've been playing around with it. I've got the 7.3 Beta version and I've been having some problems with it. When I go to a station and play a song, if I try to Grab A Song it says fetching the id3 tags and all but when I look at the CMD panel it keeps giving this error

"INFO [Thread-2] (Mp3Processor.java:39) - access file not found trying again after 1 sec"

I keep getting this, anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what the problem is?

Thanks

I found something kind of interesting.

If any of you were saving Pandora songs pre-P.J., you probably remember how you had to manually go into your TEMP directory and get the "access" files from the "plugtmp" folder. And, well, if you weren't doing that, now you know how we did it old-school. :)

Anyway, I was looking through the Java source code, and true to form, P.J. does basically the same thing...looks for the "access" files for you in the TEMP directory.

So I thought I'd go back and try it old-school style again. I put on Pandora, went into my TEMP folder (Start --> Run --> %TEMP%), and opened up the good ol' "plugtmp" folder.

...And I found absolutely NO "access" files. NOTHING was in there besides the shockwave file tuner_7_2_0_2_pandora.swf, and an unknown file named v7. Beforehand, I would actually stare at my plugtmp folder and watch as "access-1," "access-2," etc. gradually increased in size as it downloaded. This wasn't happening this time, and Pandora was definitely on. Something is terribly amiss.

Pandora isn't saving its files in plugtmp anymore. They might not even be called "access-#" anymore. I did a quick search for any files named "access" in the TEMP directory while Pandora was playing, and found nothing.

Help?!

Guest t3chn0b0y

The mp3's are going in two different folders, and have been for some

time now. some are going in the temp directory as plugtmp-1 etc..

and in the plugtmp folder as 19 digit files.

I have noticed if i change stations constantly back and forth because

of the 5 skips, or trying to get to that special song to complete a set,

:) i know shame on me. after awhile it get's caught in a 40 loop failure,

mp3 can't be found, or the weird firefox must be running. If I load up

and go to that special station i want and let it run all night, usually there

is no problem, unless i have done some jumping around in stations

before i call it a night,and let it run. :shock:

Suggestion: in the code maybe make it so it doesnt show

localhost connected to server so much, and have to identify errors

more... on some of these errors that occur a possibility that it

reloads.. flushing out the old cache.. its seems to me that when

some of these errors occur an mp3 isnt retrieved for the song,

and it grabs the next in line.. tags the old songs information on it

and then moves on to the next song. causing the wrong naming of

mp3.. so having it reload and flushing the cache would help cut

down. just a thought... :?: :idea:

Oh, and welcome Angela.

Damn, I'm out of the loop I guess...had NO idea about the 19-digit files. Thanks Angela and t3chn0b0y, I will look out for those files now. :)

I am still kind of confused though. I stay in one station ALL the time. Anyway, here's what I found in my debug:

INFO Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - handling mp3 request

INFO Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - Finding current mp3

INFO Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - locating mp3

WARN Thread-2 properties.DefaultProperties - Unable to load tmp mp3 retry count property.

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor -

***processing directory: Temp***

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - mp3 found adding currentFile: plugtmp-1

***processing directory: plugtmp***

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v7 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v7 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file tuner_7_2_0_2_pandora.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: tuner_7_2_0_2_pandora.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - no more mp3 found in dir

The debug continues on and on through my entire TEMP directory, and in the end states that it couldn't find anything. Well, if you look at what I bolded, it certainly FOUND my file, but it kept going anyway. I'm going to look through the source code tonight and see if maybe there's a missing if statement that is supposed to stop the search once it finds the file? I'm probably totally off-base here...haven't coded with Java in like 4 months but we'll see. :lol:

INFO Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - handling mp3 request

INFO Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - Finding current mp3

INFO Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - locating mp3

WARN Thread-2 properties.DefaultProperties - Unable to load tmp mp3 retry count property.

***processing directory: Temp***

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - mp3 found adding currentFile: plugtmp-1

***processing directory: plugtmp***

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v7 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v7 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file tuner_7_2_0_2_pandora.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: tuner_7_2_0_2_pandora.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - no more mp3 found in dir

Ok, this specifically has been an issue for myself as well, and I think I can see some sort of trend, Pandora may be trying to break auto-rippers like Pandora's Jar without making it as easy as a change in directories. I've been a big user of PHP and see so many chances to be able to use (and abuse) it's functions and abilities. If somebody could possibly work on Pandora's Jar to get the information we need on the song from Pandora to be handed out someplace else, I could quite easily write a script that is automatically called by the JAR applet with all the input from pandora, and use it to locate the new song, and make a copy of it with proper naming. I would think about just making a version of Pandora's Jar in PHP, (guess it would be called phpPandora then huh?,) but I wouldn't know where to begin to grab the information I would need from. If anyone can point me to the resource locations for the currently playing Artist, Song, and perhaps even station number, I could very easily research all the rest I need. I'm going to be doing packet monitoring looking for anything I can leech out with PHP. Anyone willing to help me in this freakin endeavor?

EDIT: I think I found a way to just piggyback my PHP copier on the existing Pandora's Jar system, since it already grabs the name just fine, and actually sends a call to a javascript, I could add a document location type thing, or add an ajax call to the PHP script to make the rip. AWESOME. I'll get to work on this soon.

So, is PJ working for anyone right now? I'm trying 7.4, and it can't seem to find the mp3s. It keeps saying it will retry in 1s, and fails every time. 7.3 worked last week for me, but always messed up the file names, and repeatedly copied the same song. Does anyone have a copy of 7.3.1 to send me? Is anything working for anyone???

Don't fret so much, i'm going to hack into the pandora's jar later when I get the chance, i'm gonna have to fight to stay up, but i'm going to write up some PHP to help allieviate the capture problem. I'm literally going to steal the grabMP3() function from the applet (since it seems to SUCK ASS at finding mp3s), and just write up my own PHP script to handle all that fun stuff. I'll see if I can manage to integrate the album finding stuff as well over time, so we have proper tagging of stuff, I will not dare tag a track number. (That's just suicide.)

So here's to phpHACK();

So, excuse my noob status, but if all it really takes is copying a file from the temp directory, why don't I just write a script that runs in the background while normal pandora plays? Why do I have to bother with all this Java/localhost/hijacked pandora player stuff? Heck I could use Autohotkey and monitor the directory, grab the song title from the title bar of firefox, and be set. Why make it so complicated? (I don't use last.fm)

Guest t3chn0b0y
Don't fret so much, i'm going to hack into the pandora's jar later when I get the chance, i'm gonna have to fight to stay up, but i'm going to write up some PHP to help allieviate the capture problem.

I would send ya some energy drinks but seeing email hasent got that far yet, will have to put a hold on that idea. php conjures up a few free media center like software packages available for watching movies,ripping,playing mp3 and lisenning to internet radio.. :idea: the thought of incorporating pandora.jar into the living room.. :D

Are we going to have to install php in windows, and which one is prefered?

So, excuse my noob status, but if all it really takes is copying a file from the temp directory, why don't I just write a script that runs in the background while normal pandora plays? Why do I have to bother with all this Java/localhost/hijacked pandora player stuff? Heck I could use Autohotkey and monitor the directory, grab the song title from the title bar of firefox, and be set. Why make it so complicated? (I don't use last.fm)

Nothing's stopping you from doing so. :D By all means, if you can make something simpler than this (which I think needs to be done on some levels) that actually WORKS, you could convert me.

The thing about P.J. is that it does have some nifty features that a simpler program wouldn't have. It has the cruise control function so that you don't have to watch the computer and manually grab a song each time, it does a complete ID3 tagging and also automatically sorts the songs into their own folders based on the artist and album, and it also brings up the cover art, if you're someone who enjoys it.

Another thing is that there are simply no other Pandora music-grabbers out there that I know of (I heard 3tunes is gone?), and unlike yourself, most do not know how to code and/or are too lazy to do anything about it.

Third of all...you know how some people like to pimp their cars...spinner wheels, decals, wings, etc.? It's like that, but geek-style. Call it a cooperative battle to make this program shinier. :)

I'm having the problem where the pandora player shifts up and to the left on the screen. I'm using version 7.3.1, and have the correct flash player installed. From previous posts, it looks like others have had this problem in the past, but I haven't found a solution. Anyone know how to solve this?

Also, after deleting pandora and reinstalling it (thought it might be a problem with old files hanging around), my old settings are still there. Are there any files that get installed outside of the root Pandora dir?