Pandora Timeshifting App: Main Discussion Thread

irieb

OK so I download and ran pandomax.com

First off i want to say that they did some things that I would like to see implimented in pandora such as an installer and a taskbar icon.

Ok those 2 things were basically the only good things about pandomax. It is a complete ripoff of the pandora that was created here. The jar files looks the same and instead of the jar having a blue background it is tan color. They say it has itunes intergration but wait, just like the current release you have to put the jacob file in the system folder; something they don't mention.

Just like t3chn0b0y and shaft711 said they have hak5's skins. aardwolf, if you ever download pandomax look in the skins folder and look in the image folders and you will see hak5's name on the graphics.

Now if that isn't enough proof that this is a ripoff look at the version they claim they are at: 7.3.1. Isn't that the same current stable version pandora is at?!?!

Sorry boys that someone ripped your work off and not giving props were props are due.

Hats off to everyone who has had any hand in the development of this program because it is by far the greater program!

That's my 2 cents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will muting my speakers effect recording of the MP3?

Same question for volume .... will lowering speaker volume (on the speaker not on Pandora) effect the volume of recording.

Thanks

(Hopefully I have finally found the right place for this post)

There's no recording going on.

Pandora places an MP3 music file on your system, and then plays it to you.

Pandora's Jar picks up that stored MP3 file, and copies it to a different location.

Muting doesn't change anything. Hell, you can turn off the speakers altogether and it won't make a lick of difference.

OK so I download and ran pandomax.com

First off i want to say that they did some things that I would like to see implimented in pandora such as an installer and a taskbar icon.

Ok those 2 things were basically the only good things about pandomax. It is a complete ripoff of the pandora that was created here. The jar files looks the same and instead of the jar having a blue background it is tan color. They say it has itunes intergration but wait, just like the current release you have to put the jacob file in the system folder; something they don't mention.

Just like t3chn0b0y and shaft711 said they have hak5's skins. aardwolf, if you ever download pandomax look in the skins folder and look in the image folders and you will see hak5's name on the graphics.

Now if that isn't enough proof that this is a ripoff look at the version they claim they are at: 7.3.1. Isn't that the same current stable version pandora is at?!?!

Sorry boys that someone ripped your work off and not giving props were props are due.

Hats off to everyone who has had any hand in the development of this program because it is by far the greater program!

That's my 2 cents

Hmm... Hak5 wallpapers you say. Damn. Could be considered a trademark violation (not the VaKo kind either). However considering the gray area that this sorta stuff lies in, I doubt its worth pursuing. Looks like he's offering the source code so you could always check and see.

Appreciate the help given on this forum. Here is a fix note in case anyone else ever experiences the 'out of memory...permgen' error with their version of Java. I got it with build 1.5.0_02-b09, but I hear they have fixed this since.

Anyway, the fix was for me to add this to the batch file I have starting the pandora mp3 server:

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Hope this helps someone.

PS. I was using MusicMatch to 'SuperTag' all my MP3's. Now I find that I have a bunch of MP3's that were incorrectly renamed/tagged. Can anyone recommend a good program to scan all my mp3's and correctly name/tag them?

where does the file get placed

Maybe someone else can answer that one? I never ran the program myself.

and can I access it through Visual Basic?

It's just a file on your system someplace. I'm sure VB has a way of dealing with that.

PS. I was using MusicMatch to 'SuperTag' all my MP3's. Now I find that I have a bunch of MP3's that were incorrectly renamed/tagged. Can anyone recommend a good program to scan all my mp3's and correctly name/tag them?

MusicBrainz Tagger. Absolutely free.

P.S. I'm having a problem with the pandora player shifting up and to the left on 7.3.1, any working fix to stop this madness?

Pandora in O'Reilly Digital Media by Brad Fuller 08/17/2006

http://tinyurl.com/oqd4g

Some snippets from the article:

With the exception of the final user interface, which runs in Flash, Pandora is based primarily on open source software. The foundation is the PostgresSQL database running in Debian Linux, with the client tier developed in OpenLaszlo. The server-side infrastructure is mostly Java running in a J2SE servlet container. Database access, the playlist generator, and station and feedback management all live in this Java tier.

Pandora creates playlists with a "matching engine," written in C and Python, for each listener station. This engine builds the low-level linkage to the "source" music (the music that listeners indicate they like) and the music that actually gets played (a mixture of what the listener explicitly indicated, mixed with music that the Pandora service believes listeners will like). The replication system is Slony.

The listener runs the Pandora service in a web browser, seeing a mixture of HTML and Ajax techniques for ad delivery and Flash for music delivery. The player, which Pandora calls the "tuner," runs in Flash; the user interface was written with OpenLaszlo. Because Laszlo has been around for six years, it has a long track record in Internet time--certainly longer than its closest competitor, Adobe Flex.

OpenLaszlo has been open source for about a year, inspiring a vibrant developer community to rise up and extend the platform beyond Flash. This is a very interesting development in comparison to the closed-source universe of Flash. OpenLaszlo allows developers to create in the OpenLaszlo environment and deploy to either the Flash runtime or to DHTML.

Because web browsers don't necessarily provide native mechanisms for playing audio, Pandora required some type of plug-in. Windows Media Player, QuickTime, and Flash were the obvious choices. However, Flash appealed to the developers because it didn't come squarely from the two main camps, Apple and Microsoft. Flash does a nice job of providing audio as well as graphics across the three main platforms--Windows, Macintosh, and Linux.

the sequence from the point when listeners log on to the point when they start hearing a song:

1. The client initializes the web page.

2. The Pandora Tuner (the music player) authenticates with the Playlist Server, passing along listener credentials.

3. The Station List for that particular listener is returned to the Tuner and rendered on the screen by the Tuner.

4. The listener selects a particular station for playback.

5. The Tuner makes a request to the Playlist Server for a sequence of songs to play.

6. The Tuner receives a list of playlist fragment descriptors and begins sending audio requests based on the information received from the Playlist Server.

7. The Tuner stitches those audio resources together into a stream of music.

8. The Tuner plays the first song.

Guest t3chn0b0y

I have no problem running a batch to get pandora.jar up and going

but i compiled the batch into an executable with the .ico image

found in the skins sub directory.. If anyone is interest send me a

message and i will email it too ya. its based on port 8085.. i used

quick batch compiler to make the pandora.bat into pandora.exe, then i used upx.exe to compress it down to 62k... not bad for an .exe..

My intent was to get rid of the pop up commandline..

Guest t3chn0b0y
Will muting my speakers effect recording of the MP3?

Same question for volume .... will lowering speaker volume (on the speaker not on Pandora) effect the volume of recording.

Thanks

(Hopefully I have finally found the right place for this post)

I didn't notice if anyone answered your question here..

No it doesn't effect the recording.. it's not really a recording but a

renaming of files that are downloaded into the cache.. So by turning it

all the way down won't bother it.. In fact I turn it all the way down at

night when im watching a dvd or recording a movie. :lol:

I've noticed that Pandora is saving files in two different locations:

1)C:Temp<mp3file>

2)C:Tempplugtmp-10<mp3file>

It seems totally random which one is used for each mp3. What this means is that pandora ripper is able to handle files that are created in #2. Did anyone else notice it?

Guest t3chn0b0y
I've noticed that Pandora is saving files in two different locations:

1)C:Temp<mp3file>

2)C:Tempplugtmp-10<mp3file>

It seems totally random which one is used for each mp3. What this means is that pandora ripper is able to handle files that are created in #2. Did anyone else notice it?

That's been known for sometime and the problem has been fixed.

I had to stop using Pandora 7.3.1 because the filenames and tags were wrong.

Version 4 beta works correctly, but the interface was much nicer in 7.3.1 :(

Any fixes for that ?

Any one place to get the latest version ?

Thanks

(well, after a few hours I take my words back)

Version 4 fails to rip a lot of files.

When I notice that, I just pause the playing song and manualy search for it.

very frustrating !

I just downloaded and installed the beta 7.3.1.... I didn't delete anything. I am using flash version 8. I have a pandorasJar.log file, it says a whole bunch of stuff like this: DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file ~DF5B6A.tmp is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: ~DF5B6A.tmp - will continue to next file

Does that help you at all? I really don't know what else to say. Thanks

It is naming the song correctly; but when I play it back it is not the correct song.

I asked help for this problem on about page 55, but no one has helped me (except t3chn0b0y tried; thank you!) so I am asking again; what can I do?

I just downloaded and installed the beta 7.3.1.... I didn't delete anything. I am using flash version 8. I have a pandorasJar.log file, it says a whole bunch of stuff like this: DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file ~DF5B6A.tmp is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: ~DF5B6A.tmp - will continue to next file

Does that help you at all? I really don't know what else to say. Thanks

It is naming the song correctly; but when I play it back it is not the correct song.

I asked help for this problem on about page 55, but no one has helped me (except t3chn0b0y tried; thank you!) so I am asking again; what can I do?

I second that. Happens to me too and someone (carmen) poked in the source and found the problem. Can it be fixed please as version 4 fails to rip a lot of files (but when it does succeed, the file is saved correctly with the correct filename and tags)

Hi,

I also stopped recording with 7.3 but I've tested 7.3.1 for wrong file names .. (very intensive ) ....

after installing 7.3.1 the player shows again: 7.3 ???

soooooo I've deleted everything what belongs to Pandoras Jar 7.3....

After installing 7.3.1 really ... NO MORE PROBS with wrong file names. :P

I think "barley" wrote that there was a buggy 7.3 version (with file name probs) and maybe some parts of this version are still activ on your pc ???

Delete old versions .... use 7.3.1 it works....

greetinx

Before I put 7.3.1 on my computer; I had a really old version; not 7.3... so unless it is those old old files that I thought I got rid of, then it isn't that. Actually; I am almost 100% sure that before I put on 7.3.1 I deleted everything from my previous version except my mp3 folder.

In case I didn't, though, how do I know what files are from my old version?

Hi,

I also stopped recording with 7.3 but I've tested 7.3.1 for wrong file names .. (very intensive ) ....

after installing 7.3.1 the player shows again: 7.3 ???

soooooo I've deleted everything what belongs to Pandoras Jar 7.3....

After installing 7.3.1 really ... NO MORE PROBS with wrong file names. :P

I think "barley" wrote that there was a buggy 7.3 version (with file name probs) and maybe some parts of this version are still activ on your pc ???

Delete old versions .... use 7.3.1 it works....

greetinx

Question - Where did you download the correct 7.3.1 from ?

Question 2 - If I install it to a directory of its own, and run it from there, is there anything else I should delete ? Is the flash version a problem ?

Thanks

Hello, I want to share my experience. It's possible to use the Pandora Timeshifting App on a "locked" corporate computer or more generally on a PC that doesn't have or where you can't install Firefox, latest Java and Flash 8. All you need is a usb key with a portable version of Firefox like you can find at http://www.framakey.org (I personnaly use the lite installation pack of the Framakey) or at http://portableapps.com/.

From there, you have to copy on the key the Java folder that you find under the "Program Files" of your home computer and copy the content of the Firefox "plugins" folder from your home computer to the equivalent folder on the key. Then, you just need to copy the Timeshifting App on the key and adapt the bat file to match the location where the javaw.exe is on the key and the same for the folder where the firefox.exe is.

Sheugel

PS: don't forget to enter the proxy settings in the portable Firefox if your company uses a proxy.

hi

have installed the latest panodra jar version

i use a firefox and flash player 8

everything runs fine till the localhost is run

the pandora miniplayer doesnt is not displayed in this page... and hence i cant rip any mp3s... any way to solve this issue??

also is it possible to run pandora jar in windows 2000

the pandora miniplayer doesnt is not displayed in this page... and hence i cant rip any mp3s... any way to solve this issue??

Similar problem popped up for me today. Also, I cannot even launch the 'normal' player via www.pandora.com. Works fine in IE, but not Firefox.