Pandora Timeshifting App: Main Discussion Thread

irieb

I've found a minor bug in beta.7.2.

Maybe no need to be repaired, because it's more a pandora (side-effect) way of work.

- - - - -

So it goes this way:

1) You play/grab pandora as allways working fine.

2) You change the station

3) First track grabbed for new current station has its mp3 naming ok, but the music is from another song.

4) All the new songs for (new) current station are named ok, and music matches to its names.

- - - - -

This is (supose) because PANDORA downloads next song to temp folder before playing it, while we listen current song.

So when we change the current station to another we have 1 more track downloaded, and beta 7.2. thinks is first track of the new station.

So we can...

1) Delete this "wrong named" song

2) Change Station and then close/re-open the app

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) New BETA 7.2 works really good with the mp3 file naming.

Also I cleaned the TEMP of FIREFOX. Maybe it helped :)

Q1: Is any way to clean this options from command line?

So we can write it on the BAT/CMD that runs the grabber and be sure it's always ok.

I wouldn't recommend it. Deleteing files from a batch file can be problematic.

2) The "preferred storage" folder from "default.properties" file in the BETA 7.2 is E:/downloads and maybe need to be changed.

But, if I write "C:mp3filespandora", and I ran the app from "C:pandorabeta.7.2." it stores the music in "C:pandorabeta.7.2.mp3filespandora" (joints the 2 folders).

I supose because the app understands C: as current "C: folder" of the CMD file once it's runned.

Also the end folder will be "mp3em@il from pandora"

It is a 'slash' thing. In the default.properties file you have to use a FORWARD SLASH(/) rather than a BACKSLASH() as a folder seperator. It is a long story as to why but trust me that is the problem.

Q2: Can we change the "em@il from pandora" folder from code?

I am not sure what you mean? I don't get this

Q3: Can we add the "Station Name" Folder?

I am working on it

Q4: Can we change the "artist-name.mp3" naming fot "artist - name.mp3"?

At the moment, no. That is a java thing, I just handle the javascript/flash/css/html stuff

Q5: Where are the itunes/ipod tools?

In settings there is a drop menu to turn on "add to itunes library'

Thanx MrDave,

Q1: Ok, will delete from PROPERTIES on FIREFOX.

Q2, Q5: Was a mistake by me.

I ran v.7.2. but did not deleted TEMP from FIREFOX, so it was running 7.2 with some of 7.1 on cache.

Now I see the "SAVE DIR" label to write destiny folder, and also the iTunes drop menu at SETTINGS

Q3, Q4: Will wait... :)

thanks again dave. i was kinda drunk and got bored of messin with it. hey how bout adding a drop down menu in the settings panel of the grabber page that allows skin selection by choosing a css stylesheet and refreshing the page? i cant script. i just push pixels. this is posted from my phone and i cant line break.

thanks again dave. i was kinda drunk and got bored of messin with it. hey how bout adding a drop down menu in the settings panel of the grabber page that allows skin selection by choosing a css stylesheet and refreshing the page? i cant script. i just push pixels. this is posted from my phone and i cant line break.

Hey you push pixels better 'n me. Your skins look great! Too bad we can't skin pandora itself (although I have an idea about that - i'll let you know how it turns out).

I can do that, it isn't that tough. Changing them isn't that tough. As of 7.2 you can just unzip them into the 'skins' folder with each one to a seperate folder. Then add them as seperate stylesheets.

In Firefox you can use the view->page styles->and choose your style. Unfortunately it makes Pandora refresh when you do that.

If I rig it in JS it'll just change like magic and won't even skip a song beat.

Keep an eye out for that soon (7.3 when it comes out)

I dicovered a problem with the ITunes integration, it appears as in some systems you must have a copy of the jacob.dll in your system32 directory or a java runtime exception is sometimes thrown.

To resolve this problem:

1) copy the jacob.dll file from the ../pandora/install/bin/ directory

2) paste the file into your systems C:WINDOWSsystem32 directory.

3) restart pandoras jar

4) the ITunes option should work now :D

Wheatstraw.. Thanks for the input. The oascript works fine. For some reason though I cannot get the first part of the script to work. When I run the script I get this.

if: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Could you make sure you pandora.sh script has EXACTLY the following? I've tested this script on both 10.3 and 10.4 and it works.

pandora.sh

#!/bin/bash

port=$1

if [ ! $port ]; then

port=8085

fi

export TEMP=`echo ~`/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems

java -jar pandora.jar $port&

# make sure java has enough time to launch

sleep 5

osascript -e "tell application "Firefox"" -e "Get URL "http://localhost:$port"" -e "end tell"

Ahh. So if I have

#!/bin/bash

It gives that error. If I do

#!/bin/bash

I do not get the error. Only Difference is the space before #. But it still doesnt work. Just does nothing. I get no error, but it just sits there. I am using OS X 10.4.6 on a Macbook.

Check you line endings - Make sure you are using LF (unix) and not CRLF (windows)

Ahh. So if I have

#!/bin/bash

It gives that error. If I do

{space}#!/bin/bash

I do not get the error. Only Difference is the space before #. But it still doesnt work. Just does nothing. I get no error, but it just sits there. I am using OS X 10.4.6 on a Macbook.

I ran this on my 10.3 iMac and it runs fine. So I am going to ask you to

1) make sure that the permissions of the shell script are set to allow you to execute it.

2) open your command line and make sure that bash is in /bin/bash and not in /usr/bin/bash or /sbin/bash (if so modify your script)

3) lastly, try executing it by typing 'bash pandora.sh' on the command line and see if that does it. If so it is likely your java location or your firefix location that are at fault.

Could you make sure you pandora.sh script has EXACTLY the following? I've tested this script on both 10.3 and 10.4 and it works.

pandora.sh

#!/bin/bash

port=$1

if [ ! $port ]; then

port=8085

fi

export TEMP=`echo ~`/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems

java -jar pandora.jar $port&

# make sure java has enough time to launch

sleep 5

osascript -e "tell application "Firefox"" -e "Get URL "http://localhost:$port"" -e "end tell"

Weird stuff. I copy and pasted that from this forum into text editor, and it did not work. but creating the file from within vi works fine. Thanks for the help.

1) make sure that the permissions of the shell script are set to allow you to execute it.

2) open your command line and make sure that bash is in /bin/bash and not in /usr/bin/bash or /sbin/bash (if so modify your script)

3) lastly, try executing it by typing 'bash pandora.sh' on the command line and see if that does it. If so it is likely your java location or your firefix location that are at fault.

Ahhh...yes...the problem is that the file included with the 7.2 version is a dos-formatted file. To convert the file to have unix linebreaks do the following:

vi pandora.sh

Once inside vi type the following:

:set fileformatting=unix

-- then hit enter

:wq

-- then hit enter

I didn't realize the script was now being included in pandora.beta.7.2. We need to get that fixed... :)

Ahhh...yes...the problem is that the file included with the 7.2 version is a dos-formatted file. To convert the file to have unix linebreaks do the following:

vi pandora.sh

Once inside vi type the following:

:set fileformatting=unix

-- then hit enter

:wq

-- then hit enter

I didn't realize the script was now being included in pandora.beta.7.2. We need to get that fixed... :)

Of course {smacks forehead} since I didn't have that file on my mac I created a new one. Hence the lack of problem.

Of course {smacks forehead} since I didn't have that file on my mac I created a new one. Hence the lack of problem.

I created the file myself also, but for some reaosn TextEdit in OS X still gave me the problems. Only creating the file from within vi would work for me.

Hey guys im having a problem saving the files, it stays on"Fetching ID3 information and tagging MP3 for artist. (Atmosphere) song (Panic Attack)...." through out the entire song. Never says mp3 saved. Then it goes to the next song. Im on Comcast, anyone know what i should do? thanks in advance.

im running the newest version 7.1

this is what pandora jar is saying

"unable to rip MP3 E:downloadsmp3AtmosphereAtmosphere-Panic Attack.mp3 (The device is not ready)"

Hey guys im having a problem saving the files, it stays on"Fetching ID3 information and tagging MP3 for artist. (Atmosphere) song (Panic Attack)...." through out the entire song. Never says mp3 saved. Then it goes to the next song. Im on Comcast, anyone know what i should do? thanks in advance.

Clear cache, delete temp files, get newest version 7.2

Clear cache, delete temp files, get newest version 7.2

And move the jacob.dll to your system folder

see: http://www.hak5.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=18156#18156

"unable to rip MP3 E:downloadsmp3AtmosphereAtmosphere-Panic Attack.mp3 (The device is not ready)"

The plugtmp folder now has some new file names and album art jpg's. There are some definite change ups from our friends at Pandora.

Newest version is 7.2 (http://wildandbad.com/pandora.beta.7.2.zip)

Also I notice you are trying to save your files to the E: drive. Have you edited your default.properties file to change the save path?

Hey you push pixels better 'n me. Your skins look great! Too bad we can't skin pandora itself (although I have an idea about that - i'll let you know how it turns out).

I can do that, it isn't that tough. Changing them isn't that tough. As of 7.2 you can just unzip them into the 'skins' folder with each one to a seperate folder. Then add them as seperate stylesheets.

In Firefox you can use the view->page styles->and choose your style. Unfortunately it makes Pandora refresh when you do that.

If I rig it in JS it'll just change like magic and won't even skip a song beat.

Keep an eye out for that soon (7.3 when it comes out)

sounds great. i havent been using firefox very long.

you did a great job keeping everything in the right place just using css.

i was thinking of putting some layers around the border of the iframe, but even if it looked right and the buttons were visible, it wouldnt be functional.

Newest version is 7.2 (http://wildandbad.com/pandora.beta.7.2.zip)

Also I notice you are trying to save your files to the E: drive. Have you edited your default.properties file to change the save path?

I'm having the same problem were it is trying to save files to E:downloadsmp3

Nothing I do will let me change it either.

Wheatstraw.. Thanks for the input. The oascript works fine. For some reason though I cannot get the first part of the script to work. When I run the script I get this.

if: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

This means that the program mentioned after "#!" (in that case /bin/bash) doesn't exist. And that doesn't have to be very awkward since /bin/sh is the shell you should be using in your scripts unless you're using actual Bash-isms.

Now, the reason that the script you made using a text editor gave you that error is that your text editor probably formats its text files in a Windows-frendly format. The end-of-a-line character sequence on Windows is CR+LF (ASCII characters 13+10). UNIX only uses LF, Mac only uses CR. It's the reason why using ASCII-mode when transferring files using FTP eats up your binaries: these characters are replaced with your system-local version as the file is being downloaded.

Since these 2 characters are non-printable characters, they're normally not displayed on screen. Vim will detect them and assume you *WANT* to edit a file for the platform that uses that sequence of bytes as an end-of-line and just keep on using it (it does say something like [DOS-mode] at the bottom when configured properly).

The easiest way to actually see the extra characters in Vim is to run Vim in Binary mode: vi -b [file]

It will display any non-printable characters it finds, and will assume you want to use the end-of-line character sequence specific for your local platform. If you edit a Windows text file under Linux this way for instance, you'll see ^M printed at the end of every line.

Can we get a feature with a dropdown list of various genres? This way when not using cruise control and you click "Grab This Track" the user can select a genre they would like to tag the song with.

Makes sense since you're already in manual mode grabbing songs. The song is already tagged with artist and song name. The only other important aspect is the genre. Album title and year are not that important (at least to me).

Also, if someone creates a complete pandora rock station, even with cruise control "on" they may want all songs tagged with "Rock" genre. Of course this is assuming CDDB lookup is off which many times does not find correct data.

Just my thought...

Can we get a feature with a dropdown list of various genres? This way when not using cruise control and you click "Grab This Track" the user can select a genre they would like to tag the song with.

Makes sense since you're already in manual mode grabbing songs. The song is already tagged with artist and song name. The only other important aspect is the genre. Album title and year are not that important (at least to me).

Also, if someone creates a complete pandora rock station, even with cruise control "on" they may want all songs tagged with "Rock" genre. Of course this is assuming CDDB lookup is off which many times does not find correct data.

Just my thought...

That could possibly be added...a genre seems be set as part of the tagging info.