Ubuntu

drmaq

Hi everyone i have a hp pavilion dv6626us and i am trying to boot and install Ubuntu on it but i keep getting i/o errors then I am redirected to busy box I tried a few others like knoppix and dsl and got no problem but Ubuntu and enlightenment as well as anonym. os gave me the same problem and I did try it on other computers and got no problem.  I tried hp customer support but they said they are only train in windows bummer.

helppppp me please !!!!!

Hi everyone i have a hp pavilion dv6626us and i am trying to boot and install Ubuntu on it but i keep getting i/o errors I tried a few others like knoppix and dsl and got no problem but Ubuntu and enlightenment as well as anonym. os gave me the same problem and I did try it on other computers and got no problem.  I tried hp customer support but they said they are only train in windows bummer.

helppppp me please !!!!!

What are the specific errors?

Why should we email you if we are on a forum?

I'd just like to know... why did you try to install knoppix

in the first place? please tell me it was only to 'test' since

you were having problems with ubuntu

There is nothing wrong with installing Knoppix.

There is nothing wrong with me pouring motor oil over my head whilst singing the Lithuanian national anthem backwards either, it would just raise some eyebrows...

I'd just like to know... why did you try to install knoppix

in the first place? please tell me it was only to 'test' since

you were having problems with ubuntu

There is nothing wrong with installing Knoppix.

There is nothing wrong with me pouring motor oil over my head whilst singing the Lithuanian national anthem backwards either, it would just raise some eyebrows...

Explain what is wrong with installing it please.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

lol... eff Fedora, I would rahter use an old redhat distro

anyways, in my own opinion if I had to pick ANY distro to

use as a HD install, well it would depend on what I was

using the pc for first of all, but for basic computing needs

like to replace windows, I would go for ubuntu for any

server type needs definitely go with FreeBSD (which isn't

exactly linux I know, but add an L and eureka!) Lunix!

as for liveCD knoppix is ckool? Backtrack is better and what

ckan knoppix do that backtrack ckant?

as much as I love debian it's not for n00bs

if it doesn't work be prepared to do a lot of digging to get it fixed

I love Debian and yes KDE also. :) the only problem I had with debian on my old lappy is the broadcom wifi card never worked well.

I just backed up my data on my new lappy and used Kubuntu to resize my HD 110 Gig down to 35 and i will ghost it tomorrow and then expand HD back  leaving :) 20 gigs for debian

pss new lappy has an Atheros AR5006EG card and kubuntu found it in a heartbeat :)

you could do a network install from a floppy :P

http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst#verysmall

whats the advantage of that compared to a regular CD/DVD install?

+not everyones bios can support a network boot

A PXE boot is different from a network install disc boot, the PXE boot is, in layman's terms, a boot loader on the bios that looks for a PXE server on the LAN and pulls down everything from that via tftp. A Network install disc is a disc you boot from (like any CD/floppy you boot from) and which contains just the install program and some capacity to download stuff from the Internet. 2 very different things.

The advantage of a network install disc is that you can just download what you need, and not an entire multi-gigabyte ISO to do a minimal install. Just saves bandwidth for you and for the host.

whats the advantage of that compared to a regular CD/DVD install?

+not everyones bios can support a network boot

Advantages over a CD install: All packages and source that gets installed/compiled is as up to date as you can get it, it doesn't require 700MB media, you don't need to download a bunch of crap you don't need...

You don't need network booting, it's a boot floppy, it boots to a tiny kernel with a few drivers to download the OS you're installing.

FreeBSD doesn't give you the latest stuff when you do a network install, what it gives you is the RELEASE version. You then have to rebuild the entire thing to get the latest version of the OS. Which makes a great deal of sense in a production environment. Not sure what its like for other OS's, but I would assume it would be similar.

FreeBSD doesn't give you the latest stuff when you do a network install, what it gives you is the RELEASE version. You then have to rebuild the entire thing to get the latest version of the OS. Which makes a great deal of sense in a production environment. Not sure what its like for other OS's, but I would assume it would be similar.

Makes sense but I suppose it just depends which repositories you pull from. I don't think it'd be so hard to check for the cutting edge but maybe not quite as stable stuff if that's your flavour. Perhaps I could've said it gives you the ability to get the latest stuff... it's still more up to date than that CDR you've have sitting under your desk for the last 12 months. ;)