Transfering from XP to Ubuntu (I Need Driver Help)

clickerman

Well I have just recently decided to scrap Windows and move to Linux, and I'm having a little trouble.  I have installed and updated Ubuntu and have not been able to get any sound off of the on-bard sound card.  The CD that came with my Asus A2M-VM motherboard has Linux drivers on it  I'm just having trouble installing them.  Could someone give me a walk through or something?  Thank you very much.

Well I have just recently decided to scrap Windows and move to Linux, and I'm having a little trouble.  I have installed and updated Ubuntu and have not been able to get any sound off of the on-bard sound card.  The CD that came with my Asus A2M-VM motherboard has Linux drivers on it  I'm just having trouble installing them.  Could someone give me a walk through or something?  Thank you very much.

./configure

make

make install

./configure

make

make install

Do I have to be in the root terminal to do this?

Does the sound mix program not list any sound device? Most sound card outputs will work but input is still a bit iffy.

I did check to see if my sound card was recognised, but sadly it was not...

You would have to upgrade to 6.10 then 7.04 then 7.10. Easier to reinstall

best thing to do is partiton your hard disk 80% to 20% (if it's 80GB or more). Dedicated 80% of the disk to /home and 20% to /. In this way if you need to reinstall you can do it with minimal annoyance (windows can't do this).

./configre
make

no

make install

yes

The other problem is that these are drivers and may need the kernel to be recompiled. That is if indeed the configure and make scripts will do this for you even, indeed, if they exsist. You may be expected to include the sources manually into a kernel compilation.

I thought Linux didn't need you to piss about finding drivers like Windows... Shouldn't it just work? ;-)

When you use the latest version with the latest hardware.

Did he have to find drivers for his network card to work? That one really fucks me off.

The Windows installer will probably tell me "You don't have a hard disk" next time I come to reinstall it when I'm (eventualy) using SATA disks only. That will fuck me off more. To avoid that I'll probably gz image my windows partition, but thats only a work around to the underlying problem.

My version of Windows comes with text mode SATA support and drivers for the chipset and LAN. Installs on anything with pretty much full hardware support (sans the graphics drivers, always get the latest from the vendors site post install) and pre-configured to my tastes. I'm guessing your still using a stock SP2 disk?

OK I tried to use the

./configure

make

make install

But it came to me saying that no devices were detected and wanted to know if I wanted to check for legacy devices (I did do this) yet nothing has happened to improve my situation.  I have decided to just install gutsy as suggested by Sparda, then go from there.  I'll post latter with an update to tell you guys if the problem was corrected.