Flash Videos

Bouzy210

I have a question about getting video from sites. I have Googled this and come up with solutions for sites like youtube or many other things that I need. Generally to get video from a site I use a firefox plug in called Unplug. This works great for most things, but does anyone know of anything else when Unplug doesn't work? I really searched this but each software had their own agenda. I just want a free solution that works.

P.S. One example is on this site, there is a movie trailer that I want to put on my ipod. unplug doesn't work, and I don't know that much about anything so...

One easy tool to find the files is Wireshark. it doesn't do the downloading for you, but it lets you see where the real video file is stored when a flash palyer makes a request for the flv video files. You can then take that info and punch it into your browsers address bar and in most cases it spits the file out to you for downlaod or will display in the browser. To downlaod it just create a small html file with an "a href" to url of the file you want. Then convert it to whatever format you want usign yoru favorite video converter. I often convert Google video and YouTube videos to avi's with ImTOO Avi to Mpeg program. Its not listed but it converts FLV files as well as a few other formats.

Also, not everything is in Flash although it may use a flash front end to serve the videos, so Quicktime or WMV files streaming from rtsp:// or mms:// servers will not be downlaodable directly without a program that captures and reconstructs the streaming packets from the server into a useable file on your end. These are a ltitle harder to downlaod because most of the programs that do this for you ar enot free or contain spyware/adware or some other bundled unwanted crap.

Also, not everything is in Flash although it may use a flash front end to serve the videos, so Quicktime or WMV files streaming from rtsp:// or mms:// servers will not be downlaodable directly without a program that captures and reconstructs the streaming packets from the server into a useable file on your end. These are a ltitle harder to downlaod because most of the programs that do this for you ar enot free or contain spyware/adware or some other bundled unwanted crap.

Though with a little manual configuration VLC will happily save any stream it can play to your HDD.

Though with a little manual configuration VLC will happily save any stream it can play to your HDD.

You know, I have to get VLC one of these days. Everyone seems to swear by it.

I have yet to try it...

for the big well known sites the best & free tool to use to download & convert is vdownloader (its small& portable aswell)

but the best technique to use in general in firefox is in my opinion using tamperdata, here'sa howto vid i did about it for dloading from livevideo.com (there are no tools tht support it yet so i do it this way)

and other strings etc u might search for on otherr sites ...

http://dlss.co.nr/dloadlivevideo.html

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best freeware solutions I've found so far for downloading almost any type of media (audio or video) is Orbit Downloader.  It "sniffs" your browser and watches for all requests for any type of media files (including flash of course), so you can easily download them.  It supports rtsp streams and even supports rtmp streams (whereas VLC doesn't). 

Some sites like imeem. com are using "anti-leech technology" which is just a stupid catch-phrase for a cheezy technique where the link they send you for the media file is a temporary alias to the real file on their servers, which they only allow you to access ONCE.  That means a program like orbit downloader (or any of the other downloaders previously mentioned in this thread) won't be able to download it, because your browser has already started downloading the file, and you can't access the file a second time.

So for those special cases I've found that "Free Music Zilla" works great--it can get around the anti-leech technology by saving the file as your browser downloads it.  And despite its name, you can easily configure it to work with all media files, including flv (flash files).

This is my first post so I can't give the websites, but you can google them and find them.  And of course I'm not affiliated with them, I just think that so far I think they're great to use. 

You know, I have to get VLC one of these days. Everyone seems to swear by it.

I have yet to try it...

Digip, browse over to http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and give VLC a chance. The install is very easy. As Japanese say, "asa meishi mae!" (easy as cake)