Ordered my Eee PC and Looking for Writers

jollyrancher82

I ordered my Eee PC tonight, should arrive in 7-10 days.  Some people know that I run the website http://eeehackers.com, I am currently still looking for more writers for the site so the site becomes more active, and the community grows.  If you're interested please visit the site and apply.

http://www.3dnews.ru/_imgdata/img/2007/09/19/60146.jpg

That is the first time I have seen an EeePC next to a full size laptop and Pda for size comparisons. I knew it was small, but in the Hak5 live video and pics I have seen elsewhere it never gave a really good idea of what it looks like size wise.

There's only one place to order it from at this time, here in The Netherlands, and I've heard negative comments about that place.

I'm at least holding out until there are more reputable shops carrying it. Maybe the price will go down a bit aswell as 350 euro for a toy I might never use seems a bit excessive.

i haven't seen it yet in belgium but as soon as it arrives here i will buy it

does anyone know if you can run backtrack on it , i would like to use the eee pc as a portable hacktop

Yeah Backtrack 3 beta works pretty well on it, I have it running it on now off a 1GB SD card, although hopefully I will eventually just end up stop being lazy and compile my favorite tools onto the main OS installed on the SSD.  If you haven't seen it already the latest episode of Hak5 shows Darren running BackTrack on his eee  http://www.hak5.org/archives/208.

i haven't seen it yet in belgium but as soon as it arrives here i will buy it

does anyone know if you can run backtrack on it , i would like to use the eee pc as a portable hacktop

Yeah Backtrack 3 beta works pretty well on it, I have it running it on now off a 1GB SD card, although hopefully I will eventually just end up stop being lazy and compile my favorite tools onto the main OS installed on the SSD.  If you haven't seen it already the latest episode of Hak5 shows Darren running BackTrack on his eee  http://www.hak5.org/archives/208.

yes i've seen it but i was just wondering if you could run backtrack without problems

thanks for your reply

backtrack runs great on the little eee monster. ive got it running off an 8gb sd card though its only installed in usb mode as i'm using the remaining 7gb of the fat32 disk for windows apps. i'll pick up an additional sdhc card soon and install it properly there.

Has anyone seen or used these: http://www.eye.fi/

Wondered if there was any kind of hack to make it instead of sending info, download info wirelessly. That would make for a neat little toy to add to any device that allows code to run off of the card and act as a wireless card simultaniously.

What do you do when the flash dies?

Wikipedia says 'game over, go buy a new one' for the 2GB and 4GB models but the 8GB one is replaceable. How much are the replacements?

Can imagin running windows on there would drastically reduce the life span of the drive (pagefile writing constantly, yes you can turn it off, but then 512MB RAM isn't really enough). The Linux side has a similar problem (except it writes to swap only when needed, like Vista now does, except this is 'too late' as the eeePC won't run vista to have it usable). Probably best to go for the 2GB of RAM and have no swap at all and hope that you never need more then 2GB of RAM (best not leave firefox open for more then a day ;)).

On the 2GB and 4GB models yes, once the SSD is dead, it's really dead. You can however boot from USB and the SDHC slot and on some (older?) models you can add your own miniPCIe SSD to replace the onboard soldered one. SSDs are the subject of a lot of FUD though, they don't die as quickly as some people are suggesting.

On the 2GB and 4GB models yes, once the SSD is dead, it's really dead. You can however boot from USB and the SDHC slot and on some (older?) models you can add your own miniPCIe SSD to replace the onboard soldered one. SSDs are the subject of a lot of FUD though, they don't die as quickly as some people are suggesting.

I'm basically expecting the 8GB of flash to be about a 1/4 the cost of the thing over all. I suppose the way to make it last as long as possible is use the external 2.5" drive (with the two USBs) when convenient so you don't use the flash drive as much as other wise would. Such an act will take a hit on the battery life of course. Carry such a device around also detracts from the portability, so lots of sticky velcro and on the the back of the monitor it goes.

What do you do when the flash dies?

Wikipedia says 'game over, go buy a new one' for the 2GB and 4GB models but the 8GB one is replaceable. How much are the replacements?

Can imagin running windows on there would drastically reduce the life span of the drive (pagefile writing constantly, yes you can turn it off, but then 512MB RAM isn't really enough). The Linux side has a similar problem (except it writes to swap only when needed, like Vista now does, except this is 'too late' as the eeePC won't run vista to have it usable). Probably best to go for the 2GB of RAM and have no swap at all and hope that you never need more then 2GB of RAM (best not leave firefox open for more then a day ;)).

http://eeehackers.com/2008/01/11/xp-on-the-eee-pc/

People have also run Vista on the Eee PC smoothly.

I'm basically expecting the 8GB of flash to be about a 1/4 the cost of the thing over all. I suppose the way to make it last as long as possible is use the external 2.5" drive (with the two USBs) when convenient so you don't use the flash drive as much as other wise would. Such an act will take a hit on the battery life of course. Carry such a device around also detracts from the portability, so lots of sticky velcro and on the the back of the monitor it goes.

Yeah really the SSD should last longer than the device is useful so you might as well take advantage of the out of box portability. Thats not to say if you're going to run an OS like Windows you shouldn't take a few steps to ensure the least amount of unnecessary write to the SSD as possible. I recently blogged about this on eeehackers. Also moonlit is right, even if the ssd were to die the thing still boots off SD cards. It's even a BIOS option under boot priority. I hadn't thought about it that way but my $30 8gb SDHC card runs backtrack3 great.

how do you know if a SSD is going bad?

with a standard HDD you can sometimes tell it's going to die, Click of death, slow read times.  Are there any clues that a SSD is about to die?

I would imagine missing files, saves fail, corrupted data, crashes often, etc.

All the same problems with normal hard drives, except no noise to indicate there is a physical problem.