What music do you like?

W4RP3D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People really like metal, don't they? Not me. Here's my stuff.

A Ha

Aerosmith

Arcade Fire

Barenaked Ladies

Beatles

Bloc Party

Blue Oyster Cult

Bon Jovi

Flaming Lips

Franz Ferdinand

Genesis

Gorillaz

Oasis

Queen

Red Hot Chili Peppers (my top one)

Rolling Stones

U2

I'm good with most types of music. I stick to rock most of the time, but I can handle a bit of pop and such and such. Some metal never hurt - I like a bit of metallica and rammstein. Country is OK somethimes. 70's disco Earth Wind And Fire style is good too. I don't listen to rap much though.

I never understood people who only listen to one type of music, which seems to be quite prevalent among people who like metal.

For some reason a lot of metalheads like classical music too.

Also note that metal is a very WIDE genre.

Me personally, I've got the Insane Clown Posse in there, which is rap and in fact the only rap I can stomach. Not the "Hey I'm the baddest niggah from the hood with the longest dick, the fattest ride, and crosshair on my ass" or "I'm a whiney white boy who dreams of being black but having Dre's semen up my ass feels black enough" poser stuff.

When it comes to music, I'm looking for 3 things:

- A subject.

Some chick going "Oooh, check it out. I'm TOTALLY hot!" is *NOT* content.

- Clear mastery of their instruments.

If 90% of your music comes out of a computer (*cough*trance*cough*)... Bye bye!

- Conviction.

This is a tough one, but you know it when you hear it. It's pretty much the difference between someone screaming from the heart, and someone reading from a lyrics sheet.

Inccidentally, I've got a curious coworker who's into Top40 music. He was interested in seeing a metal concert, so I'm taking him to see Textures and Gojira in about a week. I've also managed to talk his newfound girlfriend into going. She's totally into R&B. To get her to go, I had to promise to go with her to an R&B Bubbling Party...

I have *NO* idea just what to expect from that, and I'm pretty sure the music will be crap, but I'm true to my word and if anything it's bound to become an interesting experience.

For some reason a lot of metalheads like classical music too.

I think classical music has quite heavily influenced metal which is why it's quite popular.

Also note that metal is a very WIDE genre.

Yep, I'm know it's a wide genre with a lot of sub genres, but sometimes people seem to restrict themselves to ridiculously specific sub genres.

Some chick going "Oooh, check it out. I'm TOTALLY hot!" is *NOT* content.

It is, just not very interesting or original content.

I'm interested in your reasoning behind that. Why is creating music on a computer not an acceptable method?

All modern studios use computers and use software such as Cubase, Sony's Acid, Reason, Sonar, Apple pro logic, Pro Tools and Gigastudio, the fantastic thing about this is that it has dropped the price and the time it takes to produce a song and still keep the quality high and allows the average person to set up there own home studio which could not be done 15 or 20 years ago.

I my self use Cubase and Apple pro logic hooked up to an TASCAM DM3200 Digital Mixer with the Tascam MU1000 24-Channel Meter Bridge and IF-SM/DM expansion card and IF-FW/DM FireWire card so I can hook it to my Mac or PC.

This allows me to record any voice work or if I just want to jam with a few friends, the software and mixer allows me to recorded each instrument as it own channel and then edit and improve the overall sound and mix it down to a CD.

It is debatable if today’s music is better or worse then before the use of computers in music production but all I think the computers have given us beside a lower cost and faster turnaround is the ability to have people that sound like shit live, sound really good on a CD and I don’t think that’s all bad.

If the greatest musicians of all time such as John Lennon and Jimmy Hendricks where still around today they would be using computers and there music would still sound the same.

I'm interested in your reasoning behind that. Why is creating music on a computer not an acceptable method?

Well, let me start out by saying it's not acceptable *TO ME*. To each their own and all.

When I'm watching some band perform and I hear someone playing a piano, I expect to see someone playing an instrument that can produce that sound. There will always be effects of some kind that will come out of the computer, but when that instrument greatly influences a song, I feel cheated. I mean, imagine going to a Guns N Roses concert, and Slash's guitarwork comes out of a computer. That would really suck, now wouldn't it?

Now take Jessica Simpson doing "These boots are made for walking". Aside from the fact that she's too lacking in the talent department to even think up decent songs, WHERE IS THE BAND?? Same with (*bleuugh!!*) The Spice Girls (*GAH* I feel dirty just mentioning them). Where's the band?

I'd just like to stress that there's nothing wrong with covering a cool track. Just make it sound really different from the original. Take Graveworm's cover of REM's Losing My Religion. Pure genius that. Compare that with the RAPE of Nancy Sinatra's Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) by the Audiobullys. Those guys took a mixer and a constant and rather annoying beat and HEY PRESTO! A "new" hit that tears up the charts. It's stuff like that that brings up the bile from the back of my neck (shameless Limp Bizkit rip-off. And yes, LB suck too most of the time).

I would just like to add one more example for the point I'm trying to make.

At the Summer Darkness festival 2004 the band Nemesea was the second-last band to play. This is a very good gothic metal band. Like Within Temptation just with some actual talent. Like most gothic metal bands, they employ a keyboard player. Only problem was that night their keyboard player was on holiday in Peru. So they're playing some slow song dominated by a piano, and we're looking all over the stage, trying to see whoever's responsible for that excellent piano. Nobody!

At the end of the song the singer apologised for this and explained the situation. And rightfully so. At least they were being honest about it.

I remember picking up chocolate starfish back in Russia like 5 years ago. Me and my buddies spent the longest time with a dictionary figuring out what the title means exactly, because after word-by word translation we came to the conclusion that we were doing something wrong. Cool album - trippy name - creepy cover.