Solo aka McKinnon from England

tabath

If anyone is interested on the BBC website there is an interview with him.

After watching it you realise that he is a bit of an idiot (sorry no way else to put it) but you do realise that probably the US has also been as big an idiot with him.

70yrs for using blank XP admin passwords and Remote Desktop? Fuck that. The alien stuff... as much as i belive in aliens, I can't see how that information could be that insercure and still be part of a huge cover-up. If a british stoner script kiddy can see it, then I'm guessing much more important people could.

Maybe he found a downloaded cache of pirated sci-fi?

70 years is the maximum. If he mounts a bit of a defense he should get considerably less. Fact is, he broke the law, and should be punished for it. The only question is to what extent.

Also, they should've fired the admins of the hacked sites. Possibly sued them for criminal negligence.

Well yes, he broke the law, but he didn't really actually do anything evil did he? I mean he didn't cause any damage or anything. I'm sure we all know if he's found guilty in the US he's sure to get a ridiculous punishment. Some people say nonsensical things like "if you can't do the time don't do the crime", but the time has to be proportional to the severity of the crime and it usually isn't in cases like this.

Well yes, he broke the law, but he didn't really actually do anything evil did he? I mean he didn't cause any damage or anything.

When a hacker roots your box, and later says he didn't change anything (which he by the way did. He removed a bunch of files which was what tipped them off in the first place, if I'm to believe Slashdot), would you believe him?

FUCK NO!

You're gonna reïnstall that box from the bottom up. That takes employee time to do, particularly if it's to be done right. That means a machine can't run production which means lost revenue or degradation of service which in face of a Service Level Agreement can equate to big bucks.

A hacked box will cost its owner money to set straight. Of course, the amount of damages typically claimed are pulled straight from some lawyer's ass and not related in any way to real life. But to assume his hacking didn't cause damage is just false.

I'm sure we all know if he's found guilty in the US he's sure to get a ridiculous punishment. Some people say nonsensical things like "if you can't do the time don't do the crime", but the time has to be proportional to the severity of the crime and it usually isn't in cases like this.

Sad but, as far as I can tell, true.

Blair should stop kissin up to Bush and have him tried in the UK. We actually have the legislation so that this can be done. It would also save you guys having to payout for his board and lodgings for 70 years :lol:

I read on slashdot that there's an extradition treaty for UK citizens to be tried in the US for crimes committed there. There should've been a similar treaty that had it the other way around. The UK had swiftly signed the treaty to get the terrorist thing going. The US however felt that the treaty in its current form was insufficiently protective of their citizens.

The treaty in the form that the UK ministers signed basically said (quoting what I remember. It's a +5 Interesting post on Slashdot, with a link to the treaty text) that any citizen in the UK can be held in jail awaiting extradition to the US without there even being a shred of evidence presented to any judge at all.

If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will.

I does scare me and that's another reason this country is crap.

Also when was the last time the UK, or any other country for that matter successfully extradited a US citizen to their country for prosecution?

Well yes, he broke the law, but he didn't really actually do anything evil did he? I mean he didn't cause any damage or anything.

The fact is he broke the law.

If you don't agree with a law you don't get to just choose to ignore it. There is a process of appeals where, once convicted, he can appeal to the US Supreme Court if he wants to and then they'll decide if the law is constitutional. But the fact is that, when he broke into the systems, it was against the law and he should therefore be convicted.

Ben

The fact is he broke the law.

If you don't agree with a law you don't get to just choose to ignore it. There is a process of appeals where, once convicted, he can appeal to the US Supreme Court if he wants to and then they'll decide if the law is constitutional. But the fact is that, when he broke into the systems, it was against the law and he should therefore be convicted.

Ben

Did you read the rest of my post? I never said he shouldn't be convicted, my post was about sentencing for this kind of case often being too severe.

If someone was sentenced to being trampled to death by horses for speeding would you say "The fact is they broke the law"?

Yep, he's going to pay for embaressing the us. militry. Its a shame because his crime was minor. The maximum he should get is a fine or maybe some community service.

Note. if he did this, Imagine what other people have done/ are doing......

blank passwords, no firewalls....jeebus!

In his interview....he did actually find some stuff on uf0's.... it was interesting.

A hacked box will cost its owner money to set straight. Of course, the amount of damages typically claimed are pulled straight from some lawyer's ass and not related in any way to real life. But to assume his hacking didn't cause damage is just false.

I dont know... it seems to me the only damage done was to the U.S militry's ego. Patching the vunrabilities..(ie. switching on a firewall and setting some admin passwords) is 'maintenace' that they should have invested in anyway. The amount of damage these guys are claiming ($70K+) is obviously a full on lie.

I saw his interview on Click and he came across as being a greasy little wanker that knows very little and the things he said are severely questionable as he was talking about getting in and watching a webcam using java to view this “technology†he mentioned and he was disconnected from it when he saw a hand go across the screen and I’m sure that they do not use such a thing they do have security cameras but they are not computer based systems.

It’s not even a big deal that he got in it has never been that hard to do, if you really want to, but the fact that he did and did not have the ability or foresight to clean his tracks makes him one of the thickest bastards I have head of and he knew what he was doing was against the law and the fact that the American government goes over the top when prosecuting computer related crimes.

If you get into the DOD and NASA computer systems I’m sure you will find some cool stuff but he said he as no proof of anything he talked about and I don’t know about you but I would have copies of any interesting documents I found encrypted on my harddrive.

I think we can all take form this that if you do decide to fuck with the DOD make sure you cover up your tracks. In my opinion if you really want to test your skills on government computer systems go after systems in countries that your government are not friendly with such as Iran and North Korea as you can get away with pretty much anything, but if you do piss them of expect some kind of retaliation.