U3 Launchpad Questions

sc0rpi0

Question 1:

I know this may seem like a very stupid question, but what is the U3 launchpad?

Is this all the crappy software, or is it the u3 capability?

In other words: can I uninstall the launchpad and still have the u3 capability to run programs upon insert?

How else would I go about removing the junkware while keeping the u3?

Question 2:

When a u3 drive is inserted, does it install anything on the computer [drivers, or anything else]

If so, is the change noticeable: meaning does anything show up in either the start menu or control panel or anywhere else people usually visit?

Question 3:

I recently misplaced my non-u3 drive.

I am debating whether I should buy a newer u3 drive[sandisk cruzer mini] or another non-u3.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks very much.

In order per question mark:

The u3 launchpad is the software that lets you run programs from the u3 start menu.  Its important to have if you log onto  domain account frequently, sometimes the computer will not create both partitions of the drive and by double clicking the cd shaped U3 launchpad, you can spawn the flash (writable) partition of the drive.

All the crappy software.

No, probably not.  To the best of my knowledge uninstalling launchpad removes the cd partition.

You can't  :P.  And honestly, theres no reason to uninstall it, its only a couple megs out of 2-4 gigs.  You can uninstall all of the programs that come with it (through the launchpad menu) and tell it not to load automatically though.

If you merely insert the drive and have the launchpad off, no, besides the fact that windows configures drivers for every flash drive you ever plug in.

N/A

Sandisks are nice, the 4 gig cruzer mini looks really good right now.  You could if you wanted to, hypothetically speaking of course, install full apps like Photoshop and Office, assuming of course that you own them and the license permits it.  Flash them to the u3 partition and you're all set.

I actually just bought a new 4 gig cruzer mini for that purpose, Office 2007 and Photoshop/dreamweaver  :-P.

In order per question mark:

The u3 launchpad is the software that lets you run programs from the u3 start menu.  Its important to have if you log onto  domain account frequently, sometimes the computer will not create both partitions of the drive and by double clicking the cd shaped U3 launchpad, you can spawn the flash (writable) partition of the drive.

All the crappy software.

No, probably not.  To the best of my knowledge uninstalling launchpad removes the cd partition.

You can't  :P.  And honestly, theres no reason to uninstall it, its only a couple megs out of 2-4 gigs.  You can uninstall all of the programs that come with it (through the launchpad menu) and tell it not to load automatically though.

If you merely insert the drive and have the launchpad off, no, besides the fact that windows configures drivers for every flash drive you ever plug in.

N/A

Sandisks are nice, the 4 gig cruzer mini looks really good right now.  You could if you wanted to, hypothetically speaking of course, install full apps like Photoshop and Office, assuming of course that you own them and the license permits it.  Flash them to the u3 partition and you're all set.

I actually just bought a new 4 gig cruzer mini for that purpose, Office 2007 and Photoshop/dreamweaver  :-P.

Thanks for your last response. It answered a lot of my questions.

The reason why I was wondering about the automatic launching of programs is the switchblade/or hacksaw.

I've always wanted to test out the u3 version but haven't been able to.

Do I need to install a different launchpad for this purpose? Is it possible to get back my old launchpad after testing the switchblade launchpad?

Much appreciated.

Do I need to install a different launchpad for this purpose? Is it possible to get back my old launchpad after testing the switchblade launchpad?

Old Launchpad in terms of what?  Most of the u3 payloads do not modify the launchpad itself, the software is usually left alone, though you may be missing programs.