1TD drive what do you think.

Malachai

Hey all,

I was wondering what do you guys think about this 1 TD drive that costco is selling...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...g=en-US&s=1

I was thinking of buy.... Can't believe they are selling those now... Can you image how many movies, sounds, and other hack stuff I could keepĀ  on there...

It's a device that houses 2 500gig harddisks. If either one of those two develops a problem (and remember that it's WD we're talking about here) you're royally fucked.

You're better off with a device that uses 3 or more disks and employs RAID5 over them.

Be careful of these things. A lot of them have DRM built in. It makes it difficult to get at your files using multiple users. So if you have a store for your mates to use, you may not be able to use the built in software. Easy to get around, but it's the principle of the thing.

I herd that model has some weird DRM that doesn't let you move certain files around. I hear it has to do with the software that western digital packs it with. It also worries me that there are two drives in there. I would rather use a raid set up like cooper mentioned.

Without a network port it doesn't really do much for me. Regardless of whether you buy from Newegg, the reviews and sorting options make this a good place to start:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...ame=NAS-Storage

Oh, and I hear they have good deals on evil servers.. then again I wouldn't trust me data to one of those.