change OS

MeeWee

Thanks for the answers.

I am thinking for a scenario like this:

I have a USB i plug it in my computer that is unable to boot from the usb, i get a message that is asking me if i want to start the OS and if i accept, the base OS is cleared from memory and meantime the new OS loads from the USB into memory.

Is it possible?

Thanks for the answers.

I have a USB i plug it in my computer that is unable to boot from the usb, i get a message that is asking me if i want to start the OS and if i accept, the base OS is cleared from memory and meantime the new OS loads from the USB into memory.

Is it possible?

No, you will still need to reboot because the process of clearing the memory is called a "reboot". Only way you can get close to doing this is with virtulization. You can't have multiple kernels talking to the hardware without a hypervisor.

Hirens just creates a ram disc and loads a tweaked version of windows 98 into that, useful for a recovery tool or similar but of fuck all use for general computing. And you still need an underling OS to setup the RAM disc.

You can't load a new kernel in to an already running CPU (hence why new kernels are the only ever absolute reason to restart a Linux/BSD system).

If you actually managed to replace the memory space (which you couldn't in theory because the current running kernel would be running the code that replaced its self) that contains the current running kernel with the new one. You would then have to figure out how to give the new kernel the old kernels exact running state with out have the state of the machine change in the mean time. This would mean freezing all registers, blocking all interrupts and stopping all IO for the time that state transfer changed (this would actually make debugging such a impractical feature fairly difficult).

Hirens just creates a ram disc and loads a tweaked version of windows 98 into that, useful for a recovery tool or similar but of fuck all use for general computing. And you still need an underling OS to setup the RAM disc.
no i mean will boot from CD and hand off to the usb drive

Thanks for the answers.

Is it possible?

Easly no, Ur unable to boot to the USB from BIOS because there is no generic USB driver on ur chipset. So what ur asking is to load say windows, then to tell it to clear the Mem, and load of the USB, the issue is, the Drivers that ur using to read ur flash drive are apart of what ur trying to clear out of the mem, causing a pardox (my word of the day - Technicaly not used correctly here :P)

Though if u have the issue of not being able to boot from USB, there is a DOS disk that allows u to, ill scratch around for it for u, but simply u put a copy of the DOS driver on the disk and burn it to CD, or Floppy  :? then boot from that media, to boot the USB.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the OS you want to boot up...  I seem to recall old distributions of Slackware Linux coming with a tool that let you 'boot' Linux from a DOS prompt allowing people with Windows 95/98/ME to install Linux without having to configure dual-booting.  It was called... loadlin.  If you can boot off of CD, floppy, or anything else you could boot to a DOS prompt and then load Linux off the USB drive (Kernel would need to be on the CD/floppy/hd/whatever, but it should be possible.)

Hope this helps.