Hacker Challenges, A Hacker Olympics for the Hak.5 Community

sablefoxx

I was recently reading the Autumn issue of 2600 Magazine (still the current issue).  I found a really cool article by a guy named "glutton" the idea behind the article is that you and your friends should set up challenges to see who can get the most points, as long as you share anything you learn with your friends it sounded really fun so i thought I'd post of few of them here for you guys, if you want to read the full article check out the 2007 Autumn Issue of 2600 >>  www.2600.com

*** DO NOT BREAK THE LAW ***

My challange to the Hak.5 Community is to starting Jan. 1st 2008 to Dec 31st 2008, hold a contest to see who can get the most points, if you have done any of this in the past it does not count!

Here are the Rules:

1. Be Safe

2. Spend As Little Money as Possible

3. Don't Cheat

4. Document What You do

5. If you do complete  a challange post how you did it here so others can learn and complete the task as well, we are here to share knowledge and learn from one another, don't forget that!

Point System:

You will earn points for each challenge you complete, and an extra 10 points for each set you complete.  I will try to keep track of your points on a excel chart download it here Score Sheet 1-04-08  (MS.office.2007 format).  Winner may get some sort of prize, i don't know what yet.

-=THE CHALLENGES=-

Each set deals with a different aspect of hackery, they are as follows:

Set #1 ( Electronics):

a) Build a working electronic board from a kit or scimatic - 2 pnt

b) Mod an Game Console (must be a soldered modchip)- 2 pnt

c) Research and build a working beige box - 3 pnt

d) Research and build  a working cell phone jammer - 5 pnt

Set #2 (Radio):

a) Use a radio scanner to listen to freq. in your area - 1 pnt

b) Get your tech's license - 2 pnt

c) Pass the genral exam - 3 pnt

d) Pass the expert exam - 4 pnt

Set #3 (Literature):

a) Download and Read "The Hacker Crackdown" - 1 pnt

b) Read the entire run of "Phrack" - 2 pnt

c) Read Books by Famous Hackers - 1 pnt per book, max of 3

d) Submit a Article to a Hacker Zine - 2 pnt

e) Get the Article Published - 4 pnt

Set #4 (Urban Exploration/Access):

a) Dumpster Dive - 1 pnt

b) Infiltrate a Condemned Building - 2 pnt

c) War Drive - 1 pnt

d) Break WEP / WPA (cant be an AP you control) - 1 pnt for WEP, 4 for WPA

e) Use the USB Switchblade to dump 10 computers of people you do not know - 2 pnt

f) Sit in on a whole CSci Class at a local college which you do not attend - 3 pnt, 4 if you do/submit the homework

Set #5 (Hacker Culture):

a) Wear Hacker T-Shirts in Situations that would raise eyebrows (work, family, bars) - 1 pnt

b) Listen to 5 hacker podcasts (other than Hak.5) - 1 pnt

c) Lecture a civilian on what its is to be a 'Hacker' - 1 pnt

d) Attend a Hacker Gathering (2600 meetings, Defcon, Blackhat) - 3 pnt

Set #6 (Programming):

a) Sign up for a Open Source Project and make at least 3 intelligent posts in the forum - 2 pnt per post, max 3

b) Explore a new Language - 1 pnt

c) Create a Useful Program in any lang - 3 pnt

d) Port a Program to a new lang - 2 pnt

Set #7 (Privacy):

a) Create a Autobiographical website with completely false info - 1 pnt

b) Use a magnetic reader to investigate the cards in your wallet - 3 pnt

c) Remove all entries of yourself from google - 1 pnt

d) Create a Fake State ID - 5 pnt

Set #8 (Movies):

a) Watch Hollywood made hacker movies (Hackers, Wargames, ect) - 1 pnt per movie, max of 2

b) Watch a hacker made movie (Freedom Downtime, ect ) - 2 pnt

c) Publish your own hacker story on the web - 1 pnt

d) Make a Hacker Tutorial Video - 2 pnt

e) Get 150+ Uniq Views of your Tutorial Video - 4 pnt

Set #9 (Hardware/Software):

a) De-Microsoft your computer - 2 pnt

b) Dual boot 2 OS's - 1 pnt

c) Upgrade your Mobo/CPU or overclock your computer by yourself - 1 pnt

d) Completely Disassemble/Reassemble your computer - 3 pnt

e) Use your biege box (from set #1) to listen in on a phone call - 4 pnt

Set #10 (Social Engineering):

a) Get Free Pizza (the broken) - 2 pnt

b) Get Someone You don't know to tell you their Password - 2 pnt per person, max of 3

How to Register:

Anyone can do it, from the great leet hax0rz, to the unknown Skript Kiddie, and yes even teH n00bz! (forgive the leet speek) Simply post a reply saying "I'm In", and i'll add you to the excel document (hopefully this wont get too unmanageable), then in the future as you complete challenges, modify that post!

**Let me know what you think of this idea, and feel free to submit more sets/add to sets if anything comes to mind, and i will add them if they are good! (AiM=sablefoxx121)

I look forward to seeing what you all come up with!

~ALWAYS REMEMBER~

-=FREEDOM OF KNOWLEDGE=-

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool. And might really spark the community.

Maybe add the point system to an Excel or OpenOffice spread sheet for people to download to keep track of their progress.

This defenitly has potential, nice idea.  Make sure there's a point for submitting an article to Analog.5.

d) Submit a Article to a Hacker Zine - 2 pnt, 4 if published

Maybe add the point system to an Excel or OpenOffice spread sheet for people to download to keep track of their progress.

Great Idea!!! I will start one right now!!!

This defenitly has potential, nice idea.  Make sure there's a point for submitting an article to Analog.5.

d) Submit a Article to a Hacker Zine - 2 pnt, 4 if published

I fell through the cracks of the U.S. education system and cant read  :-( ?

US education? you didn't fall through the cracks you just got a B-

Holly shit this is fucking retarded. No wonder I've been getting bored with most of the hacker community, it's full of retards.98% of that  shit does not make you a hacker, some of it just makes you a stupid cunt or a common thieves.   

I have no issues with people breaking the law, which if you do some of things on the list you will be, but if you are going to break the law at least do something cool.

I thought half of that was day to day stuff anyway...

I like the idea of challenges though.

Well i tried to include a variety of skill levels, i to do many of them daily as well, but a lot of people do not.

Holly shit this is fucking retarded. No wonder I've been getting bored with most of the hacker community, it's full of retards.98% of that  shit does not make you a hacker, some of it just makes you a stupid cunt or a common thieves.   

I have no issues with people breaking the law, which if you do some of things on the list you will be, but if you are going to break the law at least do something cool.

Well what would you suggest then?

Holly shit this is fucking retarded. No wonder I've been getting bored with most of the hacker community, it's full of retards.

Well you seem to be the only non-retard here, guess that makes you special

98% of that  shit does not make you a hacker,

Then what does? Since when has then been a concrete definition of what officially makes you a hacker? (and i never did say 'do this and you'll be a hacker')

some of it just makes you a stupid cunt or a common thieves.   

Which one involves stealing for personal gain/turning into a vagina?

I have no issues with people breaking the law,

Neither do I, but  I'd just rather not encourage it.

which if you do some of things on the list you will be,

Duh!

---------------------------------

If you would like to give me some ideas on how to improve the challenges, let me know, just don't say "I hate that, it's a bad idea," why is it a bad idea?  Why are you right and i am wrong?

technicaly a hacker is someone who changes something from its normal function to a different unintended function be it good or bad

A hacker is many things, not limited to changing

something from its normal function to a different unintended function

It entails many traits, good/bad, but in all, the desire to learn and then know how things work is probably the main drving force behind hacking. I couldn't sum it up an any number of words, because it is a lot of different things for different people. But lets not get into a debate over what it means to be a hacker. The common fundamental is that hackers like to learn about all things geek/technical/scientific, etc. They enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together, making things better by modding hardware, or rewriting software. Finding holes in things and learning about how to fix them. Part of these skills include some of the topics above, but a hacker is not defined or confined by these rules.

White, black, or grey hacker, they are all just labels that really do not mean shit to me. It is the individual, what they have learned and how they used it, not what they call themself or what people label them as.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_definition_controversy

@metatron-

As for the challenge, I think there is nothing wrong with a little sport amongst friends, but no one ever said that this was some 1337 hax0r be all end all challeng to become a hacker. It was just posted for fun and something to do. You do no thave to participate, but if you have ideas to add to it or challenges you feel worthy, add something constrcutive/destructive to the list instead of ripping on someone for no apparent reasons other than to hear yourself talk.

I know, you have been on these forums for a long time and all, and you probably know a lot more than most of the people on here(which everyone does, we all have egos it seems) but everyone keeps talking about getting the community involved in something together and I see no one making the effort to come up with ideas. Anyone who does, gets tarballed and flamed to no end. Even if this thread had fell flat on its face, it didn't and the idea got people excited about something for a change.This could be a spark to something greater than the topic suggested. I am not saying people won't disagree with things like this or debate about what the topic means, but for fucks sake, come up with a better idea instead of killing off one that people seem to be interested in.

It would be the case that even the n00biest of n00bs who did go threw the entire list would have to learn a lot, the goal isn't important, the journey is.

I agree.  For the first to get something they should detail how they did it.  It could end up becoming a great learning/gathering of lots of smart people.  Great way for people to learn, even metatron.

This is for funs sake, to have fun dood, chill out, what do you think we are going to do? I understand what you are saying but 98% of people here would not know shit to do if we placed advanced challenges here. Hak5 is not the place for these advanced things as sad as it is to say, if you want the advanced stuff go join 0x000000.com's community or something underground. I really do not mean to offend but its not like we will be discussing Kernel programming with guys who want to know how to "hax0r" there school and own someones box using someone elses "switchblade" or "hacksaw".

This is for funs sake, to have fun dood, chill out, what do you think we are going to do? I understand what you are saying but 98% of people here would not know shit to do if we placed advanced challenges here. Hak5 is not the place for these advanced things as sad as it is to say, if you want the advanced stuff go join 0x000000.org's community or something underground. I really do not mean to offend but its not like we will be discussing Kernel programming with guys who want to know how to "hax0r" there school and own someones box using someone elses "switchblade" or "hacksaw".

Don't you mean http://www.0x000000.com/