Wep or Wpa

peanuttz

ok well what does that mean?

WPA can only use TKIP (says the standard, though some devices will allow AES to be used as well). WPA2 allows the use of both TKIP and AES (says the standard, though some devices will only allow AES with WPA2). Either way, AES is the 'stronger' of the two encryption algorithms and should be used if available.

The only time you can break a WPA key is if its really weak, dont waste you time trying to crack one, and WPA2 is even tougher.  WEP is very weak all the time and can be broken in a matter of mins.

Aside from brute forcing, what methods of cracking WPA are there? My wireless NIC on my laptop won't support WPA2 under XP, (vista does it). I do use a 20 char randomly generated password (was 63 char, but try setting that up on a cell phone). So far, no problems, but it would be interesting to learn where I'm falling down on this one.

Aside from brute forcing, what methods of cracking WPA are there? My wireless NIC on my laptop won't support WPA2 under XP, (vista does it). I do use a 20 char randomly generated password (was 63 char, but try setting that up on a cell phone). So far, no problems, but it would be interesting to learn where I'm falling down on this one.

Wordlists / rainbow tables for common APs (neither is very effective)

if your using WPA, just make sure the password is not a real word.

most people will try to do a dictionary attack if your on WPA, so to be safe, just use either a random password generator such as this one

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm  (a new random password is generated each time you refresh)

or use a word thats not a real word but something that you can remember