PandoraRip - copy, tag, organize, download album art

konfoo

I'm on vista x64, and the sniffer isn't working.  Every few songs or so I miss one.  Too bad it usually misses the song I want.  :D

I checked and the songs aren't already recorded, I'm running flash 8, enabled the sniffer for my nic.  Is it only meant for wireless nics?

Other than the occasional miss, I love it!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very very much.. Just perfect but I have a problem. Sometimes the song stops before finish (and then go to the next song), I think it´s not a problem from pandoraRip but I don´t know why there are a lot of my songs incomplete. It´s a problem from pandora.com? thank you (waiting for the pandorarip update version)

What do you mean by 'stops before finish'? Finishes playing? Downloading?

I'm on vista x64, and the sniffer isn't working.  Every few songs or so I miss one.  Too bad it usually misses the song I want.  :D

I checked and the songs aren't already recorded, I'm running flash 8, enabled the sniffer for my nic.  Is it only meant for wireless nics?

Other than the occasional miss, I love it!

If the sniffer doesn't run, you will miss tracks. It is meant only for wired nics (see previous messages in this thread). There are some wired nics it doesn't work with, and some wireless nics it does work with. They have to be able to enter promiscuous mode. I am not sure about x64 (I am deving on x32) - are you running PandoraRip with full admin privs on Vista?

The two suggestions I would give to improve the program would be:

1.  Remember me checking the accept checkbox for the EULA.  Unless I'm missing something, it's annoying to have to check it every time I start the program.

2.  Option to disable the systray pop-up when a new song is found.

3.  Change the behavior (or at least make it configurable) so that the X in the upper right corner doesn't close the program, rather it minimizes it to the systray.  I don't know how many times I've meant to minimize it but ended up closing it instead.

1 will be added in the next version. 2 and 3 probably as well.

Just wanted to say this is a great program. Love the interface.

The only problem I seem to be having is that it only rips the first song when opening Pandora.com. Sometimes the second song. Then it doesn't seem to rip the next few. So for me to be able to rip more than one song I have the tab set to reload every to mintues to grab the first sometimes second song. Is there a fix for this or have you heard of it? I didn't read it in a previous message.

I'm running:

Firefox 2.0.0.11

NoScript

Adblock Plus

Greasemonkey with the right script

Flashswitcher set on Flash 8.0 r24

Followed the readme file. I thought maybe adblock or no script were causing the problem but I disable it on pandora and the problem still continues.

I just started using this ripper and I must say, well done. =)  One thing, I hate to gripe, but the album art that is loaded onto the mp3 seems to be quite low quality compared to some other programs I have used in the past.  It looks like your covers are consistently 130 x 130.  Might I suggest grabbing them from Amazon.com which all seem to be 240 x 240?  It might not be a big deal for viewing on an Ipod, but when viewing in Winamp, the covers are VERY pixelated and it would just be VERY nice to have a higher quality version of the album cover for viewing on a computer. =)

Just some food for thought. ;)

Thanks!

I agree, this program is awesome, I have not had any problems with this version.  Excellent work on this.  I agree that it would be nice to have better quality album art for when I'm listening with cover-flow on my computer or something.  I have noticed that every once in a while it misses the first track or two that plays but it grabs all the ones after that, so I'm not really worried about it, i just thought you might like to know.  Excellent work my friend, looking forward to the next release. 

Thanks man

I read a post: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php/topic,804...3.html#msg83033 where the poster uses the OWASP WebScarab Project to grab mp3s from Pandora and it seems like it should be independent of the network adapter used.  Another advantage the poster notes is that it would be independent of Firefox & flash versions.  Perhaps something similar to this could help future versions of your program, or a completely new program/frontend based off this framework.

I LOVE IT! I love how it’s not over the top, it runs in the background, and it is reliable! I've been running PandoraRip on my laptop xp and desktop vista x64 systems for a couple months now.  Pandora'sJar has so many bugs and I could never get it to run properly on my x64, so thank you for PandoraRip!!!! Now I’m able to run SyncToy and have my desktop and laptop's music library (Pandora folder) constantly updating one another! All I need now is a program to properly merge and label my torrent music folder with my Pandora music folder.

I can’t wait for the next release! From reading the thread it sounds like it will have everything I desire! By the way keep the artis-title. mp3 option, it comes in handy ;)

ONCE AGAIN! THANK YOU!!!!  :D

Thank you very veyr very much,... Just perfect. I think now Pandora Jar it´s history (I don´t know why people still using it).

BUT there´s one problem and maybe, if you are thinking in make a better pandora rip app, you can fix this problem. The problem is that the classical music have bad files names. The Symphony N5 from beethoven has 4 movements and if you download the 1 movement from Pandora, and then the 2 movement the 1 movement will disappear from your computer because the 1, 2, 3 and 4 movements have the same filename. So you will never get the 5 symphony complete (you will get just one movement).

I think you could make a fix: Pandora rip could put a number (any number) at the end of the filename.

I think you understand what I´m telling to explain. Well I don´t know, you know now the problem so if you can fix it, pandora rip will be perfect.

Thank you very very much

It doesn't appear to function the same with my wireless adapter as it does with my hard wired.  In the interface pull down I see three fields, two blank and one my wireless IP.  When I select it I get an error window (I don't have my wireless so I can't quote it).

The sniffer is unable to work on adapters that cannot be monitored promiscuously. Many wifi adapters fall into this category. Sorry, no way around this.

What is strange about this though is that it still can save songs. Is that because it's lifting them from the cache?

i have noticed that if i leave it running for long periods of time, then the resources of my computer slowly continue to get eaten up, but usually its fire fox thats got all the ram and most of the clock cycles, pandorarip (that i've noticed at least)  only seems to take up clock cycles when its actively getting a song, but when it does it takes a good chunk.  just what i've noticed throughout my use.

-v

i have noticed that if i leave it running for long periods of time, then the resources of my computer slowly continue to get eaten up, but usually its fire fox thats got all the ram and most of the clock cycles, pandorarip (that i've noticed at least)  only seems to take up clock cycles when its actively getting a song, but when it does it takes a good chunk.  just what i've noticed throughout my use.

There is a memory leak I have found but it is gradual. I try to leave it running for at least 1-2 weeks continuously even if the browser is not open. I'm around 37Mb now for RAM usage so there is a leak which I will try plug in the next release. As for clock cycles, what speed is your CPU? The app tries to download any missing tracks as fast as possible. I could probably reduce the load for this and nice it.

I just started using this ripper and I must say, well done. =)  One thing, I hate to gripe, but the album art that is loaded onto the mp3 seems to be quite low quality compared to some other programs I have used in the past.  It looks like your covers are consistently 130 x 130.  Might I suggest grabbing them from Amazon.com which all seem to be 240 x 240?  It might not be a big deal for viewing on an Ipod, but when viewing in Winamp, the covers are VERY pixelated and it would just be VERY nice to have a higher quality version of the album cover for viewing on a computer. =)

The album art is pandora's ;) so blame them. All cover images are 128x128 IIRC. I'll add Yahoo covers to the list of things to implement. It's not guaranteed to return a valid cover though.. their selection is pretty slim for some genres.

I read a post: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php/topic,804...3.html#msg83033 where the poster uses the OWASP WebScarab Project to grab mp3s from Pandora and it seems like it should be independent of the network adapter used.  Another advantage the poster notes is that it would be independent of Firefox & flash versions.  Perhaps something similar to this could help future versions of your program, or a completely new program/frontend based off this framework.

Webscarab is a Java-based intercepting proxy. PandoraRip is coded in Borland Delphi. I use this because I loathe bloatware, the JVM, and all the dependency issues that come with it. Applications should be single EXEs with no user configuration. Not knocking Java or the JVM or anything else -- to each their own -- but this is just the approach I am using for building apps. So the chances of me implementing an interface or wrapper to Webscarab are slim to none. BTW PandoraRip does in fact have a HTTP traffic analyzer. The difference is that is is promiscuous and doesn't require reconfiguration of your browser etc. I can't support every network card known to mankind, so my suggestion for those cards that can't do required promiscuous monitoring (even the cheapie onboard Realtek I have in this PC can) is to just plug a different NIC into your PC and give it a whirl.

The Symphony N5 from beethoven has 4 movements and if you download the 1 movement from Pandora, and then the 2 movement the 1 movement will disappear from your computer because the 1, 2, 3 and 4 movements have the same filename. So you will never get the 5 symphony complete (you will get just one movement).

I think you could make a fix: Pandora rip could put a number (any number) at the end of the filename.

Yes I can add this, and it's really simple as well. Ofcourse only songs identified as movements of one symphony will get numbered. This is why I look for user feedback, because there is no way I can test every permutation or find every feature that may be useful.

PandoraRip is not saving anything for me. I see the log and it appears to be sniffing properly but no files are saved. The EULA box is checked. It created a folder at C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorDesktopPandoraRip. Both IE and Firefox have been tested.

Is there a specific browser or flash version which must be used? What could be the problem?