Need to access school network from MY laptop AT school.

W00tnuggets

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I am NOT trying to get into my school's network to play games or any crap of the sort.  My reasons for needing the school network are much more practical.  What I am trying to get to is 1) My school's homepage, and 2) Blackboard.  The problem I am having is this;  I have the wireless access to the school, but when I open Internet explorer, it says that it cannot display the page.  Might anyone have any advice to solving said problem?  It would be of great help.

Thanks,

W00tnuggets

sure lets help:

First open Internet Explorer on a school PC. Goto Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.

In here there will be Proxy settings, u will need to take note of the Address and Port.

Now open up ur Laptops IE and navigate to the same set of options, and type in the address and Port.

You will now be able to use the schools internet access on ur laptop, though if u also use the internet at home, then ur gonna need to disable proxy settings when ur at home.

Also for Firefox, proxy settings can be found at: Tools > Options > Network > Settings.

Hope this helps.

First of all we need to verify that you are connected:

1: connect to ap

2: start -> run -> cmd

3: ipconfig /flushdns

4: ipconfig /release

5: ipconfig /renew

6: nslookup google.com (tests dns)

7: ping google.com (tests that you can find a site and connect to it)

8: ping 64.233.187.99  (if dns fails, can you still talk to IP's?)

Alternatively, contact your local system administrator.

QFE.

as a sys admin of a school, I'd say this is your best bet to get the help necessary.  It may be possible that you need to get your MAC address registered with their network before you'll actually get an IP address.

Also, if the sys admin is like me, they'll at least verify that virus/malware/isn't infested on the machine, otherwise it won't be allowed regardless of excuse (legit or not).

I've seen schools where the student network is blocked off but for access to a VPN server which students use to access the outside world (keeps the configuration simple while keeping non-students off the network.  Also prevents anyone from seeing what you are doing online.)

As a student in a high school that has a lot of student that hack. i suggest to listen to Deveant and moonlit. It exactly what i had to do at my school after a student hacked the the school board main frame.

Is this a joke?

Nothing like kicking back having a few brewskies and hacking the "school board main frame".

As a student in a high school that has a lot of student that hack. i suggest to listen to Deveant and moonlit. It exactly what i had to do at my school after a student hacked the the school board main frame.

Is this a joke?

Nothing like kicking back having a few brewskies and hacking the "school board main frame".

This is what a "main frame", lol, really is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainframe_computer

Sysadmins are people too!

As a student in a high school that has a lot of student that hack. i suggest to listen to Deveant and moonlit. It exactly what i had to do at my school after a student hacked...

You're going ok here... Sensible comment, logical, useful...

...the school board main frame.

...and now you just fell out of a movie. :/

Oh yeah, and "the" was written twice before "school mainframe", it's like one of those weird grammatical optical illusions. :D

What I'm trying to say though is that we whole-heartedly welcome intelligent techy-minded people who know their stuff and know when/when not to use it but if you don't know what something is, please take the time to look it up. It not only makes you look smarter but it allows you to expand your knowledge too. If, though, your school actually did have a mainframe and was very wealthy during the years when a mainframe was "the thing you wished you had" then I apologise...

That was a bit redundant...

Anyone here work on an s/390, as400 or z-series mainframes?

Generally speaking, most schools are just networked peer to peer windows or may have a centreal linux server to administer their files over the network, but a mainframe, as in, "big iron" would be too expensive for a school district unless they were some special case, where they need such hardware for the school. The only places I can think of that have that kind of money and hardware might be colleges that specialize in research that would require the high end hardware, like MIT, Berkeley or Princeton.

I just happen to work for a place where we work with mainframe computers, and let me tell you, your talking some serious bucks here. Nt somehting a small school would have the money for.

Lol man, watch the IT crowd (original), season 2 and you will get the joke.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

at my school network, yesterday i ran backtrack and used some of its tools to see if any would work, well they did and detected a ton (over 40k) packets. mostly was printers but i also got a cisco router. so i got access to the school network, but it is mainly novell network. I didn't get access to the internet and i know they have a proxy server cause at one time i got access to the internet tools and saw the settings. :( sadly i don't remember it. I have a contract that the teachers have to allow me to use my computer in school. So i don't have to carry books. :D

Lol man, watch the IT crowd (original), season 2 and you will get the joke.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Just finished the episode where her tits where on fire... hahaha!

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for you input and support.  I have spoken with the "Tech Team" at my school and they put me through all the hoops necessary to gain access.  Of course I don't have administrative privilages, but eh, no system is perfect!

Thanks Again!

-w00tnuggets

Ahhh, you took the easy way out, even after they told you how to do it doesnt mean you should its like this,  Why buy something for $5 when you can build it for $20?