Hak5 Community Showcase/Convention/Bar-b-q whatever...

digip

So will you be giving out U3 flash drives? ;)

Most people will be running *NIX and the people that run Windows would have done a clean install and will do another one when they get home. ShmooCon tends to get less complete idiots.

Install? Why waste time, just store an image on a bootable flash drive - fresh install each day you're at a gathering.

Most people will be running *NIX and the people that run Windows would have done a clean install and will do another one when they get home. ShmooCon tends to get less complete idiots.

Install? Why waste time, just store an image on a bootable flash drive - fresh install each day you're at a gathering.

I don't think people are that bothered about every day. You really do want a clean install when you get there, most people will image there drives before the clean install and do a restore when they get home. That goes for both *NIX and Windows, it really is best practice. 

I don't think people are that bothered about every day. You really do want a clean install when you get there, most people will image there drives before the clean install and do a restore when they get home. That goes for both *NIX and Windows, it really is best practice. 

how long does it take to image to a drive over usb?

and what's the best way to image one?

bootable CD dd if of?

edit:fixed question marks

Why are you guy reinstalling windows for shmoocon?

Well from day to day use of a computer your going to have information stored on it you would sooner not have other people see or it may be as simple as your IM client automatically connecting as soon as your laptop connects to the network. There are lot's of reasons a clean install is needed no matter what OS your running, you can never make a computer 100% secure and you can never guarantee you have removed everything, a clean install is the best way.

So it to stop ppl hacking you.

Not so much hacking you as sniffing you for personal information. Personal information is not only useful to the hacker, it is useful to the social engineer. You might think something as simple as your instant messenger name is uninportant knowlege, but at conferences such as these, all the data that is pumped over the conference wire is published to the public. So, after the conference, I could download that data, and target you by filtering through for your messenger name, they can find and possibly decrypt your password.

I can go in to much more detail, but then again, a magician never reveals the whole trick.

man i really need to become a magicians apprentice

If you can't learn it on your own, walk away now and do something else.   

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...