Hak5 Community Showcase/Convention/Bar-b-q whatever...

digip

Just wonderiong, but instead of Smoocon and HOPE conventions, Hak5 and the Hak5 community should organize some sort of convention of our own. I know they had the recent meet and greet in the UK among a few fans but maybe extend that to a Hak5 community based convention, not excluding anyone outside of Hak5, but maybe a way to bring in new people with ideas and projects to showcase.

Everyone seemed to like their coverage of Smoocon and when they do more docmentary type episodes. Why not have one big convention to showcase  the community. Can then make it a yearly thing or whatever and have DVD downloads/torrents for everyone. Invite other IPTV shows/people to the event as well, like the guys from DL.TV,digitalunderground.tv, BSOD.tv, Twit, Systm, etc.

Thats a great idea, but that would be a shit load of work, and need a shit load of money for it.  The planning involved in that is ridiculous, and most of the hak5 cast seems to be busy enough.  It would be nice if the community would organize it, but in reality it is not doable. 

Thats a great idea, but that would be a shit load of work, and need a shit load of money for it.  The planning involved in that is ridiculous, and most of the hak5 cast seems to be busy enough.  It would be nice if the community would organize it, but in reality it is not doable. 

Well, anything that gets the hak5 community involved is a plus to me. Even jsut a giant Beerfest barbq geek out get together but on a larger scale than a normal meet and greet. Like shell out for a floor at a hotel just for hak5 people and make a sort of SpringHak-break out of it.

A big ass BBQ would be cool, but as Vako said geography would be an issue.  It would probably need to be in the northeast maybe Pennsylvania to get the most IPTV guys involved.  I am not sure about the "kiddy fiddle" laws, but that is a good thing to think about.  The problem with America is it is to damn big, and too many people would be unable to attend.  It is a good idea, maybe make it a mult IPTV  project, where we get other communities involved besides just Hak5.  It would probably be best if it happened in summer.

We had the same concerns for the UK minimeet we held earlier this year and all considered I think it could've gone a lot worse. I was the youngest there I believe at 21 so there was no need for concern for minors, worked pretty well I think.

Nice idea though, I'd be interested in more geeky meetups and if we could pull off a huge one it'd be well worth going to. I have to admit though that I share the thoughts that have been expressed so far: geographical nightmares, minors, the bulk of the group being intolerably immature... perhaps I underestimate people but I wouldn't want to go to all the effort just to find out I was right.

Spring and summer being the best time, I'd say if people got involved and find alocation, there is plenty of time to plan a trip. I keep forgetting that a lard part of the viewer base is under age, although that is true, they also know a hell of a lot more about things than myself when it comes to tech, mods and code.

they also know a hell of a lot more about things than myself when it comes to tech, mods and code.

Trouble is though it's not possible to visit any drinking establishment with 20 minors en tow, and even if we didn't end up in a pub we'd still have a crowd of kids we'd be responsible for, regardless of whether booze was involved. This causes all sorts of legal/liability issues as I'm sure you can imagine. The only way to really fix it is if the parents of every minor came too and that'd cramp their style, would probably bring down the event a little and I can't imagine all of them would want to come and others wouldn't be particularly keen on the reason we all met anyway...

Little Johnny's going to meet up with a bunch of international hackers he met in a chatroom who'll be drinking and playing with fire... that wouldn't fill me with confidence as a parent...

http://www.podcastersmeetup.com/

Organized by Mubix, held in Washington DC during Shmoocon Feb. 15-17.

* Hacker Media.org

* Hak.5

* Legion of Ethical Hackers

* PaulDotCom

* Room362

* Secthis

* SploitCast

I'm going to Shmoocon but I think I'd still avoid everyone on that list, I didn't mind PaulDotCom until I heard the  coverage of the ICE Games and some of their talks and from then on I lost any interest in what they had to say. The hacker media guys and Cybereagle are good for a laugh but it depend who from hacker media is going. 

* Hacker Media.org

* Hak.5

* PaulDotCom

* Room362

* Secthis

* SploitCast

Will you be filming it this year?

* Hacker Media.org

* Hak.5

* PaulDotCom

* Room362

* Secthis

* SploitCast

I'm going to Shmoocon but I think I'd still avoid everyone on that list, I didn't mind PaulDotCom until I heard the  coverage of the ICE Games and some of their talks and from then on I lost any interest in what they had to say. The hacker media guys and Cybereagle are good for a laugh but it depend who from hacker media is going. 

Yeah definitely avoid those Hak5 guys, they are a bunch of trouble makers!

• 2 months later...
Metatron, you might miss your chance to win an eee-pc if you don't show up.

I had one and didn't like it at all. it serves no useful purpose in my life, I've talked about my reasons in other threads. If I wanted another one, which I might when they come with better screens and wimax I'll by one myself or get one for free from somewhere.

I really only talk to people I respect at some level, I try to avoid scene whores. 

I had one and didn't like it at all. it serves no useful purpose in my life, I've talked about my reasons in other threads. If I wanted another one, which I might when they come with better screens and wimax I'll by one myself or get one for free from somewhere.

I really only talk to people I respect at some level, I try to avoid scene whores. 

I'm sorry I said anything...

I'm sorry I said anything...

Metatron = The Hak.5 Dr. House...

should hold it in the land of BBQ's Australia.

When I start making the big bucks, I will get back over to Ol' Aus

Metatron = The Hak.5 Dr. House...

Cool, at ShmooCon I'll just look for the guy with a cane and a colorful personality