CSS changes

VaKo

Made a few CSS changes to fix a few tiny bugs like the wrong tittle bar showing up when you view a post history and moving the New Post button away from the New Poll button. Comments?

Good job... I saw it.

Edit your keywords please.

<meta name="keywords" content="PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" />

:P , do not worry... its like that default... many web admins forget about it.

I don't think so... I just clicked on one of hsn's posts http://forums.hak5.org/index.php/topic,787...g81782.html#new and it immediately took me to the bottom of the page with all of the whitespace.  its not a big issue, but its annoying (and so is the whitespace ;) )

Ahh, maybe it's not fixed then... I just hadn't seen it since I saw this thread. :P

I thought I was going mad when the font changed, I figured I'd been looking at IRC too long... I preferred the new font, but either way, I think some of the text is still using the newer font (nav buttons, stuff in the text below the header logo).

I'm going to keep playing about with it tbh, maybe even try some serif fonts, as they always add a touch of class. But tbh, i'm awaiting the graphics package from the cast to re-do the entire thing to be more in line with the S3 graphics.

I'm going to keep playing about with it tbh, maybe even try some serif fonts, as they always add a touch of class. But tbh, i'm awaiting the graphics package from the cast to re-do the entire thing to be more in line with the S3 graphics.

I always wondered why the forums didn;t take on the new main page header image.

top.jpg

This has happened a couple of times to me since you changed the CSS, refreshing the page brings it back to normal.

width=638 height=409http://arch.kimag.es/share/13427459.png[/img]

It happens at random times but I've only ever seen it in Firefox, probably because I use Firefox 90% of the time. Apart from the browser I cant think of anything in common when it happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Check the image: http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/cs...ring_issues.jpg

Notice anything weired? These are screen caps from within a few seconds of each other, and in one, the bottom of the forum page is wide, and centered, and in the next instance, it is slightly smaller and aligned left. Not sure what the deal is but seems to render both of them randomly, or am I missing something? While not a problem in loading the page, just wondered what causes this shift from center to aligned left at random.

BTW, I am running Opera under XP if that helps any...

This has happened a couple of times to me since you changed the CSS, refreshing the page brings it back to normal.

width=638 height=409http://arch.kimag.es/share/13427459.png[/img]

It happens at random times but I've only ever seen it in Firefox, probably because I use Firefox 90% of the time. Apart from the browser I cant think of anything in common when it happens.

Thats just a random error where the menu image doesn't load, refreshing the page should help.

Notice anything weired? These are screen caps from within a few seconds of each other, and in one, the bottom of the forum page is wide, and centered, and in the next instance, it is slightly smaller and aligned left. Not sure what the deal is but seems to render both of them randomly, or am I missing something? While not a problem in loading the page, just wondered what causes this shift from center to aligned left at random.

Not sure, the css validates apart from some missing colors and the -moz-border-radius values. I do notice that it only happens when it loads it for the first time, and not subsiquent page loads. How long has it been happening for?

Not sure, the css validates apart from some missing colors and the -moz-border-radius values. I do notice that it only happens when it loads it for the first time, and not subsiquent page loads. How long has it been happening for?

I see it a lot and always wondered what it was that caused it. Like I said, it seems random and trying to reporduce it is the luck of the draw. It is usually centered for me when th epage first loads, then sometimes I get the left alignment, then later it goes back to center.

Looks like some unescaped div tags. I count, but you can recheck:

14 &lt;div down the page
12 &lt;/div down the page

Wonder if this causes any issues with the

text-align: justify

which can add spaces or even center isntead of placing left,right within margins.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/justify.html#bugs

and

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#text-align

5.4.6    'text-align'

Value: left | right | center | justify

Initial: UA specific

Applies to: block-level elements

Inherited: yes

Percentage values: N/A

This property describes how text is aligned within the element. The actual justification algorithm used is UA and human language dependent.

Example:

DIV.center { text-align: center }

Since 'text-align' inherits, all block-level elements inside the 'DIV' element with 'CLASS=center' will be centered. Note that alignments are relative to the width of the element, not the canvas. If 'justify' is not supported, the UA will supply a replacement. Typically, this will be 'left' for western languages.

CSS1 core: UAs may treat 'justify' as 'left' or 'right', depending on whether the element's default writing direction is left-to-right or right-to-left, respectively.

Cover this a bit more. I can not see anything in the css sheets that would make any issue other than the justify tag, which I notice causes issues when posting certain lines of text where it spaces them out like

this          is            an        example          of

what it looks like sometimes.

and the DIV tag missing closing might make certain elements inherit other style settings from not intended.

BTW, I saved the source from the page when it loads center and left respectivly, and the source code is identical in both instances, so it is a problem somewhere in the rendering step by the browser, since there is not a single line of code different between the two of them. Im thinking somehting to do with the DIV tags not being closed and inheriting settings, but I can not prove this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats odd, I've never seen that happen.  It appears that the bar is collapsing, which happens when an element is empty or the contents has taken out of the document flow by using "position: absolute".  The div's could be causing firefox to render in quirks mode, which is well... quirky.

And when you "saved the source" was it the just the html or the css too?

Thats odd, I've never seen that happen.  It appears that the bar is collapsing, which happens when an element is empty or the contents has taken out of the document flow by using "position: absolute".  The div's could be causing firefox to render in quirks mode, which is well... quirky.

And when you "saved the source" was it the just the html or the css too?

Just the page itself through view-source.

I counted all the div tags in the page and noticed that there are two missing

&lt;/div&gt;

tags somewhere in the page but not sure where they need to be placed. I think the missing div tags is causing the randomness during the rendering of the page since they arent closed and it woudl cause other elemnts to inherit from the parent div tag.

Go back to the main forums page and view the source and count them all and tell me how many of each you see. There should be 14

&lt;div&gt;

and 14

&lt;/div&gt;

tags but I only see 12

&lt;/div&gt;

tags in the page. Maybe the other two are in php somewhere and not shown because they are server side but I would think it would have to display them if its using php to write it out or echo it to the page.

BTW,  I am using Opera, not FF.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another funky screen cap of weird renderings of the pages. Seem to be getting them more often but I can't figure out what the deal is...

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/bugHak5.jpg