Connecting mobile to home LAN

garreh

Hey

I can't find any tutorials or guides on the internet to be able to connect a mobile phone to a home network to receive free internet. If this is possible - can the data be sent via bluetooth? :shock:

Thanks

My Treo 650 does this fine via bluetooth. How it works on my phone is you set the data (ie GRPS/WAP) to a bluetooth connection and use internet sharing on a bluetooth enabled windows box to hook it into your lan.

But seeing as your phone most likely cannot do that, you easist option is to use a DynDNS account, port forwarding and your phones data plan to connect from the WAN side. I used to do this with a cheap ass LG flip phone; no problem. My advice is to tweak your end of things to be extreemly low bandwidth (ie text only), to save you money on your cell phone data plan.

My Treo 650 does this fine via bluetooth. How it works on my phone is you set the data (ie GRPS/WAP) to a bluetooth connection and use internet sharing on a bluetooth enabled windows box to hook it into your lan.

But seeing as your phone most likely cannot do that, you easist option is to use a DynDNS account, port forwarding and your phones data plan to connect from the WAN side. I used to do this with a cheap ass LG flip phone; no problem. My advice is to tweak your end of things to be extreemly low bandwidth (ie text only), to save you money on your cell phone data plan.

I'm suprised I cannot find any information on this on google or any other search engine. Do you need any kind of special software?

The w810i is a new phone and supports wap/bluetooth etc.

(Treo's aren't really phones, there more like a Palm PDA with a cell phone duct taped to the back of it, which is cool if you use email more than text or voice. This means you can "hack" them a tad more than normal phones. Since what I'm doing is bypassing my operators network, and using the net for "free" this is normally locked out of the more comerical phones.)

Depends what you want to do with your phone on your LAN, i used mine as a remote control for winamp.

Its not that hard to setup:

First get yourself a dynDNSaccount (this allows you to assign a domain name for your dynamic IP, like [yourname].ath.cx). You will also need some kinda util to update this running on your PC, my router does this itself.

Then you need to run some kinda service to connect to, like SlimServer or a winamp plugin, or apache.

Then you need to note down what port # it uses, say port 80 for apache or 32534 or whatever for slim server. And forward this port on your router to your computers local IP address (you will need to setup a static IP address for this) & open that port on the pc firewall. This allows remote connections to your computer from the internet.

Then just open your phone browser and connect to [yourname].ath.cx:[port#] and it should bring up a webpage running on your computer.