General Cleaning

Arsenic

A common question that the "computer guy" gets asked is "How do I make my computer faster?"  Typically I tell them that short of adding some possibly needed ram, and upgrading other hardware I can't make it any faster, but that I can make it run like it's supposed to (Assuming that is probably bogged down by tons of crap).  Then I either give them some instructions on how to do it themselves or just get duped into doing it for them.  Anyway, I wanted to compare software, and tactics with other people on how they usually clean a system out.

I usually uninstall unused or unnecessary programs, change the startup programs through msconfig in a similar fashion.  Install firefox and hide the IE icon (JK, but I do recommend FF over IE to them).  Then I Use spybot, and ccleaner, virus-scan (I can't seem to stick with anything in particular for AV), and then I check to see if a defrag is necessary.

-If they have huge AV suites, I recommend some lighter weight options.

-I used to use Ad-aware, but it always just seemed to get rid of cookies which I think ccleaner does as well.

-I also remove old profiles.

I just generally stop anything useless from launching at boot via msconfig, and use a program called Window Washer to clear out the crap. If it really is bad, a fresh install and user education should sort this out for them. Beyond a certain point its a waste of time and effort to repair a screwed os.

I just generally stop anything useless from launching at boot via msconfig, and use a program called Window Washer to clear out the crap. If it really is bad, a fresh install and user education should sort this out for them. Beyond a certain point its a waste of time and effort to repair a screwed os.

Very cool, never heard of this application. Yes you may disable programs from launching at startup by clicking on the start menu then going to run and typing in msconfig then uncheck what you do not wish to run at startup.

Im pretty much the same as Vako, window washer to clear all temp and junk files, MSconfig to stop unneeded processes / applications, though i also clean out the startup folder in the start menu.

I also tack up VMem a lil, this is just to make sure that its optimal. and suggest not to keep many icons on the desktop (for older machines).

Ofcourse a defrag is done, and if i am being paid i will also do a reg clean (though to me i think there usless).