i need a free software which does..

xaero

ok i have another computer at home .. and  yes, with internet access.. but lately, my mother and my younger brother have somewhat became addicted to onlne "flash" games... yay! -not! so they just think that they are too smart for themselves and when a little box pops but and says "YOU'VE WON! YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN AS 1 OF MANY PEOPLE..." blah blah blah.. the you-know-what ads which deserately try to get ppl who dont know what spam and phishing is to click on them... sooo ... thats what they did... -.- and it links them to another page, and another page, and another page, and another page.. until u finally fillin in your email, address.. etc... :(

and another time my younger brother was playing his "flash" game -.- .. another nice littlt pop-up came and said "You need to install an active X content in order to play" ---- he almost click on it like every other PLAY button u see on flash sites... he didnt even stop to read that the hell it was or what that thing might be!--hes only7yr/old.. (coz i was there when it happened.. imagine if it was a malware or what-evert-u-call-it-shit-ware-that-screws-u ...)

i installed a firewall but whenever my great mother sees the pop-up dialog that comes up to confirm if something wants to access the internet, she clicks X to close the damn thing instead of reading what it means or says before clicking allow or deny!

sooo... i am finding for a FREE software which can help me :

-disable all flash/active x content from websites..

-disable launching applications from the browser

-blocklist sites from internet exploere and firefox both..

-limit the time ppl spend on the internet..

-kill all the bad ads. for good..

Either set up a router with controlling capabilities or cut the CAT cable to the computer. I did both. :)

http://www.dd-wrt.com

u r a fag

on topic:

if you using vista it can do this via parental controls (I think)

else add firefox move/rename iexplorer.exe and set firefox to not allow what you don't want them too

and tell them about www.pogo.com fun Java game with no malware

1. doh! i forgot all about my router config page -.-

2. i ust have internet explorer coz the sites i visit and my mother visits are built based on ie 5 and above.. sooo is there an add-on that does this?

Several thigns you can do.

Upgrade IE5 to 6 (or 7) and turn on Popup blocker for all sites except the ones you ad to it.

1, start with your DNS. If you run through OpenDNS, they have a anti-phishing/fraud tool built in that scans each site you visit. It's a start to help block malware, etc. It does not however stop stupid user intervention, so if they ignore the warning and continue to surf to said known site, then your defeating the service. This is settings that can be changed in the Router, or manually through TCP/IP settings on the NIC: http://www.opendns.com/

2, Get a good HOSTS file block list. I'll post mine here if you want it. It blocks a lot of ads and crap, but is not a complete site list or 100% effective:

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/HOSTS

3, Group Policy: (gpedit.msc from a run prompt in XP or Vista) will let you disable certain features in iexplorer(and the OS), like not being able to install active-x files, etc. You can also make it so files cannot be downloaded or browser security settings changed from your liking.

4, ZoneAlarm PRO or Suite: While NOT FREE it is a good choice if you can get a copy. Built in spyware/virus detection (using Kaspersky as it smain anti-virus engine), spam filter, ad and popup blockers. Also phishing filter/fraud site checker. Allows you to block Javascript, Java and VBScript on a per site basis using the privacy settings. Password protect Zonealarm and they need to type a password to make any changes to it's settings or to allow any programs to run. You of course will spend a lot of time tweaking it, but it is to your advantage to set up the programs you want to have Internet Access and then turn the password feature on. Then any program that tries to use the internet or make changes will prompt for a password in order to get around it. It also makes it so no programs can add themselves to the startup/services section in the registry without your permission, and can even lock the HOSTS file so no one or programs can change it without your permission. A lot of other features too, like ARP protection, PORT settings, multiple NIC detection.

5, Fully Patch windows with all the latest updates (aside form things like IE7 if you like IE5/6 better. 6 is better than 5 by bar, and I also like it better than 7, although 7 fixes a lot of site issues for compatible CSS rendering it has a few flaws in it that arent exploitable in 6).

6, EDUCATE your MOM and Brother.

Several thigns you can do.

Upgrade IE5 to 6 (or 7) and turn on Popup blocker for all sites except the ones you ad to it.

1, start with your DNS. If you run through OpenDNS, they have a anti-phishing/fraud tool built in that scans each site you visit. It's a start to help block malware, etc. It does not however stop stupid user intervention, so if they ignore the warning and continue to surf to said known site, then your defeating the service. This is settings that can be changed in the Router, or manually through TCP/IP settings on the NIC: http://www.opendns.com/

2, Get a good HOSTS file block list. I'll post mine here if you want it. It blocks a lot of ads and crap, but is not a complete site list or 100% effective:

5, Fully Patch windows with all the latest updates (aside form things like IE7 if you like IE5/6 better. 6 is better than 5 by bar, and I also like it better than 7, although 7 fixes a lot of site issues for compatible CSS rendering it has a few flaws in it that arent exploitable in 6).

6, EDUCATE your MOM and Brother.

This is what I was going to suggest, especially number 6.  The DD-WRT firmware doesn't block websites to effectively BTW.

point number 6 is out of the qns... do u know how long it took me to explain that you cant burn a cd without a cd burner?? and how to install a damn printer??

-ok.. i'm looking into add-ons that i can find for both internet exploere and firefox.. and reccomendation?

-what do i do with the host file?

-i tried opendns but i cant use thier service coz my isp uses a proxy.. :( :( :(

point number 6 is out of the qns... do u know how long it took me to explain that you cant burn a cd without a cd burner?? and how to install a damn printer??

-ok.. i'm looking into add-ons that i can find for both internet exploere and firefox.. and reccomendation?

-i tried opendns but i cant use thier service coz my isp uses a proxy.. :( :( :(

Save the hosts file in "C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc" for WIndows XP. Not sure where it saves it on Vista, but probably the same place. If it saves it with a txt extension, rename it. It needs to be all caps, no file extension. Windows95/98 just saves it in the "c:windows" folder. Then, anytime they make a request for a sit eyou want to block, just put it in the file, using the same format, localhost (127.0.0.1) first, then the sit eyou want to block next, each on their own line, like in the file. You can also do other redirects to any site you want. EX: if you don't want people to be able to visit myspace, you can redirect them to google by placing googles ip address first followed by www.myspace.com like so

#Redirect from MySpace to google
72.14.207.99    www.myspace.com
72.14.207.99    myspace.com
72.14.207.99    login.myspace.com

They will not be able to get around this unless they edit the hosts file, and from what you have been telling all of us, I don't think they would even know what the hell to do. If you want it to time out instead, just use:

127.0.0.1    www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1    myspace.com
127.0.0.1    login.myspace.com

IE comes with a way to blacklist (or whitelist) websites.

You might actually still be able to use it through a proxy, you just won't get name correction fro typos and a few other features.

http://www.opendns.com/support/article/129

Save the hosts file in "C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc" for WIndows XP. Not sure where it saves it on Vista, but probably the same place. If it saves it with a txt extension, rename it. It needs to be all caps, no file extension. Windows95/98 just saves it in the "c:windows" folder. Then, anytime they make a request for a sit eyou want to block, just put it in the file, using the same format, localhost (127.0.0.1) first, then the sit eyou want to block next, each on their own line, like in the file. You can also do other redirects to any site you want. EX: if you don't want people to be able to visit myspace, you can redirect them to google by placing googles ip address first followed by www.myspace.com like so

#Redirect from MySpace to google
72.14.207.99    www.myspace.com
72.14.207.99    myspace.com
72.14.207.99    login.myspace.com

They will not be able to get around this unless they edit the hosts file, and from what you have been telling all of us, I don't think they would even know what the hell to do. If you want it to time out instead, just use:

127.0.0.1    www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1    myspace.com
127.0.0.1    login.myspace.com

dude don't bother with this I tried this on my sister and she got around it... from a tut on hak5 no less

dude don't bother with this I tried this on my sister and she got around it... from a tut on hak5 no less

It will at least slow them down, but I guess it would take forever to setup a large enough list.  Really you need to buy a comercially available content filter if you really want to accomplish this xaero.  Another option is to give them extremely limited user rights or set them up with a Ubuntu box.  Also you could run a few different anti-virus/spyware programs to combat there misbehaviors.

make something up

use a lot of computer like words and tell them that there's a new trogan worm out that does bad thing to people use that thing you want to not to do and it will fry the computer and cost 2000$ to fix and if they do this and that boom problem solved

make something up

use a lot of computer like words and tell them that there's a new trogan worm out that does bad thing to people use that thing you want to not to do and it will fry the computer and cost 2000$ to fix and if they do this and that boom problem solved

nope, that doesnt work. tried that. everytime when the computer screws up, they blame it on me. thats why i'm going through all this trouble..

it has to be windows.. not ubuntu.. coz they are not used to seeing things they dont usually see... =.= ..

opendns still doesnt work, i tried it but my isp doesnt seem to like using someone elses dns..

i grabbed a copy of ie7pro addon.. seems to work but lacks password protection :(

for firefox, i downloaded the noscript and blocklist addon..and public fox addon.. noscript doesnt have password protection but blocklist does... if i really have to, i'll use my Comodo Firewall and Drive Sentry to block internet explorer.. if..

i also changed the account type to limited.. hmm.. hope it works..

now i need something that can limit bandwidth..

~edit~

i grabbed a copy of Traffic Shaper XP v.1.20 .. seems to be working.. now

-i blocked internet explorer with firefox and installed IEtab for firefox..

now to add the HOST file..

make something up

nope, that doesnt work. tried that. everytime when the computer screws up, they blame it on me. thats why i'm going through all this trouble..

it has to be windows.. not ubuntu.. coz they are not used to seeing things they dont usually see... =.= ..

opendns still doesnt work, i tried it but my isp doesnt seem to like using someone elses dns..

i grabbed a copy of ie7pro addon.. seems to work but lacks password protection :(

for firefox, i downloaded the noscript and blocklist addon..and public fox addon.. noscript doesnt have password protection but blocklist does... if i really have to, i'll use my Comodo Firewall and Drive Sentry to block internet explorer.. if..

i also changed the account type to limited.. hmm.. hope it works..

now i need something that can limit bandwidth..

~edit~

i grabbed a copy of Traffic Shaper XP v.1.20 .. seems to be working.. now

-i blocked internet explorer with firefox and installed IEtab for firefox..

now to add the HOST file..

Don't forget about Group Policy Editor. You can lock down IE a pretty easily with gpedit.

@digip

7. download SpyBot Search and Destroy also!

I use that and it modifies the Host file blocking sites but pop ups will still happen but this will block a lot of them. PLUS ITS FREE!!.

If that happens get Zone alarm there is an option to Lock the host file from being changed :D (but if you update Spybot to update the host untick the box in zonealarm (spend a few min's thinking why it wouldnt update it lol) that should solve one of your problems)

edited due to quotes not working Damm autotype

You could buy two hard drives, clean install windows, clone the disks, put one disk away, and when they break the computer, clone the master back onto the machine.

Wouldn't you want to prevent them from breaking the computer instead of weekly restores.

You could buy two hard drives, clean install windows, clone the disks, put one disk away, and when they break the computer, clone the master back onto the machine.

Wouldn't you want to prevent them from breaking the computer instead of weekly restores.

True but when they do break it, this would be an easier solution than a complete reinstall.

LOL! you talk like i have all the money in they world =.= ..

any.. thanks for the advice guys... hope it works..