Firewall Question.

Wgcorps

I'm looking for suggestions for a decent physical fire wall that is semi cheap. I want to pretty much just have it so I can set it up and learn how to exploit it. So far I've come across is the Netgear prosafe VPN firewall 8 with 4 port switch.  (FVS114) And a  Linksys Ethernet fast Firewall router (BEFSX41). The linksys one really doesn't seem much of a firewall to me though. So, I guess and suggestions or past experiences would be really helpful.

If you only have $200 to spend get a box and look at ipcop, smmoth wall or playing with ipTables.

I don't want to spend over $200.... Sooo i really don't know much as for what you get for what you pay. I'd like to learn how to set up DMZ, and how to block DoS attacks, and how packet filtering works. If that helps.

Companies use Cisco and other big name firewalls there is no point building your own if you are looking to learn the real thing. If your just defending your network then yeah build your own they are fairly good, just not industry standard (Although they can do the same things mostly).

If you only have $200 to spend get a box and look at ipcop, smmoth wall or playing with ipTables.

I don't want to spend over $200.... Sooo i really don't know much as for what you get for what you pay. I'd like to learn how to set up DMZ, and how to block DoS attacks, and how packet filtering works. If that helps.

Companies use Cisco and other big name firewalls there is no point building your own if you are looking to learn the real thing. If your just defending your network then yeah build your own they are fairly good, just not industry standard (Although they can do the same things mostly).

what can cisco do that you cant with *nix?

what can cisco do that you cant with *nix?

I'm not overly happy with deep packet inspection on Linux based firewalls. All I’m really saying is if you want to learn firewalls or even routers you don’t build your own using products which are designed to be easy to use, you go out and build yourself a lab with Cisco, Jupiter Networks and SonicWALL products among others.

If you can get the Bivio Networks source code send me a link as that shit is hot!