Basic Network Hacking

lilgulpa

hello i am a simple IT intern for my High school and i work on various computer jobs, fixing, patching, upgrading ...etc i am mostly a hardware guy. but yesterday i got a contract from the owner of a small firm to built 10 workstation computers. they want a basic star topology and all drives are shares this i can do but why big problem is that there current computers are still in use and need all the information ripped out of them "IMPORTANT STUFF". so I'm trying to figure out how i can access there little network from home without having them do too much work. i have tried basic Trojans and various other thing but i need some way of connecting to individual computer and not the static network ip VPN, VNC, BACKDOOR ? any help is much appreciated

Specifics about current network

star topology

4 port modem hooked to a 10 port switch

basic windows xp

no antivirus

all network drives are shared to one another

static ip

physical access can be obtained

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry about the story :)

Your story is a bit hard to read, but it sounds like you need a ftp client.  It sound a bit fishy though, and I will leave it up to other people to help you out more; I don't know why you couldn't simply go over there to back up the data, even if you do it remotely some initial work over at the site is needed.  A good VPN client would accomplish what you need btw. 

P.S. If it is that important, leaving the computers open like that is not a good idea.  You should set them up with a good firewall/anti-virus and do the data copying at the site.  The more I read the post the more of a "help me hack my school/neighbors/kid I'm pissed off at" feel to it.  Also, this belongs in questions.

Trojans? Viruses? WTF? If you want remote access use a VPN.

QFE.

What are even CONSIDERING using these in a corporate environment?!

You either need some common sense and to go back and read the fundamentals or I call BS.

what you will need to do is get the owner to let you into the building at  a time like Saturday from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM

most companies have extra hard drives  stored  on one of the rooms, what you will need to do is install a second hard drive in each computer and backup all partitions  to the backup drives.

since it is only 10 computers,  it will be  quick and easy

companies often have  far too much information  to be transfered through FTP using a home connection in this lifetime (also it will cost you thousands of dollars so get the needed hardware to store the info) , so  the fastest way is to do it is to manually  get access to the computers then copy the partitions to  another drive, then when building the new computers,  you will install what ever OS they use then set it up to look just like how it looked before.

when I build a new computer for someone, I  take screenshots of  as much as I can (settings, files,  the look of everything)  then  after building the new computer, I  install windows then  try my best to make  everything looked like how they looked before, this takes some time but  it gives better results )

also every business that I have worked with  would never even think of having any important info even leave the building  so it is never a solution unless it is a dire emergency  and in that case,  the info would never be sent to me but another company that  handles backups and offers a protection guarantee,  remember  if a business who pays you 2-300 to fix multiple computers would never trust you with info worth hundreds of thousands of dollars ( even if the owner is a family friend)

ok let me put some context on this the firm isn't some big corporate bissnues its pretty small the owner of the place is my friends father. all there information is already backed up and it isn't much just some address's house number just information about there clients. the reason im not going straight to the site is because they are located in download Chicago and i am a good 10 miles north. the only time im going to go there is to set up the 10 workstaion  computers. soo im trying to create some make shit ghetto remote access so i can delete all the information in my spare time. i really don't know much about vpn's or net connection only enougeh to get me around soo any TUT's or guid will be appreciated again sorry about the long story.

Either your a liar or your not capable of doing the job.

If you want remote access to the machines you go down to the site and install a server you can connect to and access the LAN from, or send a specs sheet to the on-site admin. Then you can access all the machines and do whats needed out of hours. If you just want to delete the data from the machines, then mail them a wallet full of boot n' nuke discs with instructions. Trying to use an exploit for this or a virus just sounds like your not invited, or have a really weird idea about computer security (Hench my first comment).

Trojans? Viruses? WTF? If you want remote access use a VPN.

What you have never heard of that?  When I set up computers on a network, I make sure there is no firewall or anti-virus (they just slow me down).  I then send them random viruses and trojans because I am a 1337 haxzor, and I need to do stuff remotely.  I can't imagine what type of systems admin you would be Vako if you don't use malicious coding.

any ways im only 16 im not much or a admin i was only hire to build the workstation but the stuck me with this network job soo i dont know much about this stuff thats why im asking ive read a good 3 network book about this but they only describe the situation and not relay what to do. i get the concept but i have no clue what connections ports porgrams to use soo agian im fairly new to this so any link you know of will halp me

:shock:

My head hurts just trying to follow your request. You don't seem like you actually know anything, and your post makes me think your just another one of those "How do I hack my school" people, although I give you credit for how you started off.

i am a simple IT intern for my High school

Keyword here: High School

The only people I know in High School who get offers for jobs like this are the ones who actually know how to do the job they were hired to do.

I don't even know where to begin with this one....so, I will just leave now. ------> Bashes head into window, jumps out 5th floor window head first to his death, "Ah, the pain is gone now..thank you...."

1 im not trying to hack into my schools network i already have admin right so there is no point, 2 like i said in the beginning i am a hardware guy they pay me 5 dollar a hour to replace dead hard drives and optical drive i like i said and described my whole story i was contracted to BUILD 10 COMPUTERS and i was stuck with this networking job. to junk the drives and prepare them for resale so i am sorry for all you how have misunderstood me i wanted to know how to create a vpn connect to a network and prepare a couple of computer for resale so it was my fualt and to the guy who sent me the google link IM NOT A FUCKING NOOB i tried that dumb ass nvm thanks to the 1 or 2 people who tried to help i might as well ask my employer they run the network at school.

dude you asked for link on the simple things that are all over google so I give you the links that would help you mostand if you're trying to exploit a computer with a virus/trojan/backdoor for remote acess on a computer you can get physical access to you are a noob

there many programs that can be used for this

theres logmein  free https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en (free remote access and it allows file transfers  (you loose the file transfers after 45 days (trial period) but the remote access remains free)

theres also team viewer http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

this requires  both computers to run the exe, then the computer you want to connect to, that user will tell you the pin number that the program randomly generated,  you type in that number on yours and you will have  remote access to their computers  and if you have a ftp server  or set your pc up as one, you can  log in and copy over  all the files you need

these require  someone on the other end to run the program and give you the number and password

to junk the drives and prepare

You should have said this earlier, you just need to build a boot disk (may I recommend BartPE or HI-Rens (Hi-Rens might be illegal, I'm not sure of the legality of it, a friend gave me a copy)). To properly junk the hdd you will need physical access to it.  And the only real way to make sure data will not be recoverable is to physically destroy the hdd into many tiny pieces, soak them in a highly acidic solution (car battery acid works), then separate the pieces and then if your lucky no one will be able to recover the data.

Calling people dumb asses on the forums is typically the best way to get help, so for a noob, you started off good.  Also, I agree with digip, not many people get these kind of jobs/should get these kind of jobs unless they know what they are doing.  Next time you are having problems consult your school's network admin, he would probably know what to do.  I also have an internship at my high school, and the first thing I do when I have a problem is ask a systems admin or systems support guy, they are all smart, and if it is an internship I am sure they will be glad to help you.  With saying that, I don't know how you got the internship if you don't know the basics, and furthermore I don't know how you got a paying job (then again you only got 5 dollars an hour) if you can't do simple tasks.  You obviously did not take our opening comments very seriously because a good VPN client would have done what you initially half asked (get it like half assed).  The best way for you to learn this is to do some research yourself, that is why no one is giving step by step instructions.  Trust me, you feel a lot better about yourself, and actually know how to fix the problem/question if you figure it out for yourself.  Like somee1se said google is your friend.  :-o

If all you are doing is getting rid of these computer, all you need to do is nuke the drive and reinstall windows.

1. Backup Important Data

2. Download a .iso for Darik's Boot and Nuke (http://dban.sourceforge.net/)

3. Burn the .iso to a CD with something like ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/)

4. Put the CD into the Box and Restart

5. Do a simple wipe, or a low level wipe (something like 3 passes of random data)

6. Locate a Windows Recovery Disc and Reinstall Windows.

7. Sell Machine that has no remnants of important information left

Wiping the data will take a LONG time, depending on the size of the HDD and the level of destruction it could take anywhere from a few hour to a few days.  The simple wipe (reseting all bits to zero) is quicker, but there is greater chance of recovering data.  The Medium wipe (3 passes of pseudo random data) is slower, but more secure.  Anything above that will be overkill for most people, except the DOD

Note: Any data on the Hard Drive will not be recoverable.  This will probably destroy the utility partition on the drive. I also take no responsibility if you screw it up, but I don't see how you can.

I'm not sure if thats what your looking for, but that how I would do it.  There really is no way to ensure that all confidential data is destroyed without using a boot disk and wiping the drive.

Just in case you didn't know, deleting a file to the recycle bin, or even emptying the recycle bin doesn't delete a file from the hard drive, it just marks the space as free. So it is still possible to go back and recover information.

Physically destroying the Hard Drives is any easy way to get rid of data if you don't care about buying a new hdd.  Using DBAN (Darik's boot and nuke) and doing something like 3 or 7 wipes is more than enough to foil most attempts to recover any data.