I'm new...

Employee

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live cds ubuntu, knoppix, pclinuxos and mepis among a few have live cds. Alternatively just get hold of vmware player edit the vmx file for your distro of choice and run the iso in a Virtual machine on your win box

Ok let me start by saying my problem.

Well where I live in northern virginia there are a lot of hills. So I'm at the bottom of a 'valley' in between two hills. I have a lan line phone and a cell phone. My cell phone gets barely if any signal in my room; it gets a little signal upstairs though. I was wondering if there was a way to set up maybe a dish that would collect signal and than transfer it down too my room and some how spread it. Is this possible or am I just insane?

(Note I use this thread so I don't make massive amounts of topics and flood the room)

What? I understand basic electronis... i'm for ever messing with electrical stuff and finding ways to do cool stuff. I also have a AS in Physics, admitadly it's an E, but thats becasue I had an extrmly hard time remembering the formula and symbls. I understand the actual workings for the stuff, but the maths is beyond me simply becasue i find it realy hard to remember the equasions.

You know what an A Level is? An AS level is half a A level, i only did physics for one year so I have an AS. If i had done physics for two years I could have gotten a A level.
Still very confused but ok. I have a new question now. I started coding a website, I have this really old computer sitting out side my room and I was wondering how would I go about making this into a 'server' to run a website off of? (Not many people would be going to it)

I like PCLinuxOS for first time users.Like me :lol:

Im sorry but I just have to say something. I would not, i repeat would not recomend pclinuxos for a new linux user. The reason for this is because it tries to copy windows too much. Using pclinuxos doesnt really teach you much about linux. As a starting distro I would highly recomend suse. I am not a suse user myself but I have tried it, and it has a gui tailored for beginners without sacrificing the stability and power of linux.