Stumped on XP Keyboard/Mouse issue!

Nophix

So, I'm working on a mouse issue for a friend. H has tried numerous mice(all USB), and as the same problem with them all. It freezes for a second or two every so often for no reason. He's even gone as far as to reformat and reinstall Windows XP. We've tried updated drivers, virus scans, malware/spyware scans, and everything I can think of.

However, in the latest quest to resolve the issue, he is now losing keyboard functionality on restart. It works fine through BIOS, but goes rearded as soon as it hits Windows. You can uninstall and reinstall the drivers and it works fine until restart.

The system is an Athlon 64 with 2GB RAM, an 800GTS video card and plenty of power. The mouse is a standard USB Logitech currently, and his keboard is a PS/2 Microsoft. We have tried numerous keyboard and mouse combos though. All with the same results.

The only things we did before the system quit seeing the keyboard is run an updated AVG scan, and Ad Aware scan. That's it.

Any clue what could be happening?

Thanks all!

So, I'm working on a mouse issue for a friend. H has tried numerous mice(all USB), and as the same problem with them all. It freezes for a second or two every so often for no reason. He's even gone as far as to reformat and reinstall Windows XP. We've tried updated drivers, virus scans, malware/spyware scans, and everything I can think of.

However, in the latest quest to resolve the issue, he is now losing keyboard functionality on restart. It works fine through BIOS, but goes rearded as soon as it hits Windows. You can uninstall and reinstall the drivers and it works fine until restart.

The system is an Athlon 64 with 2GB RAM, an 800GTS video card and plenty of power. The mouse is a standard USB Logitech currently, and his keboard is a PS/2 Microsoft. We have tried numerous keyboard and mouse combos though. All with the same results.

The only things we did before the system quit seeing the keyboard is run an updated AVG scan, and Ad Aware scan. That's it.

Any clue what could be happening?

Thanks all!

Possible hardware issue? When building it he may have touched a very small motherboard chip with his fingers... many possibilities.

once windows has fully booted, remove the keyboard / mouse from the USB ports, then swap them around when re-pluging them in, this should cause the drivers to be checked, if this doesnt work, remove both keyboard / Mouse, use a PS/2 Keyboard, go into Device Manager, and uninstall the drivers for your USB Keyboad / Mouse, then plug the USB ones back in again.

Boot with a ps2 adaptor, then do what digip said.

??  :shock: I have not replied to this thread...

Ok, keyboard was a registry problem. That seems to be fixed now, however, we still have the mouse issue. Numerous mice, same problem. It works fine or a bit, then it pauses for a few seconds, then goes back to normal.

Just the mouse is USB. Computer seems to be ok, mouse just stops for a second and then jumps to where it would be if it hadn't stopped. Lense is clean, and multiple mice have had the same problem.zsw

How does the Keyboard get scewed up in the Registry? If somehtign like that was messed up in the registry, then would it be safe to say there are other issues at hand? Virus, Spyware, etc. Bad HDD or MoBo.

A live CD would not show to omuch if it was related to the HDD or Windows installation, but it could rule out the Mouse hardware and USB. It probably resides within the windows settings or drivers, but like I said, if the registry was messed up for the keyboard, there is somehting else amiss.

I'm not even entirely sure what the deal was. Like I said though, it was killing it upon Windows bootup, so I'm wondering if there was something in the Registry that was conflicting with the drivers, or not allowing them to properly load. I ran Eusing Registry Cleaner on it a couple times, and the keyboard issue is history. Multiple reboots and shut downs since, and it works fine every time.

Don't get me wrong, I still think something is wrong with Windows. CPU usage spikes to 100% on explorer when the mouse freezes. He's done a reformat once before, but we're ging to try it one more time to be sure, since it's been a while. I'm thinking maybe he did more of a recovery vs a reformat.

Boot with a ps2 adaptor, then do what digip said.

??  :shock: I have not replied to this thread...

Deveant, not Digip, my mistake.

The basic problem is that there is a pause between the thing working with BIOS and with the windows generic USB HID drivers kicking in. You need to make windows use the correct drivers from boot.