Linux PJ Virtual Machine?

TOKe

Hey,

Has anyone built a Linux VM running PJ???

I was planning on building on using PCLinux and popping a torrent out there somewhere... Just wondering if someone has beaten me to the punch... I dont want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

I guess I didn't phrase that too well.

I read up on that link earlier on how to get this running in Wine.... It doesn't look like it will be a problem.

What I was planning was loading the linux OS as a virtual machine so I could have a "portable and free" PJ setup...

I could pop the virtual machine on a CD, take it with me and have a functional PJ machine if I'm at my folks, friends, work, etc etc...

Hii,

This is what i've done so far:

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php/topic,7173.0.html

It's a Linux Live CD and hence will be run in a Virtual Machine easily.

The [Grab] button doesn't work though, that means you can only

listen and grab manually.  For a working "portable" solution i'd take

a look at the U3/"Portable" version of FireFox, etc., but that's Windows.

:roll:

I suppose WinE under Linux is equivalent to VMWare under Windows:

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?topic=7549.0

WINE is a layer that sits between the program you're running and your non-Windows OS, it translates 'commands' (for lack of a better word) between the OS and app, since Linux doesn't have native Win32 support. It can only run single programs and would not run an OS.

VMWare is a full blown virtualisation product which, for all intents and purposes, is a whole virtual computer in software form. You can do anything on it that can be done on a real PC.

Thanks for the clarification, MoonLit!

Then VMWare for Linux is preferable to WinE but it wasn't my idea to use WinE to run

the Windows version of FireFox (plus the Pandora's Jar suite) under Linux anyway...

:-)

That's cool... that was my plan originally. I want a Linux Virtual Machine running PJ in Firefox through WINE...

I am downloading a prebuilt install of PCLinuxOS from VMwares site now...

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/961 (there are other flavors of linux there if you want a leaner build)

I know it's bulky and overkill on as far as the OS is concerned but it should only take a few minutes for me to get PJ working in it..

I'm thinking I'll setup PJ to run in the background and install Freevo or something on it and point freevo to the grabbed mp3s...

Then I will be able to have PJ grabbing songs transparently and have a nice multimedia center front end for my tunes...