Home web server

kidstar64

Hey guys,

So this is my first post here and i consider myself pretty computer savvy until i came across www. hack5. com.  it has been very educational watching all of the episodes and now i want to try some things of my own.

So I'm trying to turn my regular use computer into a web server while still maintaining its functionality.  so have Apache install and have no idea how it works.  I want to be able to download say my music files and host some http pages for my personal use.  so i guess my question how can i do this, for free or about 30bucks.

If you have just done the basic install, you should now go and Edit some Configuration files. Open httpd.conf file (think it is the a folder called etc) in a Text Editor. Look for a line that says "Listen 80". Change This to "Listen YouLocalIP:80". Now, Log in to your Router and Set up Port Forwarding to the Local IP address. I have tried to keep this as breif as possible.

No no no no... You shouldn't do this at all, your setting apache to listen to your private IP only. You should set apache to listen on port 80 on any IP address, ie your LAN IP and your local loopback. Which is the defualt setting anyway. The only reason you would need to enter a specific IP is if you have multiple IP's assigned to one machine, some of which you don't want apache to listen on.

If you only about $30 to spend, see if you can get hold of an old P3/P4 type system. A lot of company's are scrapping systems like this so you should be able to pick something like that up for pretty cheap. Something like this would make a perfect web server for home use, especially old corporate desktop systems (typically there quiet, don't use much power and have a small foot print). Then just install your choice of OS along with *AMP and your set. I would never recommend using your main PC as a publically accessible webserver for many, many reasons, especially since its not that hard to pick up old PC's for next-to-nothing/free.

As for software, my personal choice would be FreeBSD (with a customized kernel) running Apache 2, PHP 5 and MySQL 5, but if its your first venture into running a server of any type you might want to look at just running XAMMP on windows. No, not the greatest thing in the world, but it does the job nicely.

Hmm - this has set my brain into gear.  If it can be as cheap and simple as that, maybe I should investigate myself?  I realise that I shouldn't put this on my main PC nor let it be accessible from the internet (some ISPs don't allow home web servers).  I'll look around for some tutorials.

Sorry to interrupt, but I have been trying to host a web server on my main console as well, but these cheap computers I hear about are very intersting, is there any website I can get them off of? Because, where I live at, few computer shows and auctions are rare , and everything is through the net.

The 7 I have (3Ghz P4's, 2GB of DDR 3200), came out of a skip I was supposed to be filling with old kit that was being scrapped. I would have taken more but I had to use the bus to get them home lol. I suggest some dumpster diving, putting the word out amongst friends, family etc or getting a weekend job working in a computer store or similar.

... as long as you've paid attention to security...

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  I'm not sufficiently up to speed to lock it down 100% (if that's ever possible), or at least not without plenty of tutorials and guidance from groups such as this!

The 7 I have (3Ghz P4's, 2GB of DDR 3200), came out of a skip I was supposed to be filling with old kit that was being scrapped. I would have taken more but I had to use the bus to get them home lol. I suggest some dumpster diving, putting the word out amongst friends, family etc or getting a weekend job working in a computer store or similar.

Ha ha. Great idea.

or getting a weekend job working in a computer store or similar.

Also, would you recommend to a newb at web hosting Apache to start out with, or the IIS that comes with 2003 server?

They can both host your files for sharing over the internet or lan. I personally like the fact that Apache through xampp is simple. Unzipping it and running the setup script and your pretty much done(aside from securing phpAdmin and MySql settings). Start the Apache service, place your html,php and shared files you want hosted in the htdocs folder, call up your IP address in a web browser and your running. Turn the Apache service off and there is no access to the hosted files.

I have never used the IIS service, so I can't speak personally on how easy or well it works. I guess it depends on personal preference and needs, and how well you can secure it.

Also, try Abyss (X1 of course)

Abyss Web Server

It's a really good one, free (choose X1!), and supports all (I've only had trouble with one protocol, and that is php.

Use it ;)

USBHacker

PHP is at the heart of Cross Platform compatibility these days. What works when coded in PHP on Linux, works when placed on any other server running PHP, wether it be Windows based or some other flavor of *nix. It was meant to make things easier, not harder. When migrating from a test box to the live thing, all you need to do is copy the pages over from one box to the other and your done.

Anything that cannot run PHP is not even worth the time if you want ease of use and flexibility. I have only just started learning it and already see how much easier it makes things. Especially when your doing work for someone and you need to make sure that it works when you move it from your test box to the live website.

Abyss Web Server

It's a really good one, free (choose X1!), and supports all (I've only had trouble with one protocol, and that is php.

Use it ;)

USBHacker

There's an idea...  Use a web server that doesn't support the most supported server side scripting language (and possabley the most used.)  Nothing wrong with that idea.

Its better to learn to use Apache or IIS because one day someone might want to pay you to run one for them.

Okay. Is apache free? Is it easy to use? Does it support python?

I have seen that it is widely used, does it have an installer? I want to test it out!

Abyss Web Server

Use it ;)

USBHacker

PHP is at the heart of Cross Platform compatibility these days. What works when coded in PHP on Linux, works when placed on any other server running PHP, wether it be Windows based or some other flavor of *nix. It was meant to make things easier, not harder. When migrating from a test box to the live thing, all you need to do is copy the pages over from one box to the other and your done.

Anything that cannot run PHP is not even worth the time if you want ease of use and flexibility. I have only just started learning it and already see how much easier it makes things. Especially when your doing work for someone and you need to make sure that it works when you move it from your test box to the live website.

It's meant to be able to configure with php (http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php.html) but that guide didn't work for me for some reason. It might work for you, if you tried.

Abyss Web Server

Use it ;)

USBHacker

There's an idea...  Use a web server that doesn't support the most supported server side scripting language (and possabley the most used.)  Nothing wrong with that idea.

It's meant to be able too, didn't work for me, might work for you;

http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php.html

Good Luck!

USBHacker

Its better to learn to use Apache or IIS because one day someone might want to pay you to run one for them.

Okay. Is apache free? Is it easy to use? Does it support python?

I have seen that it is widely used, does it have an installer? I want to test it out!

Yes, Yes and Yes. Its also industry standard where as AbyssWS isn't. Learn what people use.