Windows wont load after i add more than 9 hdd's.

Deags

Hi i have 13 hdd's i want to connect upto this PC. But as soon as i connect more than 9 (+ 1 CD drive) the pc gets to the part where it would normally say "windows is loading" and just sits there. I had a poke around in the bios and the maxtor 80GB is set to the boot which is right.

Hi i have 13 hdd's i want to connect upto this PC. But as soon as i connect more than 9 (+ 1 CD drive) the pc gets to the part where it would normally say "windows is loading" and just sits there. I had a poke around in the bios and the maxtor 80GB is set to the boot which is right.

Just curious but how are they connected? Serial , Parralell, USB?

PATA

CD rom, 80GB are on the 1 onboard channel.

then the rest (12) are on 3 controller cards.

when i just run 10 ide devices (works) i have 2 on each controller except one which has 4.

Is it possible one of them is bad or has boot info on it?

Just a little tid bit I found googling:

System Bus Matching: You need to make sure you get a card that works with the system bus type that you are using. Today, PCI controller cards are pretty much the only ones available. If your system uses the VESA local bus (VLB) you may be able to find a controller that will work with that older bus, but to be honest, any system that old is probably getting to the point where spending money upgrading it may be a bad use of funds. If your system only supports ISA then you should really be looking at a new system! The ISA bus is so slow and such systems are so ancient that there's generally no point in even trying to upgrade them.

Controller Conflicts: If you use an add-in card to replace an older hard disk controller card (as is the case with most VLB systems) you just need to take the old card out and replace it with the new one, making sure it is configured properly. If you are putting the card into a PCI-based system that has the hard disk controller built into the motherboard, you should disable the controller in the BIOS setup program or the two controllers may conflict and your system will not work. (Some systems will stubbornly refuse to disable the controller; if your system is like this then this solution is not for you.) Many newer systems that support PnP will let an add-in controller work with its existing controller, but there are other issues. You will spend an IRQ on the new card, and you may not be able to control whether the drives on the new card are "seen" by the system before or after the ones on the existing controller.

Compatibility Issues: These are atypical but there have been occasional problems caused by replacing the existing controller with an add-in card. Mostly these add-in controllers work rather well, though.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/overController-c.html

Maybe don't use the mobo connection and stay strictly with the expansion cards?

after dicking around trying to make a dosbootcd i updated hte firmware on the ITE controller card and i am having no issues.... (for now). i am glad i overcome that problem because i have another 12 hdd's i wanna add.

One Question, What the Hell are you doing? :lol:

after dicking around trying to make a dosbootcd i updated hte firmware on the ITE controller card and i am having no issues.... (for now). i am glad i overcome that problem because i have another 12 hdd's i wanna add.

Trying to download the internet?

Trying to download the internet?

Yeah just grabbing a quick backup to be safe  :D

ok, two things.

1.)Why don't you just get a tb drive?

2.)What is the total space you have?

A1. I don't like getting ripped off. it is all about the $1 per GB. (6 x 400GB drives)  + RAID CARD + POWERSUPPLY == cheaper than 2 x 1TB(or 750GB drives for that matter) drives.

A2. atm only 3.5TB (6 x 400GB. 2 x 160GB. 200GB. 250GB. 320GB. 300GB)