Console to LCD Monitor hook up.

Stevetron

I got the idea into my head to try and use my PC Monitor as a display for my wii.  I've been readin around and for the most part I've seen some arguments and counter-arguments for every point made on connecting them.  I"ve heard tv-tuners lag etc etc and in some cases they don't.  I'm hoping the hak5 community can help me out.  Thx in advance guys.

I got the idea into my head to try and use my PC Monitor as a display for my wii.  I've been readin around and for the most part I've seen some arguments and counter-arguments for every point made on connecting them.  I"ve heard tv-tuners lag etc etc and in some cases they don't.  I'm hoping the hak5 community can help me out.  Thx in advance guys.

Do you want it for both TV and the Wii or just the Wii?

What kind of monitor do you have and what types of hookups can it take? There are all kinds of adapters you can buy to go from rca to vga but if your monitor can take any of the adapters that came with the wii then just hook it up and enjoy. PC monitors will get much better resolution and color than an older tv, but if you have a newer hd television that does 720 or 1080, then stick with the tv.

My 19inch HP pc monitor can take vga and HDMI aqnd I think s-video. Some also allow RGB composite(three color inputs instead of one video input), so depends on the cables you have and what the monitor can receive. TV over an LCD Monitor is really clear. I have an HD Tuner for my PC and its clearer than my television. You just need a beefy pc to get full 1080 HD without any lag, especially if you wanted to use it to record shows. Its more a combo of High-end graphics and a clock speed over 2.5ghz as anything under that will start to lag and your CPU will run maxed out 100% most of the time. Ram helps too, but is not mission critical as I noticed watching shows only uses about 80-100 meg ram. (Recording shows is another story) Core 2 duo's work really well with HD on the pc side as long as you have at least 2.5 ghz, 2 gig ram and a decent graphics card.

Hey thx for all the replies guys.  I have a 19 inch Acer monitor with a DVI connection.  I basically just want to be able to use my wii, I don't really care about the cable tv side of things.  I also want to be able to use my future xbox 360 on it.

these are my pc specs

core 2 duo e6600

2gb corsair xms drr2 800 (got another 2 gb's in the mail)

and an evga 7900gt

Hey thx for all the replies guys.  I have a 19 inch Acer monitor with a DVI connection.  I basically just want to be able to use my wii, I don't really care about the cable tv side of things.  I also want to be able to use my future xbox 360 on it.

these are my pc specs

core 2 duo e6600

2gb corsair xms drr2 800 (got another 2 gb's in the mail)

and an evga 7900gt

Well the pc won't be needed if your just using the wii directly to the monitor.

I'll have to look into buying that sometime.  Thx for all the replies.  One last question though, since I'll be using a monitor with significantly more pixels than a tv I'd be able to play my 360 at 1080p correct?

Depends on the monitor. Some might only go as high as 720p or they will have to scale down the image to fit your screen res. Your monitors max res is 1280 x 1024 so your image might be scaled down from 1920x1080 to 1280 x 1024. Not sure that makes a difference, but it may not display properly and go off the edges of the screen?(Can someone confimr this)  Hook it up and see what you get. I think that is the only way to determine what shows up on the screen. Most 22inch and up display at 1920x1080 max which is standard HD size anyway.

Mine does 1440x900, but since I run through the pc, it scales it to the screen for me through the pc.  If I record an HD show, it records it at 1920x1080 but when played back it scales it back down via whatever media player I am using to fit the screen.