Microsoft updates Windows without users' consent

soulbleed

Microsoft has begun patching files on Windows XP and Vista without users' knowledge, even when the users have turned off auto-updates.

Many companies require testing of patches before they are widely installed, and businesses in this situation are objecting to the stealth patching.

Read more at this link:

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2007/09/13/0...t-users-consent

Microsoft has begun patching files on Windows XP and Vista without users' knowledge, even when the users have turned off auto-updates.

Many companies require testing of patches before they are widely installed, and businesses in this situation are objecting to the stealth patching.

Read more at this link:

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2007/09/13/0...t-users-consent

Well, I only recently updated my system. I did have to download a new WU when I went to get the recent updates from the site, but I only have the new updated version after these last set of patches. The files were not created autimatically like some people have had peoblems with. Thing is, I have it disabled in several places when I am not update the system, so maybe just turning it off in the control panel is not enough. You have to stop the services from running as well, or it will still phone home. You also have to disable it in Internet Explorer, which may not even be possible for some people unless you change it in the registry. Aside from the fact that I do not use IE to surf and my firewall notifies me of every executable that tries to use the my internet onnection, chances are only certain people will have this silent patch installed without knowing.

The tricky thing is, if they can do this, then anyone can, and that is what scares people. I am not sure how they would get around it in pcs that are locked down, but if it is even possible, then someone will find it and exploit it. If Microsoft really had a back door in every version of XP and Vista, I think there woul dbe a major lawsuit on their hands. I do not care if they are the software writers, if they access a network under a "silent" patch, then they could be breaking the law on so many levels. Think of the goverment computers around the world at risk. Not just in the US, but every country whose systems are using Windows XP and Vista. And is it only relavent to Xp and Vista? Why not Win2000, 2003, and the new 2008?