Laptop Screen died! ohh noooz!

anyedie

A friend of mine just got a new laptop, and had no use for the old, so she gave it to me.  (after running DBAN of course).  So I decide I want to hook it up to my xbox 360 and get full use of that 'media center' all of the cool kids seem to enjoy.  I grab an XP disk and begin to install when I notice that the pixles for the bottom 1/3 of the screen are non existant!  Having installed windows enough times, this dident pose to much of a problem, and the way I figure it once its set up... its going to be use headless anyway.  BUT here comes the problem.  The install finishes windows boots up and the screen goes black... well the back-light or whatever goes out, so you can kind of see if you look really close, but not really.  So, I reboot with the same results.... I cannot seem to install an ftp or anything fast enough before the screen goes out.  Also, since the previous OS was wiped there are no drivers installed on it, which means, even if I could install an ftp or a RAT it still wouldent be connected :(

I tried hooking it up to a monitor, and it sends a signal, but its black.  Can anyone help me with a solution on how to get this box on the internet and get some remote tools installed!

P.S- Anyone think of a better use for an old laptop? (512mb RAM- 30gb HD, P4)

A friend of mine just got a new laptop, and had no use for the old, so she gave it to me.  (after running DBAN of course).  So I decide I want to hook it up to my xbox 360 and get full use of that 'media center' all of the cool kids seem to enjoy.  I grab an XP disk and begin to install when I notice that the pixles for the bottom 1/3 of the screen are non existant!  Having installed windows enough times, this dident pose to much of a problem, and the way I figure it once its set up... its going to be use headless anyway.  BUT here comes the problem.  The install finishes windows boots up and the screen goes black... well the back-light or whatever goes out, so you can kind of see if you look really close, but not really.  So, I reboot with the same results.... I cannot seem to install an ftp or anything fast enough before the screen goes out.  Also, since the previous OS was wiped there are no drivers installed on it, which means, even if I could install an ftp or a RAT it still wouldent be connected :(

I tried hooking it up to a monitor, and it sends a signal, but its black.  Can anyone help me with a solution on how to get this box on the internet and get some remote tools installed!

P.S- Anyone think of a better use for an old laptop? (512mb RAM- 30gb HD, P4)

When you hook the second monitor up, do you need to hit any functions key combos to turn on the second screen? Mine doe snto just show up on teh second monitor until I hit function+2 key combo. Maybe you need to do the same to turn on the second monitor?

This is difficult.  the Function+2 did not work, thanks though I had not thought of that.  And I have BartPE, but the problem is that the laptop only has a PCMCI wifi card that needs a specific driver (which I am having trouble finding)... (hum.. maybe I can borrow a dongle w/ self installing drivers?).  I think im going to try to use hak5's switchblade technology to make sort out all of this mess without ever having to use a screen... I'll post results as soon as I can get this done.  Any more ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks all!

mine is Function Key + F4 to turn on the second monitor and is a hp pavilion dv9000

Yeah, Now that I think of it, Function + 2 on mine is the WiFi and 4 I think is the monitor. It should be labeled on the keyboard though, so just look at the little symbols across the top of the keys.