Totally new to nmap, need advice.

grs

And the watchamaccallit is what exactly? The IP for the router, the network server, the internet server, my computer or another computer on the network?

watchamacallit is the network range, in most cases this is 192.168.0.* (meaning all LAN ip addresses begin with 192.168.0)

If im correct shouldn't it just be netstat? that usually tells you what other computers are running on the network netstat or something simular

net view usually does the trick

If im correct shouldn't it just be netstat? that usually tells you what other computers are running on the network netstat or something simular

Explain?

as far as I know netstat is for local ports not computers

I've just installed namp on Windows XP, what command do I type to get a list of machine attached to the network?
run ipconfig then use the IP of the defaul gateway except instead of 192.168.???.1 use 192.168.???.1-254

so if the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 run

nmap -sP -T5 192.168.0.1-254

the -T5 means faster and -T0 means slower

if you want to play around some more run

nmap

that will display a help list

also do a search on "Internet Protocol"

So I tried the following and it works:-

nmap -sP -T5 192.168.1.1-254

I have two network connections on my laptop, wireless and wired, both connected. When I did the scan I noticed that I got the IP address for every device but for MAC address it gave me all but my wired connection, which is what the scan went through. Is that to do with nmap not been able to scan itself or do they just figure I type in the ipconfig command to that info?

To get a detailed, like what OS each device is running etc, do I do the following:-

nmap -sL -T5 192.168.1.1-254

Is that correct?

My network at home has 2 laptops 1 NAS server all plugged into 1 Linksys router and 1 Navini Networks Broadband box which is pugged into the "Internet" side of the router. When I try

I get back results for everything except the Navini box why is this, how do I get to see this?

I have just realised that that my broadband is not connected through the Navini box, does this mean the Linksys router won't get an IP till the Navini box connects to my provider?

My network at home has 2 laptops 1 NAS server all plugged into 1 Linksys router and 1 Navini Networks Broadband box which is pugged into the "Internet" side of the router. When I try

I get back results for everything except the Navini box why is this, how do I get to see this?

I have just realised that that my broadband is not connected through the Navini box, does this mean the Linksys router won't get an IP till the Navini box connects to my provider?

depends on the modem settings you might be another 196.168.0.0 (192.168.100.1 in my case) address as it waits for a connection.