Starting A Web Host! I Need Tips On OS And Other Softwares

hsncorrosion

I having started testing some software to start a web hosting server (I will have a dedicated internet connection before servers go online)

I have never used linux before but I have found out that windows is the worst way to run a hosting server.

This is what I need help with

Linux - Which distro?

Control Panel - Which one?

Some Ideas for panel http://sourceforge.net/projects/webcp/  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ravencore/ Would these be good?

I will be using XAMPP To run the server with http, ftp, php, perl, mysql

What else do I need? What tips do you have for me?

I understand that the cost for a dedicated connection will be GREAT, But I am willing to go for it.

You guys have the skills and knowledge to help me get through this, please help me.

EDIT

This will NOT be a  free web host

I have never used linux before but I have found out that windows is the worst way to run a hosting server.

NAAAHH?!?!?! REALLY?!!?!?! I t's not?!?! Really?!?!

http://www.engardelinux.org/

or

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch

http://www.ispconfig.org/

just a little searching would have given you both of these

and fuck xampp unless it's windows and then still fuck xampp

OpenBSD isn't going to work for him without some basic unix expirence, which freeBSD will supply. Redhat is a good choice, I would use CentOS over fedora though.

Same as FreeBSD the newer versions of OpenBSD are easier to install and use now. Why CentOS over Fedora? Fedora is much more user friendly and is very secure, RHEL is a good choice if he has money to spend.

OpenBSD isn't going to work for him without some basic unix expirence, which freeBSD will supply. Redhat is a good choice, I would use CentOS over fedora though.

Same as FreeBSD the newer versions of OpenBSD are easier to install and use now. Why CentOS over Fedora? Fedora is much more user friendly and is very secure, RHEL is a good choice if he has money to spend.

CentOS tends to be more stable.

Maybe, but at this kids level I think FreeBSD would have an easier learning curve. No doubt that openBSD is a nice OS, but coming straight from windows it will be a bit harder. Its a personal choice yes, and he's not going to be able to jump into it straight away, but sitting down with a BSD OS for a few months and figuring it out for himself will teach him far more than simply following a tutorial from howtoforge. And there is no doubt that he needs the expirence to be honest, would do him good.

CentOS is basically a free version of Redhat sans branding and support, so it is basically RHEL but without the costs. Fedora is a nice OS, but its not a production OS.

Lastly, avoid Plesk, webmin+virtualmin is a nice CP for your clients (and free) but cpanel rocks more.

Maybe, but at this kids level I think FreeBSD would have an easier learning curve. No doubt that openBSD is a nice OS, but coming straight from windows it will be a bit harder. Its a personal choice yes, and he's not going to be able to jump into it straight away, but sitting down with a BSD OS for a few months and figuring it out for himself will teach him far more than simply following a tutorial from howtoforge. And there is no doubt that he needs the expirence to be honest, would do him good.

CentOS is basically a free version of Redhat sans branding and support, so it is basically RHEL but without the costs. Fedora is a nice OS, but its not a production OS.

Lastly, avoid Plesk, webmin+virtualmin is a nice CP for your clients (and free) but cpanel rocks more.

Well... OBSD is not that hard to learn... the main reason I suggested it is because its security out of box is amazing. The only other OS that compares in security with OBSD is Solaris... yes I said what you think I said... Solaris... I do not want to start a whole conversation about Solaris and OBSD being the most secure OS'es on earth but Solaris has a very advanced permissions system and is very powerful and secure. It is a good choice for someone with a Unix background, but looking for something user-friendly.

It's security is 'amazing' out the box because it only comes with an SSHd.

Well... OBSD is not that hard to learn... the main reason I suggested it is because its security out of box is amazing. The only other OS that compares in security with OBSD is Solaris... yes I said what you think I said... Solaris... I do not want to start a whole conversation about Solaris and OBSD being the most secure OS'es on earth but Solaris has a very advanced permissions system and is very powerful and secure. It is a good choice for someone with a Unix background, but looking for something user-friendly.

UNIVERSAL ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION:

Don't start a web host if you don't know what you're doing. You're bound to get asked higly technical questions, so buying a managed server or something would be much more fitting than making your own.

However, if you feel the need to do this... FreeBSD is really powerful, and really difficult to use in my personal practice. For the simplest server you can imagine, try SuSE and install ISPConfig using the package manager. It'll install all the pretty dependencies.

Of course I'll get yelled at for saying that, and I don't care at all. I'm right, you're wrong.  :)

ok and looks good :)

I think I'll use CentOS

Also remember to do tons of research. Learn about advanced Security methods, Linux commands, Apache security etc..

I only recommend this because you will encounter difficulties and questions along the way.

@dhp1080

Look at the last date the latest version of VHCS was released. You are correct.