Sharing windows internet connection with Linux

Lex

Hey guys !

I have a windows xp computer and a Linux one . The one with windows has internet access ( and two ethernet cards ) and I would like to be able to access it from Linux too .

After reading on the internet and various forums I found some guides ( none of them working for me though ) .I'm posting the Linux setup I used :

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1
echo nameserver_ip > /etc/resolv.conf

After doing all this , my connection didn't work ( I couldn't even ping the windows computer ) . I found it strange that after

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

i was able to ping and get replys from the windows computer . The internet still doesn't work . Any tips/guides ?

I can't put the second network card in the Linux computer , so please don't suggest that as an option.

Thanks !

It might just be me, but since the problem appears to be a Windows box that doesn't route traffic on, maybe you should enlighten us about its configuration as well.

If your just trying to use the windows box to allow others to connect to the internet through it, make sure windows is told to allow it to give access to other machines to connect through it and it is using the correct adapter.

Go into servies.msc in windows (start > run > services.msc) and make sure the following services are turned on.

- DHCP Client

- DNS Client

- Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

- Server

Go into your LAN adapter setup (where you would add services and protocols) and make sure that ICS is checked (turned on).

- Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection  <---(Or whatever you named your connection, but this is the default for windows first nic card - You will want to configure this for the extra nic card. It may show up as "Local Area Connection 2" or whatever you named it when adding the extra ethernet card.)

Go to "properties" if your LAN connection is running. You should see two tabs. One where you can add connection protocols called General and one called Advanced.

Under Genteral, make sure ICS is on by checking the box that says "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". If it is not listed, add it by clicking Install > Service > File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Now, under the "Advanced" tab, check the box for ICS (Inernet Connection Sharing) to allow others to conenct through your machine to connect to the internet. Also make sure you click the adapter you set up for routing the connection under the "Home Networking Connection". The extra ethernet card you setup above for ICS have should shown up in there, so just select it from the drop down box.

Reboot and that should do the job. If not, you can do a search for ICS XP on microsoft.com for more help

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d_02july01.mspx